Houzz Logo Print
laura_petronzi

Patterned chairs and persian rug...help!

Laura Petronzi
il y a 10 ans
Hello, my husband and I are working on decorating our living room/family room. My dilemma is the rug and the patterned chairs. Ben loves the rug (and all persian rugs) and I love the chairs... We bought them around the same time but I feel as though they don't really work together.
We're also considering painting our walls a bluish grey and the fireplace white/ivory.
I'm looking for thoughts on the rug--- can it work with these chairs? Can another Persian rug work with the chairs? Different colour perhaps?

Thanks,

Laura

Commentaires (43)

• User
    il y a 10 ans
    I would paint the fireplace surround white and the wall behind it dark gray. I would put a mirror over the fireplace. The sofa, coffee table, and chairs seem more modern, the rug traditional. There are way to many throw pillows. Take the ones off the chairs. Just put the two orange ones on the sofa, along with the blue throw over the corner edge. I would add a new area rug in the grey, orange and blue stripe. Perhaps the current rug could be used in your bedroom.
  • Laura Petronzi
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thanks Margo. Yes, I agree with your thoughts and that is pretty much the direction I'm headed. The throw pillows really don't belong but I was too lazy to take another photo... My husband really likes the Persian rug -- we may move this one to a bedroom. We're trying to figure out another rug option for this space.
  • felixgrantham
    il y a 10 ans
    I like the rug & I like the chairs, but your gut is correct - they do not go together. One or the other needs to go. If you have space to move the chairs elsewhere in the room - maybe to make a conversation area in a corner, I think then you could replace them with chairs that are more compatible with the rug. It's a nice large, beautiful rug & I personally like the juxtaposition of the modern sofa with the classical rug.
  • PRO
    Lenore Frances Home Interiors
    il y a 10 ans
    A cleaner, simplified, softer tone-on-tone, geometric rug would look classy with all of your seating. I enjoy mixing traditional with modern or contemporary, but in this case the colors and patterns do not work.
  • rsm49
    il y a 10 ans
    I too suggest removing the rug and using it elsewhere. A soft yellow rug that almost fills the space between sofa and chairs might look good. I would paint the walls gray and add plants in the corner.
  • anne dee
    il y a 10 ans
    Delaware Place · Plus d'infos

A solid color jacquard rug would be nice
    inspiration pic
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    Laura heres the issue, the rug and the chairs have the same type of patten developement
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    they both have light backgrounds, so they compete
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    OK -OK- Gary but how about a POSITIVE solution!
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    calling it like i see it, find a new pair of chairs/recover or find a different rug, not much else. No amount of paint or adding to the situation will ever bring the room together,
  • PRO
    Floor to Ceiling
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    make the fire place your bling, and grey rust vary in rock like. go to the ceiling, get rid of the white. recover the chairs grey is in
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    the rom could use paint/window covering/ and a new pair of chairs.
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    Margo does that help
  • PRO
    Floor to Ceiling
    il y a 10 ans
    that blue / green in the pit i on the fire place is a very good pop for your color put in grey living rooms in the ideas in houzz very nice
  • PRO
    LEWIS & KLADDER
    il y a 10 ans
    If the room is large enough... Move the rug towards the wall behind the sofa letting more of the sofa rest on the rug. Let the chairs and table sit on the bare floor. Paint the room as planned but go a little on the darker side of the spectrum for the wall color. If this won't work because the rug is too large have custom slipcovers made in a solid color.
  • Mark
    il y a 10 ans
    I actually like the chairs, but not with the carpet. The fireplace is too traditional looking it could use a makeover.
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 10 ans
    New rug, new FP, new paint - solved!
  • anne dee
    il y a 10 ans
    @Gary Finley, ASID I find that by being on this site I am continually learning and always appreciate your input and infinite know-how.
    But I need to know what is the bugaboo with the 2 chairs you are so adamant about removing from the space.
    Is it the size, is it the color, is it the pattern? This inquiring mind NEEDS to know!! :)
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    it's the fabric pattern the rug and the chairs "camouflage"
    each other...
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    they are too much the same, like brothers that are much alike ....they FIGHT
  • anne dee
    il y a 10 ans
    Yes I understand that. It's that you suggest that BOTH the rug and chairs exit the space. Why not just the rug OR the chairs? Or have I misread something?
  • PRO
    Persian Crafts
    il y a 10 ans
    Check these photos. They are hand woven Persian rug on sale with free shipment.For more information and receiving our catalogs mail us at:
    thepersiancrafts@gmail.com
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    EITHER.....I was saying find a space in the house for either,
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    then work with the remaining chairs or rug to find a different rug or pair of chairs to move forward with the room
  • PRO
    AvaLON Fireplace
    il y a 10 ans
    Very Beautiful
  • anne dee
    il y a 10 ans
    @GF,ASID I misread. Mea culpa!
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    no worries, these threads of conversation get snaggy
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    Hey Gary, if I still lived in Laguna Hills I would be in my car and at your door LOL...what I find a bit aggrevating is when you say things like "change the rug", "change the chairs" but you do not say what you would change them too. The poster needs to get a visual. Does that help Gary ;)
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    did I say change the rug change the chairs? I looked back to find your quote and couldnt find it.....What I did find was: the room will never be best with these chairs and this rug. Try finding another room for either
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    Margo no doubt you would agree "give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time"
  • User
    il y a 10 ans
    *waving the white flag*
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    if I am hired to find specific solutions I am more than happy to give details, but better for general education is to teach
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    flag acknowledged
  • Mark
    il y a 10 ans
    If monochromatic color schemes are what you like, an area rug like this could work, especially if you want to bring in more orange like you have done in your pillows.
  • sheryl N
    il y a 10 ans
    You should remove the patterned chairs, keep the persian rug-do you know how valuable they are? Especially the handwoven ones-I have 6 in my house with modern furniture in solid colors. Move the chairs to another space and use a solid color rug with them if you like, but keep the Perisan carpet, it's uniquely beautiful and is a work of art in itself! Remove the wood from around the fireplace and replace it with marble or tile and paint your walls a grey/slate color with silver or white curtains. The window treatments would really bring this room together.
  • sheryl N
    il y a 10 ans
    Sorry wrong 2nd pic! ;-)
  • PRO
    GARY FINLEY
    il y a 10 ans
    carefullll!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    il y a 10 ans
    The room seems large enough that could you move the chairs off the area rug and create a separate seating area? Maybe facing the patio door. Move the sofa where the chairs are now, but a little closer in and then purchase two solid chairs to compliment the rug. Move the existing chairs behind the sofa with a small round table between to give you comfy seating for morning coffee, reading or playing games......
    Home Farm 1 · Plus d'infos
    Living room · Plus d'infos
    Madeline Chair, Turquoise · Plus d'infos
    48" Rustic Pine Coffee Table in Espresso Finish · Plus d'infos
    Magnussen T1579 Sotto Wood Round End Table · Plus d'infos
  • rsm49
    il y a 10 ans
  • Laura Petronzi
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thanks for all the comments... I appreciate all of them. We are in the middle of designing this space and making some changes -- as we lease this place, we're subject to what our landlord will approve. In any case, painting the walls, fireplace mantle, and adding curtains are all part of the plans.

Our main question in posting this is whether or not the chairs can work with a persian rug. We have plans to move the current rug to another space and build that room around the rug. The chairs will stay in this space. I do like the idea of the patterned chairs with a patterned rug -- like in the photo example above.

Thanks again to all.
  • Nancy Walton
    il y a 10 ans
    Laura, I find that when you have such an organic pattern as in your chairs, a more geometric pattern for the rug "plays well with others." I think that was the point GF was trying to make--both patterns in the rug and the chairs stem from an organic design...is that correct Gary? I find that counterpoint in pattern design and similarity in color is what makes working with different patterns "work."
  • PRO
    Monarch Sofas
    il y a 10 ans
    I agree with Nancy, a more graphic, geometric pattern rug with more contrast than the chairs would work much better.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».