Houzz Logo Print
tufty007

Belfast sink and laminate worktops

J Tufty
il y a 6 ans

Hi all,

We have a belfast sink we've reclaimed (we actually have 2!) and would like to use it in the new kitchen we're planning. We're probably going to get the kitchen from Wickes.

The Wikes kitchen designer came out and said the only worktop we could have with a belfast sink is either solid marble (very expensive) or solid wood (lots of maintenance and will mark).

So it looks like we'll have to go for a laminate worktop.

I was thinking: is there a way we could still use a belfast sink with a laminate worktop? For example, add a wooden strip around the sink so you couldnt see the MDF/laminate of the surrounding worktop? Does anyone have any examples of where this has been done?

I hope that makes sense. :)

Commentaires (10)

• PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    il y a 6 ans

Hi J Tufty,

First and foremost, I would be grateful if you did not treat my comment as an advertising, but we do the laminate worktops (including bespoke ones). Could we arrange a phone chat tomorrow's afternoon so we can see what can we do? Obviously, no obligations, my colleague will guide you through how we can help you.

We did these kinds of fancy worktops

We've made it for a Family House in Surbiton · Plus d'infos

I hope that is something that might help you.

Have a nice day,

Erwin (Sunstudio.london)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    il y a 6 ans
    You can use laminate worktop with a Belfast sink - but you need to set the sink slightly higher than the worktop -you have to seal the cut worktop ( with a glue or sealant) and you then need to use a bead of sealant around the fixed sink ... here’s a pic .. you can also set the sink slightly higher like this if you ( or your sous chef) is tall -as Belfast sinks can feel quite low for us tall peeps ! Good luck with it all!
    J Tufty a remercié OnePlan
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    il y a 6 ans
    Nb - that was an advert for carex - could you tell ?!? Tee hee !
  • J Tufty
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 6 ans

Chester & Morris Ltd - Bespoke kitchens : Yes, I did think that, but I couldnt find any examples so I didnt think it was possible.

• PRO
    Chester & Morris Ltd - Bespoke Kitchens
    il y a 6 ans
    It is more popular the other way, timber on the island, stone around the outside, but with the right colour choice it can still work that way round. Another option might be a stone insert for the sink unit. I have added a picture, but this is not our work, just a Google image to show how it might look. I think it is less visually pleasing than moving the sink in to a stone island, but better than bodging it in to the laminate top and facing replacing it in three years time.
    J Tufty a remercié Chester & Morris Ltd - Bespoke Kitchens
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    This is a kitchen we did with granite on the island and timber around the outside. However the sink is not in the island here. Obviously stone colour would be personal preference, I would perhaps encourage a whiter quartz personally.
  • PRO
    il y a 6 ans
    This is another kitchen we did an island for the other way round, timber island and existing laminate on the main cabinet runs. Again no sink, but hopefully gives you an idea of how that style feels.
  • PRO
    Culina
    il y a 6 ans

Agree with the One Plan and Chester Morris You can use laminate worktop with a Belfast sink - but you need to set the sink slightly higher than the worktop and the lifetime of the laminate is limited. Have you considered Minerva solid worktop? We would prefer to use Quartz or Granite and avoid wood and laminate for belfast sinks in all projects.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    il y a 6 ans
    Mines been like that for about 9 years with no problems ! No swelling if you seal the cut pieces properly !
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».