Houzz Logo Print
webuser_71660

F&B black blue vs off black kitchen units

Tani H-S
il y a 5 ans
Having decided on a wood shaker style kitchen, I’m trying to now work out which colour would be best.

I wanted black but fear it might be a bit too harsh in a bright south facing room (I know this sounds contradictory but I feel a darker room could carry off the stark black better)

I do, however, like the very dark almost blue black tones as it’s slightly warmer but not too stark.

Picked up some painted samples in the F&B colours I’ve listed above to try but wondered if anyone has used these colours in a light kitchen and how they actually look?

Basically I want it to be an almost softer black tone.

Commentaires (115)

• Jonathan
    il y a 5 ans
    Do you like Hague Blue? I have it in my lounge . In direct sunlight it looks blue. In the evening with soft lighting it looks a midnight black
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi, I’m not sure if it’s a bit too retro/turquoise blue for me. I prefer more of a rich navy blue than a turquoise blue - although on images online it looks everything between turquoise and navy so I’m not sure, LOL.

I can get a sample and try it though :0)
  • Sonia
    il y a 5 ans

I like Hague Blue, but also like Little Greene’s Hicks Blue. I’ve just bought LG Woad for a feature wall in my kitchen (not painted yet) which I love. It’s a true blue, but doesn’t have the blackness you are looking for. Decisions, decisions!

WOAD

HICKS BLUE

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I know! I’m ok if I can actually see it in the flesh but making a decision based on paint samples is difficult for a whole kitchen.

Although to be fair, I only have 2 tall units on the left so you probably won’t see much of them anyway, ha ha.
  • Sonia
    il y a 5 ans

Just a thought, do you think the kitchen company would paint some doors in the blues you like? I know it’s a big ask, but if you saw the colours on a door it may help your decision. However, I bet they won’t!

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Yes they will do samples for me in the door finish. It can take a couple of weeks and I think costs about £70 per door or so but it will be worth it if I can't decide between 2, say.

• Juliet Docherty
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Tani, why don't you paint a couple of coats onto huge pieces of board (greyboard from art shops or Hobbycraft) and tape it to the wall.

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Morning all!
    Got some more testers so currently trying out the following:-

F&B Blue Black
    Mylands Sinner (charcoal grey black)
    Little Greene Basalt (rich deep navy)

Has anyone used the other two colours on kitchen units or furniture??

Will post pics once I’ve done the second coat.

Ultimately, I want a darker unit that’s not jet black but has warmer tones to it - be it a grey tone or a blue tone but without actually being an obvious blue. Warm dark neutral.

The worktop (unless I see a piece of granite I prefer in the meantime) will be this one Chicstone Armani Grey which is a dark warm grey quartz (not brown toned as the pic looks)
  • iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Tan- let me know how you get on. I ordered basalt, blue black and some other tester pots. It arrived at the house but builders have lost the package

• iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

Apologies for spelling Tani H-S!

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

ha ha, that's ok - didn't even notice it to be honest!

• menageriefun
    il y a 5 ans
    Have a look at a_lick_of_paint on Instagram, they have a beautiful Basalt kitchen. Such a lovely, rich colour
  • PRO
    Tower hotel 38 westgate
    il y a 5 ans
    Plimsoll by paint and paper library is a dark but lively sharp blue. Or their squid ink for a softer dark grey blue
  • PRO
    Tower hotel 38 westgate
    il y a 5 ans
    Or their Kigali which is really very dark. Not seen this one in the flesh though
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

not heard of that brand before - just a shame I won't get chance to check them out as I have to make a decision by tomorrow or it will delay the kitchen order by another week, argh.

The Basalt is lovely but is too turquoise blue in some lights for me.

It's just a toss up between F&B blue black now (I prefer it with the sheen coat as it's darker and richer but the matt is too wishy washy looking) and the Mylands Sinner (which matt looks more grey black and with a sheen looks black which might be too dark)

Kitchen designer is coming over at lunch time to have a look at the samples and measure up so the pressure is on. Just not 100% on either one

• donut99
    il y a 5 ans
    the colour above the 3 on your colour chart, railings, is a lovely soft black. That may look lovely, but I'd get some testers even though expensive, well worth it.
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

thanks - the kitchen company have Railings and some of it looks a nice navy and some if it looked grey so it changes quite dramatically with the different lights. I have asked the kitchen company to bring their door sample with them for me to check in my room.

Also painted up off black but not sure if this comes out like a charcoal grey or just a softer black?

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

To update.....

I also had a sample of F&B 'off black' which I had discounted before sampling as I presumed it would be too dark. However, it turned out to be my favourite! Was pretty much the warm charcoal grey I was originally wanting before I moved onto thoughts of Blue. Between Railings and Off Black on the colour chart and with samples, there is not much difference. Both a similar tone but Off Black was just slightly darker.

The Blue Black was too turquoise for me and more of a retro blue tone rather than a navy blue tone so I decided against that in the end.

The Sinner paint was just too black.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what the kitchen company interpret the colour as will be as similar as possible, haha. Eek.

• iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

Will you be using it along side any other colours or are the cabinets going to be off black?

ive just bought railings, and studio green to see which I prefer with pavilion grey. I will be having a colonial white granite worktop and already laid limestone flooring. So many decisions! I know I like them all individually but will it all work togethe???

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    So all the cabinets will be off black - but I only have two full height units and no wall cabinets at the moment. Also a large islan which will probably hide most of the back run of units.

The worktop will be a dark grey quartz which has marble effect through it to add interest. Felt the dark units worked better with a darker worktop for our room.

It cost me £500 for a custom colour so stuck to the same one for all the units and then the island back will be plain panels so if I want to repaint them myself in a blue or add a metal trim around them for interest then it’s much cheaper to do.
  • iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

You absolutely must post pictureS when it’s done. Sounds lovely

• Pavan123
    il y a 5 ans
    So pleased you found what you wanted, definitely post pictures once it's in, bet you can't wait now! xx
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

@Melissa ...

Can I ask if your Black Blue was actually F&B paint or a copy? I ask because (just bumped this question on a separate thread!) the sample the kitchen company did of Off Black apparently looks Blue! Nothing like the original.

• Melissa S
    il y a 5 ans

Eh...we got ours from DIY kitchens who give impression it’s actual Farrow and Ball!

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I’m thinking they probably copy it, ha ha. Could be wrong though but most tend to copy it in the paint finish they use for all their products.
    My tester of the black blue at home looked quite turquoise toned in some lights and not at all a nice navy colour which is what I wanted, so that’s why I thought it might be their own version :0/
  • iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

Heres a picture of the railings half of my kitchen with antique brass knobs. Fitting still in progress :)

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

Lovely! Bet you can't wait until it's all done. I think they are also sending me a Railings sample as well :o)

• iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

theres still so much work to do around the he house but seeing the kitchen come together (slowly) lifts my spirit

• PRO
    User
    il y a 5 ans

Tani - Really feel fort you re colour - I don't understand why isn't the company who is suppling you the doors offering a sample because when we do any wooden shaker doors the colour is different from the colour sample on different wood - I would also go darker as it will appear lighter from the colour sample -See photo as an example - Door Ash Shaker 45 - wall units elephant breath & base units Hauge blue - Hope this helps .

• iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Tani, promised the post photos when its done so here’s what it looks like

• iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

• heatherbroadbent
    il y a 5 ans
    Looks lovely Iyanini.

Only thing I would say is you might have considered a bigger unit on the back wall
  • heatherbroadbent
    il y a 5 ans
    Iyanini14 my smilies didn't come out in my post! It really does look beautiful and the play kitchen is fab.
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    @heather - he he, funny ;0)

Lovely kitchen! Bet you are pleased with it.

I’ve delayed mine until after the new year now because my builders are useless and I doubt the room will be watertight before Xmas so I didn’t want to have to store it in a damp room
  • iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Heather, yes absolutely love it., thank you! Yes we might do in future but right now trialling a small movable island which sits in that space ( behind the table)

Although its a galley kitchen I didn’t want it to feel like a corridor so I do like that Both sides dont mirror each other. We might change our minds later on but it’s pretty easy to add another unit in.

@ Tani, I don’t blame you. We had to move ours 6 times before we were able to fit it in.

In this end it’s worth the hassle!

• Mario Borrero
    il y a 5 ans

Go for Black Blue! :)

• Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans

iyanini14 - I think Heather was being silly as she meant the kiddies play kitchen at the back - saying you might want a bigger one in there as it's small, haha.

@Mario - we went for Off Black in the end with an own brand paint mix so it came out a charcoal grey but with warm undertones (looks blue sometimes). Only got a small sample but it's a warm grey so should work.

• iyanini14
    il y a 5 ans

Oh!!! Trust me to miss the joke:)

My daughter is now asking for A bigger play kitchen too!!

I might just paint it blue black.. love the colour!

• Greg Coltman
    il y a 5 ans

did you do the painting yourself? any tips on painting . Other than get a pro lol!

• G Arnold
    il y a 5 ans
    Greg, it's pretty simple... just a bit of a faff. Steps are (assuming you are painting a non solid wood kitchen)

1. Remove any fiddly bits (eg handles,), I also removed all doors so you can do a proper job near the hinges.
    2. wash down with soap (people usually swear by sugar soap).
    3. lightly sand the areas (optional really as zinsser sticks to nearly anything)
    4. prime with zinsser (sticks to anything)
    5. paint (I use a fine roller, rather than brush, except for really fiddly bits)... 2-3 coats of a decent, tough wood paint will do... I used F&B modern eggshell...
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    @ Greg - no, the company are spray painting it.
    I almost went for primed to do it myself as I thought long term, it would be much easier to do touch ups on and repaint in the future. However, I decided I really couldn’t be bothered to spend hours doing it when I’ve paid for a new kitchen. I would have done if it had been a second hand one though
  • Greg Coltman
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Gary.

yes, it’s a new solid wood kitchen. needs priming and painting. I was wondering if it’s done with doors on or off. Probably off.

Thanks tani.

• Ribena Drinker
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Greg, we very successfully painted our new wooden kitchen doors and end panels, using a pro paint sprayer. No priming required, just a light sand and then two coats of F&B eggshell each side, doors off.

It can be pricey kit to buy, but worth spending a little more to get a good gun. But as a local place wanted about £50 per door to spray them (25 doors + side & end panels) it proved by far the cheaper option.

• Ally
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi Tanya just wondering if you have your kitchen fitted yet ? Be good see how the blue black came out ? As I have similar choice to malt on our kitchen .
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Hello! It’s arrived but is being fitted Monday :0)
    The colour wasn’t quite what I wanted as although it’s not supposed to have any blue in it, if can look blue in some lights. I don’t mind it looking deep navy but sometimes it looks lighter. Will see when it’s all up though as with the worktop on the island and overhang, it will probably just look more black!

Bear in mind the company didn’t use actually F&B paints as they mix their own. Definately advises paying for a test door first as they got the colour totally wrong at first (was bright blue!) and it was hard work getting the manufacturers to check it and do it again. They almost didn’t.
  • Ally
    il y a 5 ans
    You must be excited ? Be good to see some photos once your done I been set on Dark Navy /Black for a while now. What worktop did you decide on in the end ?
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Not excited anymore really as the whole thing (build) has been a saga and the electrician is just ignoring us and hasn’t finished first fix so I can see the kitchen sitting there for another month with us not being able to use it until he bothers to turn up. LOL.

Worktop is called Amani grey - quartz. A darker mid grey with kind of marble tones in it. Not full marble effect but just a bit more raw I guess?
    Will see if it all works when it’s in, ha ha.
  • Ally
    il y a 5 ans
    That’s such a shame I hope you get your electrician to come back and finish the job ! Your worktop sounds lovely good luck
  • hapiak
    il y a 5 ans
    Oh Tani you are going through it with this one. I know it’s been a lengthy process but just think you will be living with it all done for a lot longer than you have lived in the mess getting it done?!?! That’s my mantra at the moment
  • Tani H-S
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Ha ha, yes hopefully. Although the OH wants to get somewhere smaller now but I’ve told him there is no way I’m moving for a few years!!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».