Houzz Logo Print
robinlmorris

Happy accident or too much?

Robin Morris
il y a 5 ans

Our painters were supposed to paint our garage solid gray to match the house, instead they painted the raised squares white to match the upstairs detailing:

My designer thinks it is too much, my mother (who has an art background) loves it. DH and I are torn...

In the long run I want to to put some window boxes upstairs with some flowering/vining plants (hopefully some colorful ones) that may cover part of the top window squares. We also need to redo the driveway and the red brick leading to the door. I am thinking we will do a darker gray stamped concrete or pavers. The door is bright blue.

What do you think?

Keep it!
Make it solid gray!

Commentaires (22)

• PRO
    Saratoga Signature Interiors
    il y a 5 ans

We love it! Tip the painters!

Robin Morris a remercié Saratoga Signature Interiors
  • acm
    il y a 5 ans

It has a funny midcentury retro feel, and draws way too much attention.

Robin Morris a remercié acm
  • User
    il y a 5 ans

Leave it a month or so...by then you will have decided if YOU like it or not. It's an easy diy fix that will take less than an hour....

Robin Morris a remercié User
  • that_tile_girl
    il y a 5 ans

I love the garage, but I'd paint the squares on the second floor solid gray! Especially if you do plan on putting a flower box up there.

Robin Morris a remercié that_tile_girl
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    il y a 5 ans
    I think it’s wrong both places. I would paint the door solid grey so it recedes, I would paint all of the bay white.
    Robin Morris a remercié HALLETT & Co.
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I agree totally with Hallett & Co. - solid gray door and all white bay, especially if your plan for the window boxes and trailing vines comes together.

Robin Morris a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • Chessie
    il y a 5 ans

I think I am okay with the door, but I would definitely get rid of the squares above it. I would much rather that be all gray.

Robin Morris a remercié Chessie
  • Angel 18432
    il y a 5 ans

If you want to make the garage door the feature of the house - leave it as is.

I would make the front door the feature. Garage Door Grey, Upper White.

Then maybe white for the front door as it looks like a pit in there.

Robin Morris a remercié Angel 18432
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 5 ans

IMO the garage door is too uch as it is .

Robin Morris a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • cpaul1
    il y a 5 ans

I would paint the upper box all white to make that whole window area seem bigger and one collective piece. Then in general I am a fan of the garage matching with the front door, so I would paint the garage door one solid color that ties into the front door (which I can't see too well in that pic of what color that is (?))

Robin Morris a remercié cpaul1
  • suezbell
    il y a 5 ans

Keep the garage door w/white squares as is BUT ALSO do something more to enhance the front entry and make it more the focal point of the front of the home.

One option could be to make that sidewalk from the front stoop more prominent and have it extend along the driveway much farther -- perhaps all the way to the point where the back door of a car that is parked in your driveway w/garage door closed would be-- or, if you have a parking/back-in/turn-around space, outline the walk until it reaches that point. Make the overall width of the sidewalk the width of the stoop/steps. Raise the sidewalk one paver thickness above the driveway level and outline it w/pavers on both sides.

Another option could be to extend the roof overhang that is left of the entrance over the stoop to meet the left side of the garage and, perhaps, add an arbor from that overhang to cover the sidewalk all the way to the front exterior wall of the garage.

Another option could be to create a front porch that extends the width of the front of your home left of the garage (or to a point halfway between the left corner and the window) and have the front of the front porch even with the front exterior wall of the garage. Build it w/rafters strong enough to accommodate a porch swing.

Robin Morris a remercié suezbell
  • PRO
    HomeDecorAZ
    il y a 5 ans

I think after the driveway is redone in a darker shade of grey, the white details are going to add needed contrast and interest.

Robin Morris a remercié HomeDecorAZ
  • lizziesma
    il y a 5 ans

I will just say, not everyone with an art background agrees...

Robin Morris a remercié lizziesma
  • suezbell
    il y a 5 ans

Agree with the suggestion of pennydesign that you live with it a while. Leave it at least until next summer before you decide to repaint either part of it.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    il y a 5 ans

I rather like it, it give some interest to a rather plain building. What I would do, though, is paint the trim on the bay and round windows a darker gray (about like the roof). Highlighting them with white just emphasizes that they don't (architecturally) match either each other nor the garage door and the bumpout over it. Even if that is vinyl, it can be painted.

Then wait a while to decide if you like the squares as is, or want to paint out either the upper (my vote) or the garage door.

You could paint the wall around the front door a lighter gray to make it more visible. I like the bright blue on the door.

Robin Morris a remercié raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Robin Morris
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Here is the front door.
    It is literally in a pit... the only way to make the front door the focal point would be to build a different shaped house IMO.

Thanks for all the opinions. Right now I am leaning towards the wait and see approach. Once we redo the stoop, driveway, front gate (not pictured), and landscaping, we can decide easier.
  • User
    il y a 5 ans

I have a royal blue front door, too...I just love it. And guess what? After we painted ours (that was previously stained) everyone in the neighborhood painted their stained doors too...

You can brighten up your door with new paint, and/or add a brass kickplate along the bottom, house numbers door knocker...any or all of those, and get an led (very low energy) light that you can leave on all the time...

Cute house...

Robin Morris a remercié User
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    il y a 5 ans

I agree with Beverly above. The panelized two-tone look doesn't really enhance your house. Might be able to live with the garage that way but the bay definitely looks better as solid white. Hard to tell if the gray on the body of the house is a warm or cool gray. If it is a warm grey I would consider changing the door color to something with warmer tones - maybe a subdued red.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 5 ans

Another option The rectangular decorative trim doesn't seem to fit the house.

Robin Morris a remercié BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Chessie
    il y a 5 ans

Oh I like the first one that BeverlyFLADezinerposted. MUCH better.

Robin Morris a remercié Chessie
  • suezbell
    il y a 5 ans

Would not add a flower box above the garage door ... or anywhere attached to the home ... since they can hold moisture against the house.

IF you do decide to repaint one or the other, repaint the white squares beneath the window rather than repainting the garage door.

Would not paint either solid white ... keeping the same color gray as the rest of the house would be a good idea.

One idea to emphasize your front entry might be to add a white border around the outer edges of the entry it self (same white you have around your windows and doors ) IF, but only if, you can add the same width white to both sides and top of the exterior wall in front of the entrance (unable to see the side adjacent to the garage).

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».