Houzz Logo Print
sandy_solorio

is my area rug too big?

Sandy Solorio
il y a 5 ans
Hello again. I’m literally jumping from one room remodel in my house to another. I just put this area rug down. Is it too big? Do I need to maybe slide more of it under the sectional. The room is 10x12 rug is Any other feedback on the room is welcome :)

Commentaires (27)

• jpp221
    il y a 5 ans
    The rug’s size is perfect. It could stand to be shifted to the left (in photo #1). Yes, that means it covers more of the hardwood floor you just paid $$$ for wand want to show, but as one local designer said on TV a while ago, in reference to the needed size of the hardwood border, “ladies, 6” is more than enough”. (The audience broke down in laughter. She was horrified at what she’d just unknowingly said. “BAD audience!” she said...)

I think the end table on the left is a bit awkward. It’s high and not deep enough—I want to slide it back against the wall but then it would be clumsy to use.
  • jpp221
    il y a 5 ans
    PS—forgot to say—a nice room overall a touch of muted colour would be nice, maybe in curtain panels? But overall, I like your style. Comfortable but fresh, modern-ish.
  • Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Jpp221, thats hilarious!!!! I guess 6 inches it is. I actually hate the end table lol, but anything wider blocks the door. I may do without it. You may think, well you have a bean bag blocking the door. I just put there while I was moving furniture around m. Thanks!
  • Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I actually have contemplated the idea of curtains. Would I do floor length curtains or short curtains? The sectional is up against the wall/window
  • jpp221
    il y a 5 ans
    I hadn’t noticed that was a door behind the bean bag chair. So, I’d be rid of that table. I’d also tuck the rug further under on both sides—keep the aisles clear (especially that rug—you’ll want to keep it clean). As for curtains, unless it’s a kitchen, full length. Slide the sofa forward. If that’s not an option, maybe Roman blinds.
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 5 ans

If everyone on the sofa can reach the coffee table to put things down, you don't need end tables. Consider an arc lamp in the corner behind the sofa that arches over to hover above the coffee table. Rug is good; better too big than too small. Pull it so that there is 12" of bare floor around the wall sides of it and it will anchor the sofa and not block either door. With properly hung drapes you'll need to find another home for the candle sconces.

Living Room · Plus d'infos

Contemporary Living Room · Plus d'infos

• Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Deco, I love this idea! How far off the wall would you think I need to pull the sectional? Just need to make sure I don’t block either door.
  • J J
    il y a 5 ans
    following
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 5 ans

If you can find the right size a small rug might be better

• felizlady
    il y a 5 ans
    Yes, move the rug toward the wall so more of the sectional is on the rug. You need fewer pillows. You need window treatments. Sometimes white and cream clash....try removing everything white-white and see what you think of the gray and cream color palette. Yes, that’s right....you need a color...make that COLOR. Gray goes with many colors, so add a color in a few accents and some art.
  • decoenthusiaste
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

You'll be pulling the rug toward the walls; 12" of floor exposed. Leave enough space between the sofa and walls so the drapes won't be crushed. You can try the sofa entirely on the rug since you won't be using the tables and you want room for the arc lamp. That shouldn't block the traffic path.

• loobab
    il y a 5 ans
    Relaxing room, and with that gorgeous throw, I just want to lay down for a nap!!
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    il y a 5 ans

Size does matter!

• PRO
    Camden Lane Interiors
    il y a 5 ans

It looks like if you try moving the entire sectional on the rug it might work better. Note how the rug is in this space?

Harshaw Residence - In Progress · Plus d'infos

Harshaw Residence - In Progress · Plus d'infos

• Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thank you for your great feedback. I’m planning to move the sectional forward a bit to add an arc floor lamp in the corner behind the sofa. As well as putting up curtains. Any suggestions on the art work to replace what I currently have? I’m also taken down the candle sconces.
  • pink_peony
    il y a 5 ans

Hi Sandy it looks like you don’t have much room to play with on either end of the sofa due to the doors. I don’t think the rug is large enough for you to place the entire sofa on it. But definitely pull it in further under the sectional. The end tables you have are too low. Well definitely the one on the right. Consider a floor lamp there and moving the small table you have to the front of the arm of the sofa using it as more of a garden stool accent. Because iof your limited space for them have you ever considered installing a chandelier? This would eliminate the need for lighting on either side of the sofa. For window treatments always do full length if you’re going to do drapery panels. Again moving the sofa out may inhibit the doors too much. You might consider doing a roman shade on that window in a great fabric. One last thing remove the candle sconces from either side of the window. You don’t need them and they make the space look cluttered. It’s okay to have empty wall so your eyes have some place to rest. Your art Over the sofa on the other side is well proportioned and enough. Hows the bedroom coming along?

• Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi Pink! Your ideas are always amazing! Do you think getting rid of of both end tables is better? I’ve definitely thought about a chandelier, but my ceiling is sloped and not sure how that would look. If I did put up a chandelier would I get rid of the recessed lighting? Room is coming along. I will post the nightstand I purchased on the bedroom discussion.
  • Chandni Bansal
    il y a 5 ans

I love what you have done with the room. I definitely think that rug is a good size and ties the entire room together. I would maybe move the couch to the edge of the rug OR move the wooden side table closer to the edge of the rug.

• csevene
    il y a 5 ans
    Agree rug needs to be pulled back more but appears to be the right size.
    It’s a nice room, looks very inviting (other than those white pillows .. lol)
  • Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    thank you csevene! Yes I agree the pillow have to go. What about changing the frame on the art above the sectional to a thin black frame?
  • pink_peony
    il y a 5 ans

Your can lights can stay and the sloped ceiling should present no problem . I think black frames would look sharp (as I’m nice) on your prints. the Two pillows on the three pillow grouping work it’s the bright white one thatbis off.

• pink_peony
    il y a 5 ans

Some pillow and accent stool/table and chandelier ideas.

Ikat Chevron Geometric Black And White Diamond Throw Pillow Cover Linen Cotton · Plus d'infos

you could add this to your existing pillows and just pull the white Out.

Impression White Black White Chevron Throw Pillow, Organic Sateen · Plus d'infos

Sallie Stool, Black · Plus d'infos

Kate and Laurel Gracen Metal and Wood Nesting End Tables · Plus d'infos

New Home · Plus d'infos

• Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Pink, I love your ideas! Do you think I should change out the art all together?
  • pink_peony
    il y a 5 ans

Sandy art is a highly personal and subjective thing, just like color is. For every person on here who has told you that you need color there is someone else who understands your vision of gray black and white. so now that you’ve asked the question you’re going to get people telling you you need colorful art work. I think the scale of these works. One large piece would also work and so would two medium to large pieces. But content is solely up to your personal taste. I do think black frames will make them sharper . I would ask myself if you like them? Do you want color on the space? If so what? Navy? Yellow? Red? often times , actually most always less is more. If you choose to reframe them use a large mat around them.

• Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Pink, that makes total sense. I’ve never been really into “color” when it come to decorating, I’ve always preferred a neutral color scheme. I will reframe and see how that turns out. Thanks, as always for your help!
  • Sandy Solorio
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Thank you Chandni!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».