Houzz Logo Print
karmayhan

Master Bedroom needs some TLC

Karina S
il y a 5 ans

Over the past nine months (since we moved in) I have been living with what was already installed in the master bedroom. Now it's time to dress the windows myself and I suddenly find myself indecisive, and questioning everything.

We have west and east facing awning windows and double wide north facing picture windows. The master bedroom is at the front of the house and looks over the garden (which has a hedge that may or may not stay) and a semi busy suburb. The east facing window is right next to the front door.

Originally I was going to install double curtains to the floor : sheer curtains for privacy and block out for light and climate.

Now I am wondering if I should instead do ....

* short curtains (kind of like what is already there) ... or

* blinds (double with a sheer and block out) or ...

* leave the space under the window open for storage.

So curtains or blinds?

And if I do blinds what type?

I keep gravitating towards roman but I think that's because it's the only other type I know besides roller (which I am not overly enthusiastic about)

Photo taken recently (mid March). Tree currently gives a lot of privacy during the spring to autumn moves but it may not be staying (having someone inspect our garden as the previous owner has made some questionable botanical choices)

______

real estate photo

_________

Taken after new carpets and painting was done (facing west)

Bedroom door leads straight into the entrance way and directly opposite the lounge room door (so no real privacy coming from that particular window)

Looking east towards the front entrance and driveway (front door sits about where the photo ends on the right)

Western end (looking towards the street)

Western end (looking towards neighbour's driveway and the street)

Western end of the picture window looking towards the street (early winter)

Commentaires (17)

• oklouise
    il y a 5 ans

plantation shutters?

Karina S a remercié oklouise
  • me me
    il y a 5 ans
    The short curtains are out of proportion. If you have curtains, they should be full length. If you want sill height then blinds would be a better option.
  • me me
    il y a 5 ans
    My personal choice would be full length sheer curtains, with blockout over the top.
    Karina S a remercié me me
  • Kate
    il y a 5 ans

i would go blockout blinds behind floor length filmy sheers. Sheers don’t take as much space as blockout curtains when pulled back so you open upto more window. Sheers are also lighter to quickly pull for privacy when dressing,

Karina S a remercié Kate
  • JE C
    il y a 5 ans
    I would go roller blinds, but depends on the look you are going for and the room will be for?
    Karina S a remercié JE C
  • siriuskey
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

For me I wouldn't use sheer curtains of any length, the long ones look particularly bad at night with the blinds down especially if the wall colour is different to the blinds.

I would either do blinds (Julie) with simple full length linen curtains, almost see through or timber shutters (Oklouise).

If you live in a cooler climate curtains would be best

• siriuskey
    il y a 5 ans

Most importantly make sure all window coverings match when viewed from the front outside they can be different on other , rear views

Karina S a remercié siriuskey
  • PRO
    Piega Window Furnishings
    il y a 5 ans

It looks like you have decent reveals so I’d be doing blockout roller blinds fitted into the reveal so they are nice and neat and then a sheer curtain to soften the room. I’d recommend a minimal white track with corner bends. This is More cost effective than lined curtians whilst still giving a lovely soft finish. Definitely want curtains to the floor.

Karina S a remercié Piega Window Furnishings
  • kram58
    il y a 5 ans
    Plantation shutters as they can be open closed or anything in between and will look classy at any time and won’t look out of proportion on any of the windows. Then you can have storage or anything else under the sill
  • Liz
    il y a 5 ans
    White plantation shutters would be my choice but depends on what look you are going for and how you want to decorate rest of room.
  • annb1997
    il y a 5 ans

What a gorgeous picture window, Karina. It appears this wall is curved and is quite a feature. If you require storage, I would consider having a custom shelving unit designed and built to follow the curve of the wall. Apart from that, blinds get my vote for this particular window, individually set into reveals as Piega suggested. And if you don’t plan to use space under winode for furniture or storage, sheers in front of blinds would look great (consider dark sheer fabric too).

Full length drapes are far better looking than short ones, plus they provide thermal benefit. You might consider these for bedrooms, but double blinds with blockout would also work well. I think blinds have come a long way and there are so many gorgeous fabrics and colours to choose.

Agree its visually pleasing to have same type of window treatment on all those facing the street.

Karina S a remercié annb1997
  • annb1997
    il y a 5 ans

Just had another look at your large curved picture window...not sure how a blind would attach to frame and follow the curve too. Have you had a consultant in to advise you?

• PRO
    Riverina Plantation Shutters
    il y a 4 ans

Karina, what did you decide? Do you have some after pics you can share :)

• Souzette Lovell
    il y a 4 ans

I think some of those honeycomb blinds would present a lovely minimal line and make the most of the window. Adding bulk through curtains seems to detract from the view, and then you have the question of where to stack them. If stacked on the sides, you loose those side windows which really add to the sense of space. Those honeycomb blinds are insulating and fit within the window reveal, and squash up to not much bulk at all. The ones looking east could remain down for much of the time (privacy)

• C P
    il y a 4 ans

if not so worried about insulation I'd do white timber Venetian. yes they're a touch dated but still work nicely in a bedroom setting and won't makethings look stumpy!

• C P
    il y a 4 ans

and paint the room white

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».