Houzz Logo Print
speechyclean

backsplash help!

Tracy
il y a 5 ans
Installing backsplash next week and can’t decide how I can get the look I want. I really like the whitewash brick. How do you think that would look? I haven’t found any whitewash brick but have found regular brick veneer that I was thinking of painting. Any thoughts? Can brick like that be painted? Here’s a picture of my kitchen and I areas that I am putting the backsplash.

Commentaires (21)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 5 ans

No. Just NO. Especially no with the appliance garage. NO.

• chiflipper
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

I fear "we" won't be able to steer you away from trying to "Country / Shabby Chic" your lovely kitchen...but I will try. Consider covering the walls with a red & white...or blue & white checked wallpaper (strippable of course). Add coordinating towels etc.

The first "rule" should be "Do no harm".

• Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I can’t stand the four inch black granite. Any one have suggestions as what would look good? I don’t want to be trendy with my decorations and feel that maybe the brick is. I have contractor coming Tuesday to install. Please help
  • Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I don’t like the bread box either but it’s very functional in hiding stuff. Otherwise that space in the corner would be useless in organization. Any ideas to make the space look better?? TIA
  • User
    il y a 5 ans

You have a contractor coming to do what? Is he removing the existing backsplash? Do you have samples of anything your considering.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 5 ans

It's habits , not breadboxes. Clean up the entire kitchen of clutter, resist the attempt to tart up every corner. Do your mail when it comes in. Lose doo dads. Add some hardware to the cabinetry. Leave the backsplash ...............alone : ) Cancel the contractor.

In the meantime. post a photo of the entire kitchen .......and If brave, adjacent spaces.

• Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    These were some samples that I considered. Paint the brick white. The picture was taken on a whim but do need to declutter as well. Future plans include refacing cabinets white and adding handles.
  • Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I will add adjoining rooms as soon as possible. Thank you for suggestions
  • whitney415
    il y a 5 ans

kitchen remodel · Plus d'infos

I went with a metallic tile on accent wall.

• whitney415
    il y a 5 ans

kitchen remodel · Plus d'infos

This is the tile we used on the main kitchen walls. Hopefully this will help with your decision!

• Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    I forgot to add this photo of the other side of my kitchen.
  • Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Love you kitchen Whitney!
  • chloebud
    il y a 5 ans

Tracy, just to be clear, is the 4" backsplash staying? If so, don't add anything else...not a good look. If the 4" splash is going, I would choose a backsplash with no pattern or very little pattern (definitely not brick). You have pattern in your cabinets with the wood grain and some in the countertops. Adding yet more pattern means they'll all be fighting each other.

• jhmarie
    il y a 5 ans

Oak cabinets look best with a simple backsplash. Do you love your counter or not? I ask because if you think you may change out the counter in the near future, wait on the backsplash as backsplash comes after countertop. I have no opinion on your countertop - it looks fine with the cabinets. Because oak has grain, it has some movement. Combine that with a backsplash with too much movement and it can be busy - so a lot will depend on how much the whitewashed brick sinks into the background. Whitney has a lovely kitchen - but white painted cabinets which do not have movement. Painted cabinets can get away with more movement in the backsplash.

Here is my wood kitchens idea book. It as both newer and older, refreshed wood kitchens. You might get some ideas - and I agree to wait on the contractor till you have a good plan in place.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

I chose simple cream subway tile for my oak kitchen and have never regretted my choice.

https://www.houzz.com/photos/my-pics-work-in-progress-phvw-vp~110720042

• PRO
    Kathryn J. LeMaster Art & Design
    il y a 5 ans
    Hi @tracy!

If you’d like to add a backsplash, I’d recommend removing the existing 4” countertop-matching piece, then installing your backsplash! If you are keeping the same oak cabinets and countertop, to avoid being busy and disjointed, it would help to create a reference point to one of those finishes with your new backsplash.

For example, the brick veneer idea! If you go this route, perhaps find a pattern with a bit of the countertop color in it. You could whitewash to lighten up, but could still see some of this color through it.

I’ll attach an image of one of my clients homes where we picked a brick veneer with a color in it that referenced the countertop color!

Hope this helps! If you’re looking for more design help, I did just wrote a free guide with an overview of my 7 step design process as a “thank you” gift when you join my email list, where I also send out free design tips on a weekly basis! You can check it out here: resources.kathrynjlemaster.com/7steps

Happy decorating! -Kathryn
  • Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Update! New pictures added.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 5 ans

What is purpose of overhang on "wrong" side of island? Don't start pecking at this. I think you moved in recently. Live with it for a bit? What do you love/hate? The last worry now is a brick backsplash. NO............ no.

• Tracy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 5 ans
    Jan I’m slowly trying fix up the kitchen. Get cabinets changed to white leaving countertop. We bought the house two years ago. I think if i brighten it up with white or cabinets and backsplash, it will look pulled together
  • PRO
    Kathryn J. LeMaster Art & Design
    il y a 5 ans
    @tracy thanks for the update pictures! What a great space with lots of potential! Yay for painting cabinets! I think if you paint them white, you could definitely go either way with the backsplash. Think of it as “matching” the cabinets, or referencing the countertop - so that you end up with really two main “colors” for those large surfaces between all three categories. It will help simplify and tie together! I love the idea of a white tile backsplash with white cabinets, it’s simple and bright as you said!
  • Diane
    il y a 5 ans
    Tracy,

Looks like a lovey home. It is easy to understand your desire to make this space more to your liking, we all do this with homes. However, it is also easy to get stuck on one element that you hate and end up spending a lot of time and money and still not love the room. You have gotten some great advice here. Maybe think about what you love about the room / house and put together a list of what you must change. Then get some advice as to how the changes will work with the space with the things you can’t change. You have a nice home and a few small changes could make you love it
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».