Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline_horgan

how many lights - understanding lumens???

Jacqueline Horgan
il y a 4 ans

Hi All,
I have a living room with a v low ceiling Aprox 7ft and I am relying on wall uplighters for main light source with 1 recessed light in 2 alcoves at one end of the room an led strip light under mantelpiece and 2 spot lights at the other. The wall lights will be evenly spaced 2 on each opposing walls. My room is approx 23ftx11ft.
I enquired about light projection of some wall lights thinking I would purchase 2 single up lights and 2 double up lights. This is part of the email I got back.

The bulbs are a 5w led which are similar to the 40w incandescent bulbs, and are approx 4 70 lumens.
For your room a Single Morston will give an output of 1.85 lumens per square feet.

The Double Morston will give an output of 3.41 lumens per square feet.

I have no idea whether this will give me enough light. After googling living rooms with 8ft ceilings it suggests 10-20 foot candles 1000-2000 lumens per sq foot. Is that in total or per light? If it’s per light I am way out with these lights and perhaps am unlikely to find suitable lighting. However with spots, recessed lights and some table lamps it may be possible???? Please if anyone can help, I have been searching for lights for months it is now becoming a headache and I need to order something!

Commentaires (3)

• PRO
    Moss Extend
    il y a 4 ans

We would suggest 2/3 circuits

1. A series/sq grid of LED down lights 800mm in from walls and no closer than 1.5m apart (on 1 or 2 circuits).

2. 1 standard lamp and 1-2 table lamps.

If you can put these on a simple dimmer unit you will be able to control the light levels and which circuits you want on.

Hope this helps.

Moss Extend

t. 02072349350

e. info@moss-architecture.com

• Jacqueline Horgan
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Hi
    Thanks for this. I’m not an electrician so when you say 2/3 circuits do you mean 2-3 lights in addition to what I have already?
    And when you mention standard lights and table lights is that as well as or as another option to additional lights being installed in walls/ ceilings?
    Only asking as I am now stuck with what I have as in 2 recessed spots, 2 spot lights an led strip light under mantle and 4 wall lights. These will be my main lights. I am able to have standard lights and table lighting though.

• PRO
    Moss Extend
    il y a 4 ans

Hi Jacqueline

Don't worry about the lumens, its a bit technical and not really helpful unless you want task lighting for work.

In laymen's terms - circuits = light switches.

I'm assuming you are starting from fresh, which is probably the best way forward.

Items 1 & 2, as I have described above are to work together.

The idea is to have a flexible option. You can have a standard lamp and table lamps on or if you want more light you can also turn on the LED down lights.

If you've stuck with what you ave I would just add the lamps, say 1 standard and 2 table lamps. You can put in bulbs that provide bright or dim light, to suit your needs.

Phil

Moss Extend

t. 02072349350

e. info@moss-architecture.com

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».