Houzz Logo Print
joanne_beaumont83

Advise on ground floor extension layout

Joanne B
il y a 4 ans

Hi, we're in the early stages of planning a double storey side and first floor rear extension to our traditional 1930s house. Our architect has drawn up some plans and whilst they do achieve most of what we are after, I'm not sure we're making the best use of the space.

I think my preferred plan is below but I'm worried that because of the door to the utility room, the allowed kitchen won't have enough cupboard or worktop space (I ideally want a bank of full height units for fridge and oven and not have the hob or sink on the island).

The architects answer was to extend further single storey out the back to give a longer run of units but this pushes us over our already tight budget and seems a mad use of money simply to provide space for a to access the utility room.

Any ideas for a better solution?

This is the existing house so you can see the difference.

Commentaires (5)

• PRO
    Studio Vonne
    il y a 4 ans

Hi Joanne, what will you mostly use the utility for? Will it be for washing machine and tumble dryer etc? Just thinking its a long route around if you want to take your washing upstairs. Do you actually need access through the kitchen? I know traditionally that's where it is but is it necessary in your case? Could you move the dividing wall to the right so there is access to the utility via the hallway, then have a very large island. Perhaps change the double doors to a single door and extend the worktop a bit further? Alternatively, could you keep access through the kitchen then divide the utility space so some of it can be used as a pantry - therefore needing less cupboard space in the kitchen?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    il y a 4 ans

Hi Joanne,
    This is an exciting opportunity for you ! SV above, makes a great observation about the trek to the laundry. One other thing that also shouts out to me is the lack of soft seating to accommodate the 14 or so people you are expecting for dinner ? I think you’d benefit for a good session with your Architect, or maybe even consider bringing onboard another designer to thrash out the overall layout with you as part of the process . ( pretty much like what we do with clients ) then take the updated plans back to your Architect for their input on the new layout ?
    There are some side and rear extended projects I think on our pro page if you want to look through some. Just click on my name or icon to get there !

• Joanne B
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Thanks for the comments

@studiovonne - yes the utility will house washing machine, boiler, cleaning stuff, bulk buys etc. it doesn't need to be accessed from the kitchen by any means but if we move the wall as you suggested it is almost back to its existing position and couldn't justify the cost of moving it such a small amount. We wanted to move the wall because otherwise it is a huge utility room (currently the size of our kitchen which isn't a bad size just not the open plan space we want).

@oneplan - I'd like to get some other input to the layout but we have chosen an architect that was quite expensive with the feeling that he would come up with some clever ideas to solve the issues to get what we want but so far that doesn't seem to be happening!

I'm currently playing with having a dog leg into the hallway to allow access from the hall way but without losing all the space in the kitchen area or even having a diagonal wall from the utility door in the hall to the door into the kitchen but I just cant come up with a kitchen layout that gives me everything I want!

• PRO
    Lees Munday Architects
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

So many lost opportunities:

Click on the image to expand

1) the long extension is blocked by the office. Far more dramatic if the full length and outlook and light at both ends can be used.

2) The kitchen is contrived but doesn't work, as you say.

3) A powerful symmetry can be gained in all aspects of the kitchen/dining/slobbing seating area.

4) space for a big bookshelf/tv wall in the casual seating area

5) space for coat hanging in the hall and utility (none in the original)

6) Kitchen and dining are interchangeable depending on preference.

7) a less space wasting office with direct access to the garden. Could alternatively be a kids room for the avalanche of plastic.

8) Significantly less expensive because the wall is kept, but the chimney is removed in this floor.

9) I would use sliding doors at the ends. Minimal frame type with just 2 panels. Bi folds are really ugly when closed (most of the time).

10) you could extend the kitchen worktop outside as an outdoor kitchen.

I did this out of personal interest because I could see lost opportunities and it bugged me so I had to solve it. But if you want help or just to discuss, please get in touch. Leesmunday.com

Underground house · Plus d'infos

Merchants House · Plus d'infos

• Joanne B
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

@leesmunday thanks for your comments. Funnily enough we had lots of the similar thoughts and so have a revised plan now.

We have had to leave the kitchen where it is as we want space to extend the dining table let to seat 20+ and otherwise the island is in the way so we're just going to have to be clever with the layout.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».