Houzz Logo Print
webuser_842569361

New house build, to start or not? We knocked it down end Feb

New builder 2020
il y a 4 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 4 ans

Hi! After 3 years bureaucratic hold up in council we got approval for our new build, a great builder, built many of friends houses, banks are very weary of us starting during pandemic. It seems building industry is chugging on but I have relatives in commercial building who says companies are prepared to shut down at any time. We have the land sitting empty and are in another too small house with 2 kids. It is a big decision and I would like instructive feedback from trade professionals working now. I wonder if suppliers will have issues supplying or trades or certifications...such a big decision. Thanks in advance

Commentaires (11)

• PRO
    papercourtyard
    il y a 4 ans

I doubt anyone has a really good answer to be honest but I know that a lot of projects have been cancelled. If you have a builder who you can trust, you should speak to him.

New builder 2020 a remercié papercourtyard
  • Kate
    il y a 4 ans

Most would love the work. So go for it and save someone’s job.

New builder 2020 a remercié Kate
  • PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    il y a 4 ans

The main construction issue could be supply. A residential project can can still practically progress with appropriate social distancing measures in place - the construction timeframe may of course increase with limited activity on site at any given time. Assuming your work situation ensures your continuing capacity to fund the project, since you're past the point of no return following knock-over, and with a great builder board, I'd suggest pushing forward........good luck & stay well PD

www.pauldistefanodesign.com

New builder 2020 a remercié Paul Di Stefano Design
  • PRO
    OnlineWaterproofingShop
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

At the moment, supply in Australia is not a problem.

We all will depend on logistics and how they are affected going forward is not fully understood.

Basically will building materials be considered an essential service?

Are the materials imported?

This means increase bio security concerns.

So if your going ahead make sure supply will be available.

Good luck with your project

New builder 2020 a remercié OnlineWaterproofingShop
  • Kate
    il y a 4 ans

Prebuilt Homes would love more work to keep staff going. It’s business as usual if people have their finances sorted.

• mummagabz
    il y a 4 ans

We are literally starting our build in the next week or so, what has been a 21 month process to get to this point, we got our final DA approval last week, we had a chat to our builder and he is keen to progress, like many he is keen to keep working and keeping staff in jobs while he can.

We are doing a cost plus build, originally our surveying was quoted at $3300, today the same guy did it for $2700 because he wanted the work, was able to come straight out and complete once given the go ahead. While it’s nice to potentially gets some savings moving forward, it’s certainly nice knowing that our build can potentially help people keep their businesses opened in the midst of this crisis.

New builder 2020 a remercié mummagabz
  • Kate
    il y a 4 ans

Hi it goes smoothly mummagabz

• Audrey1967!
    il y a 4 ans

mummagabz where did you say were the plans to your house...I remember on another post your said it was going to be modern mid-century. I would love to see the planned design. BTW I have had some delays on some drawer runners for a vanity, because the company is working with a skeleton staff at the moment. There may be minor hold-ups but I am watching a massive build happening next door to me and haven't heard of any issues with supply etc Yet.

New builder 2020 a remercié Audrey1967!
  • New builder 2020
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Thanks everyone, you have been so wonderful in your comments, really helpful, we are going ahead. I am SOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!! The bank wanted a more comprehensive broken down payment structure so the big amounts were more controlled and suggested putting the money in a trust so both the builder and we 1) know the money is there and is for that build 2) the payments for each part of the job need to be shown to the solicitor for payment on receipt. This has involved us paying a little bit for a solicitor, but it is better for the builder and us as we both have security. Just waiting for the builder to get his contract to us.

• mummagabz
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

@Audrey1967! this is a virtual picture of the frontage if our house... hoping it turns out similar! We have different render colours and will be using recycled brick.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».