Houzz Logo Print
webuser_596542966

Victorian side return layout

Katherine
il y a 4 ans

We are planning on extending into our SW facing side return but can’t decide where to put the kitchen. Most are in the area near the garden but we would really like a seating and dining area linked to the garden so are thinking of putting it in the original dining room. I‘m struggling to find many images or articles where people have done it so I’m worried it isn’t a good idea and it will

make for a darker less appealing kitchen?

We will open up as much as possible and are planning to take out the wall between the kitchen and original dining room (bar a column for boxing in the soil pipe and allowing steel to rest on) plus rejigging the entrances to make just one. We wondered about putting the loo in between the front room and the back of the original dining room to move the kitchen forward a bit? Excuse the terrible attempt to show this on the plan!

What do you think is the best layout?

Commentaires (6)

• arc3d
    il y a 4 ans

Hi Katherine,

What is the light grey line on the far left side of the ground floor plan? Is that your boundary? If not, then why not extend all the way across and have both kitchen and living area meet with garden?

• Katherine
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

Hi @arc3d and @Jonathan, thanks for your comments. The light grey line is the property boundary so unfortunately we can’t go all the way up to it and we’d like a path from the front to the back of the Property.

• arc3d
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

In that case. I would suggest moving the WC to under the stairs and borrow some room from the garage for the utility room. The current utility room I would convert to a breakfast nook and replace the two corner walls with sliding glass or bi fold door at a 45 degree angle. That will bring in lots of light to kitchen and nook and give nice views along the path and to the garden. Removing the utility room wall also means you can have a much bigger kitchen island.

Just a quick sketch...

(Or if borrowing room from the garage is not an option then put the utility room where the wc originally was.)

• PRO
    Guy Taylor Associates
    il y a 4 ans

Katherine

We have a several completed projects where the Kitchen has been placed in the original dining room. This allows the seating to be focussed around the garden and although the Kitchen is set back further away it’s possible to orientate the Kitchen so that it benefits from those same views. It can create a more social space as the kitchen hasn’t got its back to the dining and lounge seating.

Lighting is key. Carefully placed windows and roof lights. The Victorian houses are usually elevated from the garden level so we have often lowered the internal floor to get level access to the garden and also to create a taller, brighter space inside.

I’d be very happy to share photos, drawings etc. Just send me an email chris@guytaylorassociates.co.uk

• PRO
    Firth Associates
    il y a 4 ans

We could have a look at it for you in virtual reality if this is something you are interested in? We provide a full range of design services online so please feel free to get in in touch.

Best Regards

Joel Firth

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».