Houzz Logo Print
angela_salveta

Island with seating or no?

Angela Wattle
il y a 3 ans

We have a long and narrow kitchen and are doing a full gut. While we do have space for a 10 foot wide x 2 foot deep island, I'm not sure if we should create a "pocket" for seating or not. There is 40 inches from the cabinets to the island on the front side and from the wall to the island on the back side. Also, if we were to add the pocket for seating it would be located in front of the main doorway that enters the kitchen, however directly to the right is the rest of our open concept space with another large entrance into the space.

Help me decide if I should just forget the seating pocket and make it a prep island or add the seating. Here is a rendering of how it would look:

Here is a top down rendering of the space so you can see how close the doorway is to the island.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Commentaires (13)

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    il y a 3 ans

Not enough room.

• PRO
    TJP Designs and Construction LLC
    il y a 3 ans

It might be possible to utilize the end of the island with a layout similar to this for 2 or 3 chairs

:

• megs1030
    il y a 3 ans

I would argue that there's not enough room for seating.

How much space is there between the fridge and the island?

• Angela Wattle
    il y a 3 ans

36”

• User
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

There’s not room for that island either. This should be a galley with peninsula. A peninsula would have room for seating.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 3 ans

too narrow. and w/the dining table right there, somewhat redundant. (if you had a wide open expanse, I'd say ok).

so this is what you want? this island appears to have a lot more room since you can just see see a doorway. that would make this aisle behind the chairs at least another 3-4 feet.

can that door in the kitchen be moved so that you can do cabs along that wall?

I also think the fridge would look less obstructive if it was moved to the far, back corner, and the stove brought up to the front.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    il y a 3 ans

Not sure I'm sold on a peninsula, but there's definitely not enough space for an island with seating:

• Angela Wattle
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Thank you all for your feedback, after taping the island out on the floor it feels too obtrusive due to where the entrance of the kitchen is located.

I have come up with a new design if you're interested or have any thoughts. Please note the peninsula would have a 12" overhang for seating my program just won't allow me to do that.

• felizlady
    il y a 3 ans

40 inches between cabinets and the island is not enough space. Forget about island seating: you don’t have the room and you have a table and chairs just around the corner.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    il y a 3 ans

Just doesn't appear to be enough room for seating or, as others have said, the island itself unfortunately.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    il y a 3 ans

IMO you need min. 48" and I find 60" better with seating so no you do not have space for seating along the side in fact 40" for walkspace is too small in front of the fridge too and 42" is the min all walkways should be and 48" in front of fridge. To be honest I do not think and island is a good idea in this space I think a galley style kitchen is what you need.

• roarah
    il y a 3 ans

I have a similar width, a tad wider but I have a back row of cabinets now and it is too wide for a good functioning galley but to narrow for a proper island with storage so I use a boes top harvest table at 36 inch height with stools tucked under it. I love it for everyday and it is not permanent so I can move it out of the way if need be.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    il y a 3 ans

If you're OK with having the fridge on the wall with the door, I'd do as LWO suggests, and have a straight galley.

Use a standard-depth fridge, and pull the cabinets beside it out to match the depth of the fridge box. You can use roll outs or true pull outs for a tall pantry.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».