Houzz Logo Print
valerie_pearce13

Updating our 1960’s Bungalow

Valerie Pearce
il y a 3 ans

We have recently moved into a beautiful 1960’s bungalow and would like some ideas of how to improve and update. We would like to add an en-suite shower to the main bedroom and redesign the wardrobes to utilise the space. The single toilet next to bedroom could also convert to a en-suite.
Would like to create a large modern kitchen with social space and utility room,small separate lounge room and a small office space
Would love to hear any suggestions or new ideas for us to consider please

Commentaires (12)

• User
    il y a 3 ans

Why the voting buttons?

• Valerie Pearce
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

I have no idea, thanks for pointing out? I will try and remove!

• E D
    il y a 3 ans

Why the apostrophe?

😆

• Wendy
    il y a 3 ans

We had a similar 60s bungalow and had a 3 metre extension right across the back to give us an en suite bedroom, utility and toilet for easy access from the garden, With the back door behind the bathroom A kitchen extension without the back door gives extra room for units etc. and a garden room with vaulted ceiling at the end of the lounge. We love it all. We would recommend light tubes into the old bathroom and en suite which makes them light. The toilet by the back door has been useful for socially isolated garden visits in recent weeks. We really appreciate our new home which was worth the disruption etc during the building works, Beware that we ended up spending more as we updated all the heating and Electrics while the work was going on, but it was one big mess and saved time and money in the long run. Have fun. W

• jackiep3
    il y a 3 ans

I would do away with the middle bedroom, split it down the middle and have an ensuite for both the two outside bedrooms. The original bathroom would become a small boxroom (sofabed) or a study. Block off the door from the hall into the kitchen and open up the kitchen and living room into one big space. I would/could possibly do something about the hall and porch too as there seems to be a lot of wasted space. Good luck with whatever you do.

• PRO
    Archit_studio2
    il y a 3 ans

Hi Valerie,

this is a rough sketch about my idea.

In the existing house there is an open porch, the porch and then a big hall.

I think that you don't need all this space just for the entrance.

I created just an open porch and then the hall with a cupboard (for coats and shoes) in front of the main door.

-Bedroom 1: master bedroom; en-suite with a new window at side; dressing room using part of the existing porch.

-Bedroom 2: new wall between bedroom 2 and 3 to create cupboard for both room.

-Bedroom 3: reduced the size of the room to realize an en-suite using the existing wc.

-Family bathroom: same size; demolition of existing storage to put a bath.

-Kitchen/dining: demolish wall between kitchen and living room; kitchen units with island; new big window; bi-fold doors at rear.

-Utility room: same position as existing; pocket door. If you need more space, we can reduce the garage.

-Living room: as requested is a small area, but connected to the kitchen/dining with double pocket door. In this way you can have a huge open space. I think that you don't need the french doors at front, but just a big window.

-Study: new small study created, reducing the existing porch.

I'm wondering if you need 2 garages, or maybe one of them can be converted and added to the house.

If you want to talk about more option, feel free to call us:

We have a long experience in residencial houses and interior design, if you like we can arrange a zoom meeting to show you our jobs.

Regards

Helga

Valerie Pearce a remercié Archit_studio2
  • PRO
    Prime Living
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

A lightwell can add height and really transform a kitchen or living area in a bungalow.

Valerie Pearce a remercié Prime Living
  • Julian Cheese
    il y a 3 ans

Do you like open plan? How much work do you want to do? I a only

• Julian Cheese
    il y a 3 ans

an amateur who accidentally pressed the post button. But you have a lovely property there. The drainage is clearly to the back of the house so that may constrain en-suit bathrooms positions gain vs cost decisions. Clearly knock bathroom and loo together. Then consider kitchen living space again as one space or enlarge the doorway so they could be shut off if needed. Consider double sliding doors behind the cabinets in a false wall they give a huge impression of gained space. Do you need the two garages? Garage closest to the main house could easily be incorporated into the space as a further spare bedroom (if needed), games room, office etc. Apart from punching through the doorway this would have minimal effect on the rest of the house.

Valerie Pearce a remercié Julian Cheese
  • Richard L
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

New windows and front step, front door - would make the world of difference.

Lose the Georgian bars/leaded window panes (depends if you lilke them)

Don't be tempted to remove the garage unless you really have to.

You might fill it with junk - but plenty of people have hobbies which need garage space - bikes/motorcycles/boats/classic cars etc.

Think twice before ensuites - they steal space from bedrooms and unless you are building a boutique hotel/guesthouse may not be needed.

Valerie Pearce a remercié Richard L
  • PRO
    Nest Estimating Ltd
    il y a 3 ans

Hi Valerie, if you would like to get an idea of costs before proceeding with works then we can provide you with a budget cost estimate. This can be done before or after Architect drawings are in place.

If you'd like a quote for our service please let us know.

Jemma @ Nest Estimating

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».