Houzz Logo Print
webuser_336174211

What are my options with a teeny tiny bathroom?

Barbara M
il y a 3 ans

My big projects that we hired a contractor for last year have finally gotten completed so I'm in the starting stages of the next project. YAY!

Our "master" bathroom is super tiny, and while we aren't able to do anything about the size, we are wanting to renovate to get rid of the dated look.

Our current vanity is 18" deep with a counter top that is 19" deep and intersects the door casing. I know I could find a place to build a custom vanity or buy one that's 17" but I would like to know if I have any other options? I know the work of cutting into the casing is not good quality work but is this something that would be an acceptable look IF it had been done clean and neat?

Commentaires (24)

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

Do you have a floor plan or can sketch one? And what is your style/budget

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

I am not sure why the casing is there as that is not a doorway? A few more pics will help

• Barbara M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

It is the door to the bathroom that is right inside of our bedroom doorway. I'll post more when I get home from work. The casing is the only photo I had thought to get ahead of time.

• Barbara M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

It's too small to be able to do anything layout wise as far as I can tell. There is a bathroom on the other side of the left wall and a bedroom on the other side of the right wall that is all ready too small to steal space from.

I'll be taking away the toilet cabinet and mounting one on the wall and possibly getting a medicine cabinet mirror to replace the mirror we have now to hopefully give us more storage.

I would love to have a pocket door installed but that would be over $1000 and really wouldn't gain more than a couple inches for us so I'm not sure if we will be going that route.

Style is traditional. I don't want a vanity with feet on it because I don't want to deal with trying to clean under it. The round ones I have seen are really small and don't fit our style at all but I would consider one if it was big enough.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

What size is current vanity

• Barbara M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

LilDesignWorks: Vanity is 18'x36". Counter top is 19'x37"

Geraghty: I've never heard of an in wall tank toilet. I'll have to look into that to see if it's an option for us. Thank you!

What do you mean by "shaped vanity"?

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

I agree with @Geraghty and Associates an in wall tank toilet saves space and has a very clean look. If you can afford the cost go for it!

Regarding the shower: sticking with a sliding door would be the best use of space, having an extra door open out is too crammed.

Regarding vanity- could you extend the space by 4"?

If so I would suggest a linen cabinet close to the door(at 16" widex 4" deepx 72" tall), followed by a 24" vanity(with a mirror medicine cabinet above) and keep the cabinet above the toilet(its also 72" tall like the linen cabinet so it will look balanced). This will maximize your storage space

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

Barbara M a remercié LilDesignWorks
  • PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

Linen cabinet

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

Vanity

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

Above toilet cabinet

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

And add a nice light

• Barbara M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

We don't have an extra 4" of space to work with but the linen cabinet is a creative way around our limitations so that is also something I will consider. Thank you.

• badgergal
    il y a 3 ans

My hall bath has the countertop and door casing intersecting like yours does but mine is done very neatly and doesn’t bother me at all.

My vanity is 21” deep and I could have used one that was 18” deep and maybe have avoided the intersection but I opted for the deeper cabinets for more storage and more counter top space.

I imagine you need every inch you can get in the bathroom. If you are redoing the countertops than you should be able to get it to the trim and countertop intersection to look better than it does now.

Barbara M a remercié badgergal
  • PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    il y a 3 ans

You can look for a narrower vanity 18-20" or a narrower linen cabinet 12"instead of 16"

• Barbara M.
    il y a 3 ans

badgergal What was done to the trim in front of the vanity cabinets? Did it need to be trimmed narrower all the way to the floor or are the cabinets set back enough to avoid that? That is very clean. I might be able to live with something like that.

• RedRyder
    il y a 3 ans

Following

• Alana Willick
    il y a 3 ans

I agree with the shaped vanity suggestion above. They still have storage, and the sides would be stepped back enough to avoid the door trim.

Barbara M a remercié Alana Willick
  • felizlady
    il y a 3 ans

A pocket door may not close tightly enough for sound privacy or odor control. An exhaust fan is a must-have, in my opinion.

• Barbara M
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

I grew up in a house with majority pocket doors and this was thankfully never an issue. We still likely won't go that direction because of the cost. That makes me sad. I wish more houses used pocket doors especially when making ultra tiny rooms.

• PRO
    Geraghty and Associates
    il y a 3 ans

The shower door option should have a double hinge application to swing in when entering and out when exiting... this will allow for an opening about 4" wider than doing a sliding door, making it more ergonomically appropriate while easily pushed in out of the way... The shaped vanity would ideally be custom for this space, with the storage one each side recessed in about 3"- allowing for an adequately large lavatory bowl in the centre. I sometimes use an offset single level faucet to one side of the bowl because of the shallow depth of the vanity, but it would be preferable to use a wall mounted faucet to save additional space and make cleaning surfaces much easier.

• AJCN
    il y a 3 ans

Small detail, but helpful if you want a hinged shower door: as mentioned above have it able to open inward and outward. Ours does that and it’s very nice.

• badgergal
    il y a 3 ans

Barbara, yes the door casing did need to be trimmed where it meets the cabinet. The casing is 3” wide but was cut down to 2.25” to accommodate the cabinets. Hopefully you can see that in this picture

In addition to trimming the casing, we needed to use a 1” filler strip between the cabinet and the wall so that the drawers would clear the casing.

One last picture from a little further back so you get get a better idea of the overall look.

A curved cabinet that others have mentioned might work but if there are drawers on each end and they are set back 3” or so you will end up with very shallow drawers. Remember, the interior dimension of the drawer will be a couple inches less than the depth of the cabinet at that point.

Good luck with your remodel.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».