Houzz Logo Print
webuser_526430167

Coving and picture rail in a small room

Utilisateur Houzz - 526430167
il y a 3 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 3 ans

Hi,First time posting on here, we are currently buying a small 3 bedroom semi detached house. The living room measures 11ft 2" x 13ft 3" with a standard height ceiling and has a ornamental fireplace with a gas fire flush on the narrowest wall with no alcoves.
I was thinking about putting some nice coving and a picture rail up and painting it and in between white, the same colour as the ceiling.
Wouldd this make the room look even smaller? I've looked online and read conflicting advice.

Commentaires (11)

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

I’m not sure about a picture rail unless it’s original. How old is the house? Do you have a picture of the room?

• Laura
    il y a 3 ans

You say the ceiling height is standard, but the definition of that isn’t clear. Standard height ceiling in a Victorian house is probably close to 3m whilst in a newer house it’ll be closer to 2m.

Have you got any pictures you can share?

• Utilisateur Houzz - 526430167
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 3 ans

Sorry, the room already has coving fitted, I meant just adding a picture rail.

I like the look of this room and wondered if it would look okay with a similar colour scheme.

• PRO
    STUDIO TO
    il y a 3 ans

Hi, looking at the pics you sent, I would say no picture rail. Ceiling seems already quite low.

Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Yes that's what I thought.

• minnie101
    il y a 3 ans

I very crudely photoshopped it for you. What is the period of the house? I can’t quite make out the window and am unsure if the fire is original? Just thinking some panelling may work, whichever style works with the house, if you’re keen to add features?

Utilisateur Houzz - 526430167 a remercié minnie101
  • PRO
    Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
    il y a 3 ans

there is a in thing at the moment to take the ceiling colour down the wall 30cm or so (masking it off) - to give the illusion of greater height to the room this might be an option and if you don't like it there is no picture rail expense or difficulty in removing it later!

Utilisateur Houzz - 526430167 a remercié Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 3 ans

Thanks Christine, no harm in trying that at all and if it looks okay we can add a picture rail later down the line. We also need to buy new furniture and furnishings as well so will look into some of the suggestions when we buy to try and make it look more spacious.

We were also thinking about removing the fireplace / hearth and installing a inset hole in the wall low profile gas fire with surround and mounting our TV above it (will only have the fire on low during the winter) and maybe putting a chair where the TV is now

• Sonia
    il y a 3 ans

I can’t quite see the fireplace but often they are a lovely feature. You could paint it white?

Utilisateur Houzz - 526430167 a remercié Sonia
  • Ellie
    il y a 3 ans

I think your ceiling is too low for a picture rail. In the pic you like, your ceiling is about the height of the picture rail.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».