Houzz Logo Print
oreotimmy

Red brick ranch needs help choosing James Hardie siding

oreotimmy
il y a 2 ans

After 20 years, my little red brick ranch is getting a facelift. I’m going to spring for James Hardie siding to replace the steel installed by the previous owners. Thinking smooth narrow boards, but open to suggestion. My big dilemma is deciding what color siding and trim will look best with the permanent features—red brick and white windows. My intention is to go more modern—lose the shutters, get larger numbers and lighting, and minimize the awkward gable. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Commentaires (22)

• felizlady
    il y a 2 ans

If you want to have a bench out front, fill the unplanted area with concrete or concrete tiles, and place the bench on the hard surface so the basement window is not hidden. Paint the exposed basement walls to match the brick or the siding for a more unified facade. The garage door would look better if it matched the style and direction of the siding. Many colors look good with brick: a gray-green or gray-blue would work with the roof, too. If you want a lighter color, consider a creamy white for the garage door and siding. The gable isn’t really awkward…it adds a nice bit of shape to the front elevation. Any front yard will benefit from the addition of a garden area with some color.
    Azaleas grow well in many gardening zones, but the local nursery could give you several options for a garden. Consider what the garden plants will look like in your area’s winter season.

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you for your comments, Felizlady! I agree that something needs to be done about the exposed basement walls, perhaps a stain to match the new siding. I like your idea of a gray green with the brick. I don’t know what color James Hardie siding that would be yet. What color would you suggest for the trim? I think I will paint the garage door to match the siding. Thank you for saying the gable is not really awkward; don’t you think I should try to minimize it, perhaps with darker siding, or lack of trim? I want a more modern look, and think the gable goes against that, but not sure.

I should have mentioned that I am going to have landscaping done and have received a couple of estimates on that. Because of a large Linden tree to the right, there is so much shade that I haven’t had any success in growing any foundation plants in 20 years, so I’m planning to have a small paver patio along with a new walkway, and trade out the bench for two cushioned all-weather chairs and a small table.

• houssaon
    il y a 2 ans

I wonder why foundation plantings like yew, boxwood, and mountain laurel wouldn't do well even with shade. I have two almost 100 year old trees, a maple and an oak, that shade my house all day and have never had a problem.

I would like to see a railing for your steps.

I would not do thin clapboards. Keep the current reveal or do board and batten. James Hardie has wonderful paint colors. With the red brick and the charcoal roof, I can see your house in white, fern green, dark or light gray. The right blue would also work.

Good luck!

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you for your comments, houssaon! Yes, I need a railing! (I have a very troublesome pair of knees!).

I have to admit I have not tried yew, boxwood or mountain laurel in my deep shade. Do you think it would be better for me to try to do a foundation planting with one of these than to have a small patio built (which I will seldom use)? I looked at your idea book briefly and love your ideas. I would value your opinion on this.

Also, I am interested in your recommendation that I not do thin clapboards. Is it because of the size of the brick; that you feel I need contrast?

As to color, in your exterior idea book, the second picture is of a house with red brick and green JH siding. Is this what you were thinking of? It has white trim, and looks beautiful. Do you think the white trim would be good on my house or would it emphasize the gable more than optimal? Thank you so much for your advice!

• Valinta
    il y a 2 ans

lose the hose hanging onthe front.
    create a curvy sidewalk starting several feet back from the garage door and leading to the front door.
    a wider stoop in front of front door.
    If foundation plantings aren’t working you will need to dig out the foundation dirt and replace with good topsoil.
    lose the shutters and get an attractive statement sidelight.

• Amy Lynn
    il y a 2 ans

I can't tell what color your roof is, but how do you feel about a medium to darker gray with white trim? What ever color you choose, I would paint the garage door the same as the siding.

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you, Valinta! I’m going to ditch the shutters, and I totally agree that I need to lose the hose hanging on the front. I was just thinking today about that. I don’t even use it anymore except to water the pots on the steps. A new walkway is in my plans as is a wider stoop. Great suggestion about replacing the foundation dirt with good topsoil! I will do that, and add a drip system if I decide not to do a little patio there. Would you suggest I forget the patio idea and try to get some good foundation plants going? Lots of shade, but houssaon suggests I could have success with yews, boxwood or mountain laurel. I live in Metro Denver and agree those plants might do well. I do have a healthy yew on the north side. Thank you so much for your advice!

• houssaon
    il y a 2 ans

Definitely do foundation plantings in rather than a sitting area you hardly use.

Here is one side of my front yard. I have hosta, ferns, a Japanese Maple, Ilex, Mountain Laurel, yew, and creeping euonymus. All in the shade of the 100 year old oak.

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Houssaon, I’m so grateful for your advice. The picture of your home was inspiring, and I could look at your idea books all day long. I will definitely try to put in some plantings rather than a small patio. And I appreciate your advice about prominent white trim setting off the color of the siding. I am leaning now toward smooth Mountain Sage in a wider reveal, with white trim.

May I ask how you would suggest I trim the gable? Do you think I should emphasize it with white trim along the facia?

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you, Amy Lynn! What a nice color combination! Yes, my shingles are gray. And yes, I will paint the garage the same color as the siding.

• RedRyder
    il y a 2 ans

Yes to everything @houssaon said. I love the green with your brick, but get samples from JH and see which is better (green or blue) in sunlight and on a cloudy day. The landscaping vs bench/patio is a definite yes. Evergreen and flowering bushes are better than a bench you won’t use.
    And your gable is fine.

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you, RedRyder! Your advice is much appreciated. I will get some samples this week!

• RedRyder
    il y a 2 ans

Show photos of the samples against the house. I think it’s going to look adorable and updated with these changes!

• PRO
    Arslonga
    il y a 2 ans

This is a visualization of a possible direction to think. Color - soft gray-green. I don't really like it in the picture, нou need to choose the color carefully when it'sfull sun to coordinate it with the roof and brick. The color of the wood is also approximate, as an example. The windows trim dark gray to match the color of the roof. Black colour here is also possible. The shape of the small windows on the entrance door should match the shape of the windows on the garage door.

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you, Marina! I like the green you have painted my house with! I won’t be able to change out my white windows or my doors, but I do need a new garage door in the future which could have windows to match those in the entry door. It doesn’t show much because of the storm door, but I could not live without that. Love the cross-breeze through the screen. So nice of you to comment!

• PRO
    Arslonga
    il y a 2 ans

Just for info, you do not need to change windows and doors if you want different colour. There are paints and technic these days you can use to repaint even vinyl windows trim and doors from the outside, and they will be ok for several years.

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

I didn’t know that. I will have to look into it. Thanks!

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

I wonder how limited I am in choosing a siding color because of my roof. It is Owens corning duration in Driftwood. It looks totally different depending on the time of day and the weather, but the Owens corning website describes it as being comprised of the following colors: gold, taupe, brown and green gray. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

• RedRyder
    il y a 2 ans

Your roof color is extremely neutral and easy to choose colors for. It’s a medium to dark gray - pretty perfect for the colors people are suggesting.

• houssaon
    il y a 2 ans

I didn't see your question about trimming the gable. I think it should be the siding color with white trim.

I think your roof is a good neutral.

Keep us updated when you have completed your project. Good luck.

• oreotimmy
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you so much for all your comments! Yes, I will keep you updated when I have completed my project. It looks like it won’t get started until late September or early October. Everyone is so busy!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».