Houzz Logo Print
anne_msutton

stackable washer/dryer with dog wash station Vs larger Laundry area

il y a 2 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 2 ans

I'm doing a 500 square foot addition to my 950 square foot 3 bedroom ranch + 1 car garage. Due to restrictions, this is the most square footage I can add. With the extra 500, I'll be adding a master suite with 2nd bath and WI closet and expanding the now galley kitchen to allow for an island. I'll also be vaulting the ceilings to make space seem larger and adding a tiny bit of storage to the garage (4 seasons location, so removing garage is not an option. I'll also be adding a mudroom (12x8) and I was thinking about moving the laundry from the basement (wet basement, so cannot be finished) to the back of the mudroom. I can use the entire 8 foot wall in back for laundry + folding area/storage. OR I can can use 4 feet for a stackable washer/dryer with creative surrounding storage AND use the remaining space for a dog washing station. I have a muddy mess of a dog, so I've always wanted a dog washing station, but I'm worried how future prospective buyers will feel about such a small laundry area. If I go with the stackable option, I will make sure to add some hidden dirty laundry storage in the WI closet with folding area. Opinions?! Which option would you prefer?

Stackable washer/dryer with Dog washing station on main floor
Larger laundry area on main floor WITHOUT dog washing station
Leave washer/dryer in basement and just add more storage to mudroom.

Commentaires (6)

• il y a 2 ans

For the stackable, you can choose a front load washer and dryer that can be stacked or unstacked. I would design the space so that the washer/dryer can be unstacked later if desired.

If you have never had stackable, keep in mind the following:

- the stack is harder to move for servicing because it is heavy

- the washer will not have a pedestal, so you have to squat to remove laundry

- the controls for the dryer may be so high that they are almost out of sight

- you will probably need the installers to switch the opening side of the dryer so both washer and dryer open on the same side (you may have to have them open on the left side)

I liked having a stackable, but I had to, because the laundry was in a bathroom and it was the only way I could give the illusion of it being in a closet. I could see the dryer controls well enough, the dryer was easier to unload, and I didn’t mind squatting to load/unload the washer as long as the laundry basket was just under the door. A little rubbermaid 1’ stepstool will allow you to sit down as you unload, and see the dryer controls if you need the extra height.

If a buyer wants to unstack the washer/dryer later, they will probably have to have the dryer door opening changed back.

I bought the maytag 5630 washer and dryer for the house I sold (stackable) and I bought it again for my new house (side by side). Neither configuration was easier to use but I did not do pedestals - a folding table above would be too high with pedestals and there are nice upper cabinets already in my new laundry closet.

I don’t know how you would handle the dog washing station, but if you really want it, you should probably find a way to make it happen. Ideally a new owner can remove the dog washing station and unstack the washer/dryer if they wanted to. However I had no problem selling my house with a nice-looking stackable washer and dryer. (One thing that helped is I wrote a ton of marketing copy selling every design decision I made to the house. The buyer said they read every word. Someone may actually love the dog washing station and it may be a selling point, especially if it can accommodate most sizes of dogs.)

Be sure to think through how the washer and dryer will be serviced. They need to be moved out of a closet so that service personnel can get behind them. I always worried that the heavier stack might scrape the floor, but I think the feet are plastic so that may not be an issue, but think about the floor they will slide on. Or can they be accessed from the rear? Might be a good idea to have a removable back door panel if that is an option.

Anne Kellet a remercié kelli_ga
  • PRO
    il y a 2 ans

I need to see your floor plan

Anne Kellet a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • il y a 2 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 2 ans

I just uploaded my rough floor plan for reference as well as some potential ideas for what I'd do with laundry and wash station. This is not the most updated floor plan- but you get the idea. I can't move the house to the left, right, front or back any more than what's in this. I can't do an addition to the back right either, so this is basically it. One requirement for my reno is that I want the house open up to the yard as much as possible, so the entire living area will be backed by large French doors and extra large windows in front of the kitchen sink - moving the fridge to the opposite wall to allow for an uninterrupted view. There will also be french doors in the master bedroom that open up onto an outdoor space. This means that I'm limited on where the basement stairs go (there is no basement underneath the mudroom/storage/master area). I need the two existing bedrooms on the right and bathroom to stay put to save cost. You'll notice a "storage" area next to the garage that I'm not willing to give up either- the garage is already small as is for an SUV and I need more space for gear, bikes, holiday storage etc... And this way there will be easy plumbing access to laundry area from the back. I will be making the storage space a tiny bit smaller to allow for a built in bar next to the dining area.

• il y a 2 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 2 ans

I am offering comments based on what I see with the drawing with limited information.

Have you had a solid construction estimate done on this work yet? Have you compared that cost to the current value of the house and then the estimated improved value? You'll hear comments like "it's your house, spend and do want you want, build it to your unique living style," etc. That's great until those same people can't sell, don't realize a needed return when life changes, or are upside down because of appraised value.

I see an existing small 3 bedroom/1 bath/1 stall garage house. The Master addition is done well proportionally, it is not ostentatious. However, it is still a 3 bedroom/1 stall house, with the non-Master floor space given to backhouse functions, not to where you spend the most of your time.

A 500sf increase and completely rearranging interior spaces has not increased the sizes of the Kitchen and Living, nor introduced another amenity (for losing out on a Master addition making it a 4 bedroom house). Can the scope of project increase the amenities, while keeping the existing main house:

a. An enlarged Kitchen and Living

b. An additional habitable function (that is not backhouse support) like office area, breakfast, or hearth room

c. A 2 car garage is shown, but could be 1.5 or tandem (shown aligned with assumed front setback) with space given to a) or b)

d. An expanded and refinished laundry room in the basement may be a better compromise to a laundry closet upstairs

e. The expensive cost of structural to move stair, and completely open up center bearing wall (including new basement footings) has not given more opportunity than would leaving them alone.

• il y a 2 ans

Thanks 3onthetree for the detailed and thoughtful reply. Lots happened and I ended up moving to a different area, so the reno never happened. I learned a lot in the process though : )

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».