Houzz Logo Print
webuser_747098341

Before & After: Clever kids' room storage

Inside Interiors
il y a 2 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 2 ans

My client, a young family, purchased and moved into a 1920s home. Many older period homes are much sought after, however, many do not provide adequate or any built-in storage. Their young son’s room had a built-in wardrobe that was used to store his clothes, and over time, the room became a dumping ground for a huge array of toys requiring his parents to pave a path to get in and out of the room.

They had shopped locally for cupboards and drawers for the room but were unable to find anything they liked or were functional. They were looking for a storage solution that would house their son’s toys, meet his growing needs, be functional and aesthetically pleasing.

The family’s first task was to sort the toys to decide what to keep, throw, donate and store as keepsakes in the family’s shed. This allowed me to decide what storage was required, the type of storage that would work best in the space, and what space was available. The room had a rather large window, so there was an opportunity to use this space for dual-purpose functionality such as a bench seat for sitting and reading with 5 drawers underneath. Pull-out drawers were considered in the design for easy use for little fingers and so their son wouldn’t injure himself on handles. Local suppliers were engaged to construct the drawer and bench space and a second local supplier made the bench seat cushions using a neutral Warwick fabric.

Each drawer was allocated a toy theme, one for cars and trucks, one for books, another for lego, one for trains and tracks, and the other for miscellaneous toys. To maximise corner space, a secret hidey-hole was created for the little person’s special belongings, adding an element of fun to the bedroom. A white floating wall shelf was added near the window for the child’s favourite picture books and artwork.

The family says their son loves putting his toys into the allocated drawers and spending time in his room and especially enjoys sitting on the bench seat which has become his favourite place to read. The storage has enabled him to have a sense of pride in looking after his belongings.

Before:

After:

Children's Play Corner · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (14)

• Brooke Roman
    il y a 2 ans

Amazing!! What a beautiful and practical space for children.

Inside Interiors a remercié Brooke Roman
  • Candice Mitchell
    il y a 2 ans

Simple, Smart and Attractive!! Love the work!!!!

Inside Interiors a remercié Candice Mitchell
  • Kyle Hams
    il y a 2 ans

this is so satisfying

Inside Interiors a remercié Kyle Hams
  • PRO
    Jehan Hapuarachchi
    il y a 2 ans

Such a big change! Love it

Inside Interiors a remercié Jehan Hapuarachchi
  • Liz
    il y a 2 ans

Looks gorgeous! While I love white, I would be hesitate to choose a pale colour for upholstery for my child's room! Are the covers removable to launder?
    I'm also interested in how the other parts of the room look (if you have any other pics to share) to see how the bed and other elements worked spatially with the wrap around drawers/seating.

• PRO
    Inside Interiors
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Hi Liz. Thank you for getting in touch and I am glad you like the design. It was a risk putting pale upholstery on the bench seating, but the fabric is scotch guarded and the owners have had little problem with the fabric. The fabric can be laundered, however to remain in shape and to retain its quality, it is best to be dry cleaned, which the owners were happy to do if and when needed. I don't have photos of the remainder of the room available at this time, however the opposite side of the room features built in wardrobes along the wall and a bed. Essentially in the middle of the room is a large rug and some large flat cushions offering plenty of room for the child to play with his toys. I hope this information helps. Thanks and regards, Michelle

• Liz
    il y a 2 ans

Thanks Michelle. I would love to have a similar bench seat with drawers along one wall in one of our bedrooms and the window is the perfect height to achieve it. But the room is only 3x3m and the built in wardrobe and door placement would make it difficult. Do you recall the size of this child's room?

• PRO
    Inside Interiors
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Hi Liz

Where do you live? I could help you with an e-design for built-in drawers similar to the client's design using your specific floor plan are requirements if you live outside Launceston.

Regards

Michelle

• Liz
    il y a 2 ans

Hi Michelle. I'm in Brisbane and very much at the initial planning phase for a multi-staged reno. Need to decide on some other layout changes first, so a far way away from designing built-in drawers for the bedroom I'm thinking for, but thank you for the offer.

• PRO
    Inside Interiors
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Hi Liz

You are welcome, please let me know if you would like some assistance at any stage.

Regards

Michelle

• PRO
    Storewall Australia
    il y a 2 ans

Nice idea, great use of space.

Inside Interiors a remercié Storewall Australia
  • PRO
    Memorable Spaces
    il y a 2 ans

Very neat!

Inside Interiors a remercié Memorable Spaces
  • PRO
    Inside Interiors
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 2 ans

Thank you.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».