Houzz Logo Print
piaa

Tile dilemma ... help please

piaa
l'année dernière

Might anyone have a recommendation for a soft warm white tile (or any color tile) that might compliment this tile floor please.

This is a guest bathroom/powder room that was the only bathroom in our 1925 home. It is a very small space (more of a large powder room by todays standards) but we do need to keep it as a bathroom so will have a shower even though we will never use but it keeps the house a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom (we remodeled and took the home from a 2/1 to a 3/3)

I chose this tile at the beginning of the remodel and probably would not choose it now (but it is now installed so it is staying) but I am having a hard time finding wall tile for the shower. As this bathroom is in a hallway and the small window is the only source of light to the area, the door will probably be open most of the time so something with a bit of "shine/interst" would be great but nothing that competes with the floor. Originally I purchased matte subway tile in 4"x12" and there are a few things wrong.. 1) the tile is too large (what was I thinking - actually it was suggested by the designer) and 2) the white looks really grey next to the floor.

I thought I found a nice match and chose an elongated white marble which I thought looked good with the small samples next to each other but now the floor is in this is also too white/grey so back it goes (having to eat a 25% restock fee .. ouch) and what I have learned is that the floor is more of a soft white/off white so now looking for a tile to compliment and any true white tile is definately the wrong tone and too stark.

I am not opposed to a color tile that is in the floor but I would prefer to keep it light and fresh as we I always think a bathroom should have a light fresh clean feel (please ignore the red waterproofing walls LOL) - I have also attached the sink we have purchased.

Thank you for any suggestions and links to tile you think might work.

New Tile

Original Bathroom

New Sink

Tile we though might have been OK but too grey/white

Space with new sized window (no one can see in now)

Commentaires (213)

• Molly
    l'année dernière

@piaa - This is the book and pattern number of my paper based on the paperwork I have saved. I just put the pattern number in Google and Eades turned up, but Maybe this source would have a sample. https://www.wallpaperwholesaler.com/Shoppingcart/product_detail.asp?pageno=37&pattern=PV2941&book=378200&proddisplay=0&currpage1=

Were you able to pick up your tile? I got mine yesterday, but our project doesn’t start until 4/17.

• Molly
    l'année dernière

Weirdly, your comments just posted (I’ve been checking).

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@Molly - I have a "lag" on your replies also (weird) Yes we picked it up last week and we are a little over half way through tiling and I love it - thank you so much for the recommendation. The pencil edge was the hardest to match but we found one that works when we picked up the tile and I am glad we drove the 2.5 hours to pick it up vs having them ship because the metal schluter the sales lady recommended looked awful. I ordered a sample of the wallpaper from Mahones so I will let you know when that arrives.

I will post a photo once grouted as we all know how the little clips make tile look haha

• Molly
    l'année dernière

Great, can’t wait to see your progress photos! I’m not a Schluter fan either. 🙂

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

SHE DONE and we love it. Thank you everyone SO MUCH for all of your help and @Molly for sharing your tile with us.

I will post a photo when we have the fixtures installed but couldn't resist posting a few now as we just finished grout yesterday but stand by as we are not done yet as there will be paint color help requested and I already have another question .. wait for it, wait for it (and what a surprise haha)..

Sooo, the fixtures are polished nickel - the same as the sink and the base of the sink - but my question now is should the floor drain and clips for the shower panel also be polished nickel or would you go with a brass tone? A brass tone will definately complement the colors in the floor better (and we have a brass clips on the light fixture and a brass edge mirror) but is it weird to have polished nickel fixtures and a brass/burnished gold tone drain and clips ? (I can always change out the drain but once those clips go in they are in )

Thanks everyone ..

• RedRyder
    l'année dernière

It looks great so far! Thanks for sharing the update.

I tend to like the hardware to match in a small space like a bathroom, but I'm sure others who have been helping will chime in.

• Molly
    l'année dernière

Looks great piaa! I think I am going with the tiles offset. I’d also love to see your trim piece. 🙂

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@Molly - we purchased the liner from The Tile Shop as well and they are Item # 494428 Bright White Pencil Liner and they are $15.79 each (yikes)

I will say look at them because even though these match pretty much spot on, I had them bring out about 10 packets (you can buy them in packets of 8 or individually) and some packets were truly "bright white" and were a terribel match and others were a softer creamy white which is what we needed (and blended great) so we picked through and found the best packets.

• Molly
    l'année dernière

Thanks piia! I got the same liners and just took a look. The ones I got all seem to be the creamy white that I’d needed so hopefully that is one less thing to worry about.

• marylut
    l'année dernière

When mixing metals 1. you need to know how many metals is visually too many for your personal liking - but generally 3 metals is maximum. 2. you group similar items into 3 categories of bathroom basics, bathroom accessories, and decor. 3. what you put into each category comes down to your personal style. 4. use same metal for the entire category. Example: Sink/shower/toilet are basics, and sink legs are chrome, so to be consistent I would personally do shower glass clips and toilet flush handle in chrome. Because shower and sink plumbing is chrome, to be consistent do shower drain (which is also plumbing) in chrome. You can put the brass mirror in the basics category, or decor category, or group it with accessories (TP holder, soap pump, towel towel bar/ring/hook). You can put lighting in decor category, or by itself, or in accessories category. Decor would be general extras such as wall picture frame, plant holder, rug. Since shower is seldom used and people won’t be barefoot I would tend to forego a rug to show off the floor.

piaa a remercié marylut
  • kl23
    l'année dernière

What is that beautiful wood in the background!?

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

Hi @kl23 it is hand scraped hickory - thank you for the compliment

• kl23
    l'année dernière

Thank you @piaa I am wanting to put wood flooring throughout my upper floor and am hoping for something really beautiful, not just another wood floor.

• kl23
    l'année dernière

@piaa

I was checking it out, and hickory is quite the investment. Did you choose it? If so, what was your impetus over less expensive woods. I read an article comparing hickory, oaks, and maple. Not asking you to justify, just trying to learn. Also, if you had it installed, what stain is that and what gloss level of varnish? Sorry to grill you. It's just really pretty.

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

No worries at all @K L

Our home was built in 1925 and we had to replace all floors and wanted a wood flooring that looked historic. My hubby fell in love with the hickory at the showroom we went to ... he also fell in love with the hand scraped look but he doesn't like factory machine scraped so hand scrapping it was! He also loved the "plugs" (I don't think that is the correct term but I think you know what I mean - I have attached a few photos of the process) and the varying widths of the planks that we ultimately chose (what can I say hexcept he knows what he likes and it is usually not cheap LOL)

It was definately $$$$ but it was his decision and no talking him out of it and I must say I do love it but personally I probably would have found something more cost effective. We used Poloplaz Oil based Satin as a finish and went with a dark mahogany stain.

• kl23
    l'année dernière

Geez it's even beautiful raw! Thank you so much for that detail. Otherwise I might have thought mahogany stain would maybe be too dark. But it's perfect! Thanks!

• marylut
    l'année dernière

I love love love that you appreciate real wood floors and hand scraped finish!

piaa a remercié marylut
  • Molly
    l'année dernière

Hi piaa. What did you end up doing in your shower?

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

Hi @Molly - sorry you missed the earlier photos (I know I posted a lot LOL) but here she is (still waiting on paint and the shower glass) but tiling is complete..

• plf12652
    l'année dernière

That was the right choice…..beautiful!

piaa a remercié plf12652
  • RedRyder
    l'année dernière

It looks great! The floor is still stunning…..

piaa a remercié RedRyder
  • piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

Thank you @RedRyder

• la_la Girl
    l'année dernière

wow looks fabulous! Worth all the hard work for sure! :)

piaa a remercié la_la Girl
  • Molly
    l'année dernière

Love it! I’m anxious to get started, but still about 3 weeks out from demo!

piaa a remercié Molly
  • piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

Glass has been installed.... yay

As this is not a bathroom we intend to use and is seen from the living room etc, we wanted to keep it minimalistic (thus no door or hardware) and pretty invisible and we love it.

Next up wallpaper ... any suggestions ??? I like monochromatic but could do something in the same tones but bold (if that makes sense)

• kl23
    l'année dernière

@piaa great to have the glass up. So you want to have wallpaper the color of the shower walls? That's neutral. It's nice not to break up the walls. I wonder though if you would be interested in jazzing up your fifth wall...the ceiling. Maybe as jazzy as your floor?

piaa a remercié kl23
  • piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@K L - I'm open but hubby not so much LOL. Paint seems a little "boring" for the walls so I was thinking a paper in the same tones but something interesting but man there are a lot of papers out there LOL

• Molly
    l'année dernière

Piaa did you get the sample from Mahomes?

• kl23
    l'année dernière

Maybe something like this then? I've been thinking about this kind of wallpaper for my interior hallways.

• kl23
    l'année dernière

What about your ceiling fixture? Vanity lights?

• Molly
    l'année dernière

I meant mahones foe the wallpaper, not the quarterback. 🤣

• RedRyder
    l'année dernière

I’m not a pro, but have you thought about a wallpaper with a “touch” of gold?

I do love the “shadow” wallpapers that @K L suggested.

The choice of that glass is perfect. I did the same thing in my guest bathroom in a previous house. It doesn’t interfere with your incredible tile design.

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@K L - lights are in

(Hand carved alabaster)

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

@Molly - no it never arrived. I am now thinking a large(ish) print in a neutral .. maybe a palm leaf ? (it is Florida afterall) or something fun but not in your face .. is that even possible haha

• kl23
    l'année dernière

@piaa I love the lights you chose. Thanks for showing. Have you found a wallpaper you like or close?

• Molly
    l'année dernière

@piaa what about a vinyl grass cloth? Here is a Thibaut sample I had that has some lightness in the mix. I’m not suggesting this particular one, just sharing so you can see how the two work together. Sorry for the bad lighting.

piaa a remercié Molly
  • RedRyder
    l'année dernière

@K L - yes, exactly that idea.

• RedRyder
    l'année dernière

These might work too.

• RedRyder
    l'année dernière

Or these

• M V
    l'année dernière

Maybe this is just too much like the floor but I think this pattern is gorgeous (it is peel and stick wallpaper from Candice Olson (an HGTV designer)

It comes in two colours. I'd be tempted to do the darker one and use that colour towels etc.

Here are some others from the same designer that might be nice as well.

piaa a remercié M V
  • Molly
    il y a 10 mois

Hi piaa! Did you ever decide on a wallpaper? I’m to that point in my project now.

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 mois

Hi @Molly - I was just thinking about you and wondering how your project is coming along - photos please :)

I haven't wallpapered yet (or even a paint color for the walls) as I stopped looking for a while and we moved onto building a gym inside the garage so that has kept us busy - let me know what you find if you find any as I think we have the same style :)

• RoomDesigner AI
    il y a 10 mois
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 mois

Looking great. Here's an idea, paint the window trim?

Generate interior design AI renders at RoomDesignerAI.com

piaa a remercié RoomDesigner AI
  • piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 mois

And thank you everyone for the wallpaper suggestions - I don't know why I never received a notification of new suggestions so I'm only just seeing them

• Molly
    il y a 10 mois

piaa - Notifications on here are practically worthless. I follow people so I can at least search for postings I want to follow! My pictures are not loading to my idea book, but here is a link to my thread if you want to see the few I've posted. As you know it's hard to get a picture of the tile!! I'll try and get one later this evening. I'm happy with the way it turned out. :)

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5720231/time-to-lighten-brighten#28582229piaa

• Molly
    il y a 10 mois

Option 1:

• Molly
    il y a 10 mois

Option 4:

• Molly
    il y a 10 mois

@piaa here are some finished pictures.

• piaa
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 mois

@Molly - looks great good job

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».