Houzz Logo Print
catherine_wright21

Kitchen/diner layout dilemma

Catherine Wright
l'année dernière

We are gradually renovating a 1600s stone farmhouse (5 bed) and removing the 1980s pub style decor that came with it. The house was extensively renovated in the 80s so walls are breeze block, loads of rsjs etc. No structural constraints but the walls are thick and the windows small with stone mullions, so daylight is limited.

We will remove the wall between the kitchen diner both to increase light in these dark rooms and to make it a more usable space. We’ll keep the original beam but remove the fake beams and the artex! The room when opened up could be an open plan or broken plan layout. We have a separate lounge and another reception room, so this room just needs to be a kitchen diner. It’s roughly 4x10m in total. We think we will need to add a pier or steel to manage lateral load but the wall we are removing (although made of breeze block) isn’t load bearing.

After extensive thought and research, we can’t work out the best kitchen layout as a starting point, as there are so many options. The aesthetic will be relaxed rustic and simple, something that feels like it’s been there a while. We have salvaged parquet we want to use so the flooring will be on the dark side.

Wish list
-Large cooks kitchen to fit with a large-ish property, space for parents and teenagers to be in the kitchen together without constantly getting in each other’s way (if possible!)
-Island or maybe peninsula for 5 or 6 to gather round

• separate 8 seater dining table
  • sofa or 2 armchairs
  • Maximise light

I’d appreciate any ideas on kitchen layout as I’m completely stuck!
Thank you

Commentaires (6)

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».