Houzz Logo Print
kkid4444

Would love opinions on choice of 1' or 2' hex for shower floor

k s
l'année dernière
Dernière modification : l'année dernière

Can't decide on either the 1" or 2'" porcelin hex for shower floor. The wall tiles will be 5x5. The grout color will be bleached wood. Some say using the 1" uses more grout which is harder to keep clean and others say more grout means less chance of slipping. My desginer suggested it's more interesting to have contrast of size w/ materials so suggested the 1" but I am wondering if it will be more difficult to keep clean w/ so much more grout. Any opinions on which you think looks better and if 1" tiles and grout are hard to keep clean?

(PS in case you suggest to use a different color as this may look boring I can't becasue the tiles in my bathroom floor which I am not redoing are too busy to introduce another color).

Commentaires (18)

• kudzu9
    l'année dernière

I suggest you use the largest tiles with the fewest grout lines to maintain as possible.

k s a remercié kudzu9
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    l'année dernière

Post the bath as now in a picture that includes the flooring that must remain.

Know this: A well ventilated bath cleaned weekly makes grout grunge a non issue.

Two inch hex, one inch, makes no difference.

Show what you have in a comment box. The whole thing, and your plan for materials beyond what tile size to use.

k s a remercié JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    l'année dernière

IMO 5x5 is too small for wall tile and also quite a dated look I personally do not like hex tiles but if you must then the larger one . So many grout lines too bad.

k s a remercié Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • beeboo22
    l'année dernière

Squares and hexagons are classic and could be completely appropriate for this home depending on its age. Listen to Diana.

k s a remercié beeboo22
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    l'année dernière

5" is the "new" four inch. No not "dated". I'll stop there.....................

k s a remercié JAN MOYER
  • palimpsest
    l'année dernière
    Dernière modification :l'année dernière

I would do the two inch hex. Small enough for grip, but not nearly as many groutlines as 1".

I don't think medium square tile is dated for the walls either, 5" is fine, it's a classic look. And there is a big enough difference between the 5" square and 2" for scale.

For whatever reason, in the slightly pillowed form, where I live 2" was more common than 1". If you were doing a completely flat rectified hex, 1" was the more common one. This probably varies by location.

k s a remercié palimpsest
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    l'année dernière

My prediction is that hex tile will become dated rather quickly since everyone seems to be using it.

• palimpsest
    l'année dernière

Are those really 5" tiles or are they 4-1/4" 4-1/2"?

I have two showers in the old format you have and it's 2x2" porcelain.

k s a remercié palimpsest
  • thinkdesignlive
    l'année dernière

Be careful w the 2” hex. We used it once in a shower and even though it was matte it was surprisingly slippery when wet. The grout with the smaller scale actually helps make it more nonslip. Good advice for all to see what you are doing for other finishes in the main room.

k s a remercié thinkdesignlive
  • PRO
    LiLu Interiors
    il y a 10 mois

What type of tile do you have outside of the shower? It might be best to just make sure they work together.

Pool Polish · Plus d'infos

City Charm: Bathroom · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    il y a 10 mois

LiLu Interiors I'm betting that this OP decided on tile 4 months ago. Your late-to-the-party posts might be considered SPAM by other Pros.

If you want to put in your 2 cents, then comment on posts that are currently being debated.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    il y a 10 mois

I don't see anything resembling spam in Lilu Interiors' post. Sometimes the dates are just not noticed.

• Olychick
    il y a 10 mois

Sometimes pros revive old posts just to post pics of their work with no real advice to the OP or it's been so long that the OP decision is likely made long ago. So it reads as self promoting spam.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 10 mois

Perhaps she didn't NOTICE the the original post date.

• tozmo1
    il y a 10 mois

Agree with @JAN MOYER. Houzz posts "more discussions' to the right of all discussions. Clicking and commenting on one of those without checking the date is an easy error.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    il y a 10 mois

Oh, those evil Pros, always going on the DDs to get business.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    il y a 10 mois

lol.........really.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».