Houzz Logo Print
amali_valan

Underfloor heating dilemma

A V
il y a 18 jours

We are renovating our kitchen dining area, so new floor, kitchen etc. Wondering whether we should do UFH while we are at it.

Is underfloor heating worth it?

Kitchen has got suspended floor while dining has concrete floor.

One company wants to fill up void under suspended floor with rubble, then insultation and screed and then ufh boards. He also wants to shave off about 150-200mm off the adjacent concrete floor in dining area and then insulate etc to bring it to level with kitchen. This seems to be a huge overhaul and expensive

Other couple of companies just want to remove existing floor, lay some low profile 20mm mats with grooves for pipes in both kitchen and dining area, ready for engineered wood. No screed or anything. They say the grooved mat itself doubles up as the insulation also. This seems too simple and makes me wonder if it will be efficient.

What was the process for your UFH and how is it working so far? Please Share. Thank you.

Commentaires (5)

• PRO
    Woodfloors4u
    il y a 18 jours

Making UFH choices can certainly be difficult as there a number of different products on the market, as you've found with differing views on install methods.

I would go with a tried and tested method that the company or persons you choose have fitted on a number of occasions, backed up with evidence so you are confident the system will work for your property. Also consider a monitor for the UFH like a Fid Box and think about the overall build-up height with your chosen flooring prior to works to ensure no issues with door openings etc.

For flooring above the UFH system I would consider engineered wood, *note solid wood cannot be used for floors with UFH systems*.

At Woodfloors4u we stock a huge range of engineered wood and vinyl flooring products that are all compatible with UFH, we also stock compatible adhesives for UFH.

When you are ready to discuss flooring options please feel free to get in touch with the sales team on 020 8500 1940 or visit our website www.woodfloors4u.co.uk.

Example images of Wood & Vinyl SPC floors fitted in customer's kitchens.

https://www.woodfloors4u.co.uk/product/parquet-dark-active-grey-oak-brushed-oiled-flooring-150-x-4-18-x-600mm/

https://www.woodfloors4u.co.uk/product/rigid-core-spc-light-active-grey-herringbone/

https://www.woodfloors4u.co.uk/product/ditorian-vintage-oak-distressed-hard-wax-oiled-wood-flooring-190-x-3-14-x-1900mm/

https://www.woodfloors4u.co.uk/product/versailles-panels-windsor-aged-oak-brushed-oiled-600-x-4-18-x-600mm/

A V a remercié Woodfloors4u
  • Sonia
    il y a 18 jours

I’m no expert but it seems too much of a faff to do all that just for UFH. I’m not sure about filling the void either, I thought the void was there to increase ventilation? Seems an awful lot of work.

A V a remercié Sonia
  • rinked
    il y a 18 jours
    Dernière modification :il y a 18 jours

UFH aside, if either floor isn't insulated at the moment, i would consider shaving some concrete off (dining) and replace the wood with steel/reinforced boards (kitchen*), to enable insulating both and thereby make them level. You can calculate the investment return with a heating bill reduction of roughly 15%.

(* whether or not the void needs to be filled depends on its height. For example; before our extension we dug away the old concrete slab shed foundation and placed 25cm hard polystyrene within the new foundation rim, before pouring new concrete floors. Our living room still has a 30cm crawl space, which also ventilates the wall cavities towards the attic.)

You could then decide if UFH is worth the extra, but more like a luxury, as a couple radiators can warm up the rooms just fine.

A V a remercié rinked
  • Isla Cherry
    il y a 18 jours
    Dernière modification :il y a 18 jours

I agree with Rinked, I would stick to radiators as it sounds like a horrendous amount of upheaval for a heating solution which might or might not be sufficient. In a new house UFH is a really efficient solution and it is designed to be so but to retrofit it especially with the suspended floor sounds like a gamble to me. If the insulation in the rest of the property is not brilliant then it might prove to be inadequate. We did UFH in a listed barn once and it was woefully ineffectual with insulation boards underneath the slab. It created a freezing expensive space..

A V a remercié Isla Cherry
  • madeleine_brown8
    il y a 18 jours

We did it on our 1911 end of terrace suspended floor with a small concrete slab kitchen.

Like you we ummed and ahed and in the end went for it. It is wonderful having a gentle heat underfoot. Our house was freezing before (particularly the kitchen) and now we have tiles throughout and the heat is lovely. Also no radiators taking up wall space.

It is very disruptive so probably only worth it if you are say extending or doing ground works but if you are then yes, fill the void, insulate, have pipes in screed and enjoy one floor level throughout.

Avoid retrofit systems onto suspended trays (engineer here).

www.instagram.com/1911_renovation

A V a remercié madeleine_brown8
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».