Houzz Logo Print
connie_francis

rain chains

Connie
il y a 10 ans
what exactly is a rain chain? I live in Australia, and this idea is not anything common here. Is it decorative, or functional? I am interested to know. thanks
5609 Residence · Plus d'infos

Commentaires (5)

• PRO
    Jesse Im/bugonmyleaf
    il y a 10 ans
    The rain chains are alternatives to a downspout. They are widely used in Japan. Their purpose is largely decorative, to make a water feature out of the transport of rainwater from the guttering downwards to a drain or to a storage container. The visual expression of water falling from each cup to cup and the sound it creates can be soothing and meditative. For these reasons, many temples in Japan use the rain chains for downspouts.
    Connie a remercié Jesse Im/bugonmyleaf
  • PRO
    Kay Power Realtor Keller Williams Golden Isles
    il y a 10 ans
    I have this same paneled door on my home, but only a single door. My home is a 1 1/2 story contemporary tabby (crushed oyster/scallop shell) and cedar. We just painted the cedar a dolphin grey, but I cannot decide on a color for the door. Each side of the door has glass side lights and a large transom above. I did choose a Mango (more pink than orange) and put one coat on the door. Now I'm freakin' that it's too bright for the style of home... or does the style really come into play when choosing a color???
  • PRO
    Jesse Im/bugonmyleaf
    il y a 10 ans
    Ronnie, I do think the style of the house and the location matters when you pick the exterior colors but personally, I prefer neutral colors for the house and a bright color for the door. It's inviting and visually brings a focus to the house. It also depends on the home owner's personality and lifestyle. I would keep the color for awhile. If it still bothers you after a week, I would pick something more neutral.
  • aleblancnc
    il y a 10 ans
    Hi Jesse, my husband and I just bought a contemporary ranch and the colors look very similar to this photo. Our cedar siding is a dark gray and the door is cranberry. There is even a rain chain similar to this one hanging to the left of the door! I think the cranberry color is too dark for the house and I really want the door to "pop". So, we have picked out a poppy red color: Fairmont Suite Clay Red by Valspar at Lowe's. Do you think this color would look nice?
  • PRO
    Jesse Im/bugonmyleaf
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    I would go for something more exciting and closer to primary colors. Also, depends on which direction the door is facing Clay Red color could look faded from the sun. Try to get some swatches of color and tape them on the gray siding. Don't put the sample colors too close to each other. You want to see each one only with the gray siding, not comparing with each other.
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».