Houzz Logo Print
sarah_strang6231639

Help with blank slate entryway!!

Sarah Strang
il y a 9 ans
Hey Houzz family! Happy New Year! ...need your help! I have a housewarming party scheduled for 1/17/15. I'm going to be as ready as I can with the house warming/birthday bash! Here is my entry way! Without painting or changing out lighting (it's a new build and I'd rather not do all that just yet)... What suggestions do you have for entry way pieces?? Rugs, furniture, decorative items?? I'll attach several pics and also pics of the living room so many of you helped me fix up! I'd love something like a bench and or coat rack. Happy and excited to hear your ideas!!

Commentaires (9)

• Sarah Strang
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    With door open facing into the home. Also attached are pictures of my living room and table that is in the dining room.
  • Sarah Strang
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    The 1st entryway picture walls on the right separating the hallway to 2 bedrooms near the front door measure 5'8" first wall on left/6'6" ignoring light switch (light switch is 4' from ground)
    4'7" 2nd wall on left
    Height is 10' 6" ceiling to floor
  • n247080
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans
    I think you should live in the home awhile before buying furniture for that area. Get a feel for what you would use that area for and spend some time enjoying the process of shopping for items that stand a test of time. Seems like rushing to accommodate a one time house warming party will only result in you buying things you really won't end up wanting and having to replace. I'd devote my time on unpacking and setting up what you already have along with preparing seating and food for the housewarming.

Beautiful home! Congratulations on the new house!
  • horselover222
    il y a 9 ans
    Some artwork/pictures on the empty walls!
  • Sarah Strang
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks for the advice on taking things slow and nice compliments about the home. I've been in the home since August and I'm ready to use my Christmas money to get the entryway fixed up. It doesn't have to be all ready for the house warming party but I need help with ideas. It's being catered so the food prep will be easy and my good friend is a pastry chef so she's making a great birthday cake!! Also my backyard is all ready for some corn hole fun and I'll be adding tiki torches as well as a propane heater! I'm in Houston, Texas so the outdoors can be used year long! Just excited for friends who have been asking to see the house at my home for a fun party!! Also a great way to meet new neighbors! I love hosting parties!!
  • Sarah Strang
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    I do want some mirrors!! What do you guys think of something like these for the space?? Hoping to spend under $400 for a piece that would go there and then add art work? Anyone hate the buffet table in the pics? Or should that be moved somewhere better??
  • Sarah Strang
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans
    Would a bench like I have added in the pics above be too much?
  • PRO
    John Hannah Architectural Design & Rendering
    il y a 9 ans
    a good way to ease some flavor into blank rooms without making a huge commitment is experimenting with color. unless you're committed to a very restrained palette, or the furniture you have to work with restricts you somehow, an interesting paint color or set of colors can bring a space into focus and enhance its relationship to adjacent spaces and spatial sequences. by using color to understand spaces better, you will have more to go on when you're ready to furnish them - or a dialogue might arise between some element or piece of furniture you like and the color itself. the important thing is that it gets you going, and if you decide you don't like the color as much as you thought you did, you can paint over it.

paint manufacturers' color palettes tend to be dizzying, so i suggest working with a restricted, already refined palette like the colors of farrow & ball. these are high-end british paints and expensive, but bear in mind that any paint brand can match any color exactly from a sample, so you don't need to put yourself in the poorhouse to use this palette. the farrow & ball colors are well-illustrated on their website, with good color combinations suggested and plenty of in-situ photographs to help. operating with restraint and patience, and speaking to the people at farrow & ball about their colors if you need expert guidance, you should be able to tease some genuine character out of what only seem like blank spaces. furniture is only part of the story. color and light are powerful tools, as well.

good luck and happy new year!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».