Houzz Logo Print
lacylange

Exterior wooden beam alternatives?

lacylange
il y a 11 ans
The house plan we are building has the decorative wooden beams on the front and back porch (as well as those decorative trusses on the exterior inside the peaks). I wondered if there was an alternative to wood so we wouldn't have the upkeep of wood, but a similar look. If there's no option other than wood, which type is the best for upkeep purposes?

Commentaires (3)

• PRO
    Designs for All Seasons
    il y a 11 ans
    I love the natural look of Oak as it ages and it doesn't have have loads of maintenance. If Oak is left untreated it ages to a lovely silver color and will still last for 20 years plus.

If you do want to keep a brown look to the wood you will need to keep up the maintenance as it looks awful when the varnish starts peeling off. You could oil the wood but this also has to be reapplied regularly to keep it looking brown.

Is that a silver birch tree in front of the house?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    il y a 11 ans
    Another option is using cedar.

covered porch · Plus d'infos
  • nevadan
    il y a 11 ans
    Your architect needs to advise you.
  • auroracanby
    il y a 11 ans
    There actually is a fake-beam company called AZ Faux Beams. I'm giving them a try for some beams in a fake-Greek whitewash room, but they do also have exterior products.
  • lacylange
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    Thank you everyone for your advice!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».