Houzz Logo Print
suz04079

Family room

suz04079
il y a 9 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 9 ans

It's time to make a decision after five years of indecisiveness. What color should I paint the built-in? The room will be ivory with a whiter trim. I ordered doors for the shelving (shaker, unfinished maple). Wood mantel is old barnboard. Can't find large enough board for a counter. Granite's too expensive. Main worry is that if I paint it the trim color, will it look terrible with such a dark countertop.

Commentaires (27)

• TanCalGal
    il y a 9 ans

I'd paint the built-in black for the reasons you state. You want to keep the barn-board mantel and any other color for the built-in would seem odd with the black counter on the built-in. A matte black to repeat the fireplace surround. Maybe burnished brass hardware to repeat the fireplace shovel etc.

I'd copy at least some of the ideas in the photo below for a more colorful eye catching mantel display.

Traditional Family Room · Plus d'infos

suz04079 a remercié TanCalGal
  • Miranda Rose
    il y a 9 ans
    I would paint it a minty, froest-ey, rustic sage green. It would keep it old fashioned but also add some color.
  • Discussions associées

Echoes driving us crazy!

Q

Commentaires (2)
    Thanks, indeed. A rug would be an option, but our 2 small kids eat like pigs... This option is for later :0) Does anybody have an idea that fits our minimalistic style? We are not fan of "busy" spaces. Is there any technical solution? Sth we could stick under the table or a trick, magical plants perhaps?
    ... Voir plus

Besoin de conseils pour choisir les rideaux pour un salon scandinave

Q

Commentaires (84)
    bonjour, ils sont très bien les rideaux que vous avez trouvé, le bleu est bien clair et dans les tons pastels que nous utilisions beaucoup en Scandinavie. Le bleu assortie pour le coussin est parfait. Si vous souhaitez vous rapprocher du style Scandinave il faut choisir entre rideaux et voilage comme on ne mets jamais le deux, beaucoup trop lourd pour nous intérieurs ou on essaye toujours garder une luminosité maximale. En Tunisie vous avez le problème contraire donc il faudra s'adapter et trouver une équilibre entre le style Scandinave et vous besoins. Si vous souhaitez avoir une voilage je conseillerai vivement un blanc uni, sans rayure! votre tableau bleu et jaune sera très bien avec l'ensemble, il est très beau!
    ... Voir plus

Rénovation d'un appartement Haussmannien dans un style japonais

Q

Commentaires (42)
    Tous les sièges font 35cm de haut? et c'est confortable? peut-être adapté a la taille des occupants? J'aimerais bien voir les photos de la vraie réalisation,et sans filtre si possible. Les 3d même bien faites ne sont que du virtuel, pas la réalité. et ces tableaux ronds,ce sont des accessoires de logiciel 3 D ou ça existe vraiment? mention spéciale quand même pour les ouvertures arrondies!
    ... Voir plus

Avant/après - Rénovation d'un appartement à Lille

Q

Commentaires (15)
    Peut-être que c'est une belle réalisation en terme d'espaces qui ont été revus et corrigés mais je me sens mal dans ce salon : les teintes sont tristes , cela assombrit cette pièce qui dites-vous est au nord....Cela ne me semble pas très logique ENTRE COULEUR et SITUATION GEOGRAPHIQUE!!!
    ... Voir plus
  • PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    il y a 9 ans

Yes, high contrast of black counter adjacent to light backgrounds will attract your eye right to where you DO NOT want it to go....BLACK COUNTER! You must resolve the counter material before you do anything. Love, love the fireplace....it is a great focal point. Everything should compliment and work with it. I'm not so sure built-in is really worth spending money on it????? I'd almost rather see you invest in a good piece of furniture and remove entire built-in down to plain painted wall just so great fireplace can "breath" and be a focal point even more. There are some great "reclaimed wood or salvaged wood" media consoles that would compliment the look of the fireplace stone really, really well. See "salvaged wood" furniture by Padma's Plantation and many, many others

suz04079 a remercié Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
  • C G
    il y a 9 ans

I agree, the fireplace is gorgeous!! I'd also pull out the corner cabinet and consider the furniture idea. The wall color in white or ivory will look fresh and nice contrast to the grey stone. Perhaps there is another wall you can use for display, functional storage or put a television? Add some color With accessories and possibly a big plant. The displayed items are also cool... just need a different layout to really "sing" in your room. Good luck!!

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 9 ans

There's nothing attractive about the upper portion and shelves, and the doors look like they're made out of wall paneling. You could salvage the lower portion if you need it for TV. Just use the frame and add new doors and a top made of reclaimed wood.

suz04079 a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • Miranda Rose
    il y a 9 ans
    If the built in makes you happy, keep it! It really is that simple. Please don't worry about technical design issues. If you don't like it,fine. But please don't rip it out if you smile when you look at it!
    suz04079 a remercié Miranda Rose
  • suz04079
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans

Thanks so much for all of your ideas. I like the photo of the black cabinets but I'm afraid it will be too dark and "heavy". Actually, I just thought of an option. If I remove the ugly shelves it will lighten things up. I could paint the bottom of the cabinet black and it could still hold the TV. Then, maybe add two floating shelves above with a more cohesive and colorful display. What do you think? I spent yesterday afternoon looking at cabinetry with reclaimed wood. My husband was not a fan of them. He still gives me grief about a reclaimed/industrial coffee table that I bought.

• User
    il y a 9 ans
    Are you keeping the hardware for the cabinets? I'd paint the cabinet red, with a black glaze to soften the color. The hinges and fireplace have that rustic vibe that a glazed red would compliment. It would also go with the countertop. Reclaimed wood shelves with iron corbels. I'd made a couple of sample boards to get the look right.
    suz04079 a remercié User
  • User
    il y a 9 ans
    My husband is the same! Hates what he calls junk. But he is coming around, slowly but surely!
    suz04079 a remercié User
  • suz04079
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans

I don't care for the hardware. It reminds me of the seventies. I had thought of red previously and the guys vetoes that idea. Friends cannot believe that I let them veto anything to do with interior design. The three of them enjoy ridiculing it when they're home. They refer to anything used or reclaimed as junk. Such twerps.

• TanCalGal
    il y a 9 ans

I like the idea of getting rid of the upper shelves. I also like the cabinet hardware.

The black fireplace surround helps to tie in the black counter top.

photo 1 & 2: I think you can paint the lower shelves white or black or gray or ivory. The black counter top is not limiting paint color choices. Print out photos 1 & 2 and color the cabinet counter top black. The black counter top will look pretty good with white or gray or black or ivory lower cabinets & your fireplace too (especially with the black surround).

photo 3: to tie the black counter top in with the fireplace & mantel even more you might have an art with a black frame above or resting on the mantel.

warmington north · Plus d'infos
    Sudbury · Plus d'infos
    Nancy · Plus d'infos

suz04079 a remercié TanCalGal
  • suz04079
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 9 ans

I sadly realized that I cannot remove the built in cabinet. The stone was installed around the cabinet. If we remove the cabinet there will be large gaps where there should be stone. Back to square one unless anyone has any ideas on how to overcome this problem.

• er612
    il y a 9 ans

I would paint the cabinet black and continue the ivory wall color above the cabinet.

• akira17
    il y a 9 ans
    Black
  • sheilamae57
    il y a 9 ans
    Perhaps painting the built in a color close to the color of the fireplace stone?
  • PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    il y a 9 ans
    I would paint the built ins the trim color. Having a dark top will look just fine. The dark hardware will pop and tie in with the top as well.
  • sbsantare
    il y a 9 ans
    Do you think it will be too dark or too much grey if the cabinet and new doors are painted grey or black? The fireplace is heavy looking and grey and the sofas are grey. Can't ditch the sofas as they are impervious to our dogs.
  • sheilamae57
    il y a 9 ans
    Maybe split the difference and paint the base grey and the shelves the trim color? The nice thing about it is, its paint. If you don't like it, you can repaint it. Either way, I think the black counter would look fine.
  • sheilamae57
    il y a 9 ans
    We have the same set up with our fireplace. Bookcase on each side. It is the same wood as the trim in our home. I need to put a color on the wall behind the shelves myself. Just haven't decided what yet. It is currently wooden wainscot and I will need to paint another board or something to fit into the space. Just haven't done it yet because I'm not sure what color to put there. I guess what I'm trying to say is I understand how hard it is sometimes to make a decision for our own spaces.
  • Rachel Benson
    il y a 9 ans

I'd paint the cabinets white. I ended up painting my similar built-ins white to blend with our white walls.

• sbsantare
    il y a 9 ans
    All of your ideas sound good. Guess I'll purchase those sheets of plastic that you can paint and then hang up to preview how the paint color will look. I would still love to find a piece of wood (2'x5'x1 1/2") that could replace the black formica. That would make things a lot easier!
  • sbsantare
    il y a 9 ans
    Latest idea- How about if I purchase an Ikea wood countertop (it's the right depth) and cut it to fit countertop? Also- Home Depot sells cabinet grade maple that would work if I placed two pieces of wood on top of each other (to get the 1.5" needed) and added a trim. As I write this I'm chuckling because I'm probably delusional to think we could figure out how to install a countertop.
  • sbsantare
    il y a 9 ans
    Thanks to all for taking the time to share your opinions and photos. I am going to paint the cabinetry a pale grey. We'll take down the panel doors and install the custom shaker style doors.

It's taken me over four years to make that decision. Meanwhile we've been living with samples of different paint colors on the wall, missing door on the cabinet, unpainted trim on four year old ten foot window, no window treatment on that window yet there's an old Waverly print curtain on the back window, a black and white checked Ikea area rug, a navy with camel dotted wing recliner, a woven wing chair, a low Ikea chair and ottoman (red cushion) and to top it off, an unpainted 6' maple cabinet (purchased at least 10 years ago).

Now you can understand my amazement when people like you can suggest so many different design solutions. Oh, I forgot to mention, the powder room was completely redone five years ago and I still haven't decided on a mirror.

I should just post photos of each room and people with good taste like yours, can make my decisions! I am truly pathetic:)
  • Elizabeth Jackson
    il y a 9 ans

I would paint the entire built in units on ea side of stone fireplace, including the countertop, the same color as the ivory walls that you are planning. Then use the units to display tastefully ( less is more) and store. The displayed items will stand out, not the shelving and cabinet doors. The hinges and other hardware should disapear by being minimal and similar ivory color.

Also remove the mantel on the fireplace. There is enough display and horizontal lines going on with the built in units. Too busy with the mantel too.

• kathleen MK
    il y a 9 ans
    I would paint the unit to match the ivory wall or a shade of grey from the stone work. The grey trend will work because of the stone. For the counter a piece of plywood and a trim piece attached with liquid nails could be painted to match.
  • sbsantare
    il y a 9 ans
    Kathleen, clever idea with the plywood. Had a friend who's a carpenter look at it, although it could be done, a bit tricky with deal with removing the mortar and then remortaring. I'd try it but we may be moving soon so it might not be worth it. Of course, this comment could be just another reason for me to procrastinate...
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».