Houzz Logo Print
smschleig

Help! Kitchen w/ Pickled Oak Cabs and Black Counters

Stephanie S
il y a 8 ans

Hi everyone,

I am settling on my new home in a few weeks and LOVE the house except for the kitchen.. Overall it is in great condition but it is outdated. I am not loving the pickled oak cabinets and black counter tops. To make it worse, they threw in white appliances. I am not going to have the cash to buy all new appliances right away (

like to get stainless) but want to give the kitchen an updated look. Of course the fluorescent lighting has got to go, but do ya'll have any suggestions to make the countertop/cabinets look better? I'm scared to death to paint the cabinets but think this is the only way to get a more modern look. The black countertops aren't bad but seem cheap and could potentially be replaced... ANY advice would be wonderful!! Thank you! (also, the green window covering and rug will be replaced- this is a realtor photo)

Commentaires (18)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    il y a 8 ans
    Paint the cabinets Bm white dove,it will make all the difference...if you are a DIY type person you can also look into Annie Sloan chalk paint,it is so easy...no sanding and looks professional...google it,comes in many colors too
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    il y a 8 ans
    You could also beef up your island with easy install wainscot
  • shirlpp
    il y a 8 ans

Once you paint the cabinets, change the hardware to brushed nickel/stainless.

There isn't much that you can do with the countertops, except replace them, and they do not look bad. If you are not going to do a total redo of the kitchen for at least 3-5 years, you might want to consider granite 12x12 tiles for the countertops.

• PRO
    CLR Design Services, Inc.
    il y a 8 ans
    Add a crown to the top of the cabinets to give it a more expensive look.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    il y a 8 ans
    No granite tiles,ugh...wait until you can upgrade...and look at Quartz,it is the new granite...easy to maintain
  • Jenn Lyle
    il y a 8 ans
    I disagree with shirlpp, and think any kind of tile used as a countertop is awful. Can you imagine cleaning food goo out of the grout lines? I think any continuous surface counter, even cheap laminate, is better than something tiled.
  • Jenn Lyle
    il y a 8 ans
    @Brandi, I have granite now, but have a sale pending on a home with quartz. I'm looking forward to the quartz. I hear it's easier to maintain and less prone to stains.
  • mrskain1
    il y a 8 ans
    I have granite and have no issues with staining and it takes about an hour a year to maintain. And I love my granite.
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

You can get prefabbed formica counters for a couple hundred dollars that look more like granite then you would believe. Look at Lowes they have nice selections vs HD. They sell them with ogee edges that again create an illusion of granite and are easier to upkeep. The island might need a custom piece but again it is a cheap proposition.

People turn their nose up to formica but there are so many options and it wears like iron. Add a nice backsplash and hold out 2 years and beat the paint the cabinet craze.

Also look into ikea cabinets they are cheaper then you think. There is no way I would choose painting over IKEA cabs unless you had a country style kitchen. Everybody pushes painting but it is not an easy job if done correctly. Also look into refacing it has a more dramatic look and a more finished look.

• shirlpp
    il y a 8 ans

Okay, No problem....I have granite also - not the tiles, and do not have any issues. I thought that if she wanted a quick fix, the tiles would be an answer.

• mrskain1
    il y a 8 ans
    No vote on the tiles. Butcher block could be a good alternative, maybe just on the island for some relief from the black laminate. Paint the cabinets, but don't take shortcuts on preparing them for paint.
  • PRO
    Astonia Stone Artisans
    il y a 8 ans
    There is no difference in maintenance from Quartz to Granite. It was in the past granite used to need to be sealed regularly- now granite is sealed with the same elements Quartz is made from. Granite is usually less expensive than Quartz and is not susceptible to thermal shock either. They are both great choices, but educate yourself to what works for you. I would add crown to the cabinets, paint them a soft white and add board and batten to the island in an accent color. Then find a countertop choice that makes you happy when you walk into your space and find a fabricator that takes pride in their work, materials and educating their customers.
  • swamp
    il y a 8 ans
    Quartz might be the NEW go to countertop but it is fabricated and can't tolerate hot from the oven pans. For me counter tops need to be practical so I used black granite but honed so there is minimal shine. Pastry and pizza dough can be rolled out easily since stone is cooler than wood or Formica. All pans in oven go directly onto counter so no need for hot plates. My granite has been down 8 years with no issues.
    Painting cabinets will give you a clean look.
  • PRO
    CLR Design Services, Inc.
    il y a 8 ans

Quartz counters such as Silestone, Caesarstone, etc. are heat resistant and I use them more and more in design. Personally, I prefer the look of natural stone but as more clients request quartz, manufacturers are coming out with better imitations, which make it easier for me to spec it. I found this link comparing all countertop options pros/cons. I hope this helps you make your decision. :)Countertop Comparison Chart

• User
    il y a 8 ans

Your cabinets are Oak - which means when you paint them you will see the wood grain in the reflections (if you are an Accountant or Engineer - this will drive you nuts). Do you like the rustic look? I have repainted and glazed over 100 kitchens - one of the least expensive finishes we offered was to take what you have, and glaze it with Sherwin Williams Van Dyke Brown. This is a glaze and stain solution that comes from them premixed in one can. It takes practice, but you can apply it so that it settles in the wood grain of the oak and adds much more character, while almost erasing the wash. You can also add more for edging and such. It does need a clear coat, and you need to spray that clear - brushing can disturb your fresh glaze. And you will need to either see a hired persons work firsthand (don't let them practice on your kitchen) or get some spare doors like yours from Habitat or Craigs and practice on them first. All that being said - the design trends these days are really moving toward cleaner looks, so glaze and distressing is really on a downward trend. But - it's your house, do what you like! Hope that helps? Robert

• J Williams
    il y a 5 ans

What you’ve got isn’t too offensive, I hate Over Range microwaves tho. I kind of feel that simply painting the walls a different colour and changing out the knobs (something more silvery perhaps,or black) might help freshen it up, you really want to stay away from greens as it will just emphasize the pink tones. A new light fixture too, obviously, esp if it’s just a tube light.

• J Williams
    il y a 5 ans

Sorry 2015.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».