Houzz Logo Print
debbie_descher

Big, boring, family room

debbie_descher
il y a 8 ans

We bought this wrap around sofa because it was the only one that fit the room. I hate the color and can't pick an accent color. I want to paint, get curtains, pillows and desperately need new tables, but it needs too be BIG which is hard to find and not sure of a wood color. Please let me know any of your ideas!

Commentaires (220)

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

You guys hate this right?

• Karina Sanchez
    il y a 8 ans

start with adding some fun new decorative pillows. piggy packing on your green color interest... i would also add in some teals/ light blues & mis matched pattern and size pillows. Will really help the room come to life.

• pcmom1
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

My favorite paint color seen from the above is that dark olive.

Wonder if we could put some reclaimed wood on the wall (just a section of the wall between the back windows) and hang the horse art on it. It would have to be a shade that would go with the blinds. Just have some of that shade in there.

REGENCY MANOR MODEL · Plus d'infos

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Pcomom1....Stunning

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 8 ans

You posted those blue samples earlier, and this "read" from Sherwin Williams saw your room as pretty uniform except for the Rhythmic Blue shown bottom right. You might find a shade on that same color chip card that pleases you if you're still considering blue. I've always liked a lighter blue with the color of your sofa.

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

No I don't like blue. Only posted blue because someone asked me to.

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

Very few things I hate. Just want it to work in the space.

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

What is that "read" thing from Sherwin Williams. Not sure what you are saying decoenthusiast.

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Looking at the picture PCMom posted there is very little colors other than neutrals and it looks beautiful. That's what I like

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

BM Mortar

debbie_descher a remercié susan2494
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I like the lamps, map, paint and rug. Not pillows, sorry. I think cocktail table, drums or ottoman cannot be brown. Need something to stand out? What do you think?

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Bingo....You read my mind! Is that table large enough? It's great!

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    Monochromatic rooms are lovely. I have that in my home. It is very difficult to pull off without looking drab and boring. It's a combo of textures, finishes and tones. Notice the reclaimed wood wall, textural rug, velvet couch? I think, in the photo. All very expensive pieces, but a great look :)
    debbie_descher a remercié User
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

http://www.westelm.com/products/carved-wood-coffee-table-g414/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables%7Ccoffee-tables%7C4294963182

How big is your space? This 32" rather small. You need 18-24" all around table from sofa for comfortable seating.

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

I just threw the pillows in for a bit of color. You get what you want.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

Debbie, are you feeling good about it now?

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 8 ans

Program at Sherwin Williams that "reads" your photo and matches their paint colors to it. Usually the first column of colors are those identified in the photo and the second column are more subtle accent colors detected by the program, or sometimes just the colors in a view out the window in your room - like sky blue and tree green.

debbie_descher a remercié decoenthusiaste
  • debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Susan2494 the room is 22x 20

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Havingfun I called an interior designer in my area. No reply yet. You all have really helped know what I like. Monochromatic

• happyleg
    il y a 8 ans

Those are nice what susan put up.

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

I meant how big is the space in the middle of the sofa area for a coffee table. You need 18-24" from the edge of the sofa to the edge of a coffee table. If it is 70" from one side to the other then a table about 35"-42" is about right.

• decoenthusiaste
    il y a 8 ans

Since you use it as a media room, treat it as such. Darken the walls to the same mushroom color as the sofa, hang some colorful movie posters and add some C tables where people can set their snacks.

West 14th - Media Room · Plus d'infos

Willoughby Way · Plus d'infos

ASID San Diego Design Excellence Awards 2014 · Plus d'infos

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    Nice to hear you will be consulting g a designer. You deserve to have a nice space for your family movie nights. Let us know when you are finished!
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

What did you think about that last wall color Mortar?

• tatts
    il y a 8 ans

That's not a wrap-around sofa. That's 3 sofas and 2 corner pieces. Break them up. Be creative with the layout--maybe put a few tables between the pieces (like end tables).

• happyleg
    il y a 8 ans

It's nice Susan too.

• pcmom1
    il y a 8 ans

OH, that mortar color is good!

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    She is consulting an I.D. Yay!
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

Yes, I can hardly wait to hear all about that meeting.

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

I like the mortar color. No return call yet from designer. And If those pics are meditteranean I take that back.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

hey no prob, will pull down. lol Just checking, sometimes they tell us something is something and it really is not that. tehehe, but now you know.

• happyleg
    il y a 8 ans

The wait is on.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

aren't we a little old for the whole birthing thing? oh well at least i am.

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Met with an interior designer and she is great. She should have some ideas for me this week. Thank you everyone for all your help. It gave me a better idea of what I like by plugging things into the room. Ill keep you posted, if your curious.

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

yep, great idea!

• avery2pt0
    il y a 8 ans

Debbie, just read your update re: the Interior Designer. Glad that the meeting went well and seems that you like her, too (always a plus when working with one! ;-)). Looking forward to seeing the ideas and/or finished space once you're done. :-)

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

Actually, it was Sandyc who recommended an interior designer, not a decorator. I can't take credit for her idea. Thanks Sandy! Hopefully, its affordable!

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

Didn't you discuss price points in the meeting? If you didn't, hang on to your wallet.

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

No

• User
    il y a 8 ans
    So happy your meeting went well. I suggested a designer, since you were kind of stuck, and having done your whole home over since the fire, I think you deserve a break!
    For some reason many on this forum think a designer will cost a lot of money, but don't bat an eyelash when suggesting to OPs that the furniture is all wrong, color of the walls are wrong after the OP has painted five times, etc.
    A designer works with ones budget and comes up with a multi stage plan. Not everything is done at once.
    A designer will be very helpful helping you choose a color scheme, since we are not there and can't see the room in person.
    It's a more economical way to design a room, instead of by the seat of your pants, and prevents many expensive design disasters.
    I'm very happy for you!
    debbie_descher a remercié User
  • susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

So this designer didn't bother to talk budget with you and she is bringing ideas. Holy moly. To me that's a little scary.

• avery2pt0
    il y a 8 ans

Debbie, I agree with Susan. I'm all for you working with a designer too, especially if you feel more comfortable completing your project with one. But a discussion that's budget-related (and particularly what you're expecting out of that budget) is definitely important to have sometime soon.....and before entering into an agreement or contract.

debbie_descher a remercié avery2pt0
  • debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

She actually did e-mail me a budget sheet after our meeting and before presenting any ideas. Nothing completed as of yet.

• susan2494
    il y a 8 ans

Update? Did you resolve any of your issues? Waiting to hear :>)

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

me too!

• debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

No, so far she sent me table choices and throw rugs and I said what I thought of each by email and she sent me large paint samples. But haven't heard from her since.

• happyleg
    il y a 8 ans

WOW are you paying her? Strange. Can we help?

debbie_descher a remercié happyleg
  • debbie_descher
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 8 ans

She just contacted me. Maybe she's reading this, lol

• havingfun
    il y a 8 ans

houzz as design monitor, thats a new one. lol

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».