Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Swivel or Stationary Bar Stools?

Emily H
il y a 8 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 8 ans

Country Hills · Plus d'infos

Bar stools come in all kinds! Do you like to swivel when you belly up to the bar or do you prefer more solid seating?

VOTE and tell us about it in the Comments!

Other - Tell us below

Commentaires (71)

• diyer59
    il y a 8 ans

You have to consider the bar first--does it require people to have to swivel out? Some bars are open at the ends which makes it easier for people sitting there to get out. But I feel they all should swivel because if you have someone next to you, the tendency is to back a chair out--that would trap the other person.

• casadonna
    il y a 8 ans

I have stationary and wish I bought swivel stools with back. Everyone scrapes the floor to pull the chair out

• suzanneweidler
    il y a 8 ans

Definitely swivel. These are way to close but it would be good to swivel since you could face the kitchen and converse with the cook or swivel to watch TV or talk with someone in the other room.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    il y a 8 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 8 ans

I like swivel bar stools, backless and on casters. If you can't stay on one of those, you don't belong at the bar. Self regulating.

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    il y a 8 ans

The swivels look great!

• greenapplejane
    il y a 8 ans

The bar stool that we recently purchased is swivel but automatically swivels back to the original position. Very sophisticated compared to all others we had seen and we really like it. It is leather with side arms and a nice back. We needed only one and have plenty of room for it.

• ozzie75
    il y a 8 ans

check out www.seatinginnovations.com. We just got our seats for the island and are getting ready to install them. I have several friends with them and I LOVE them!!!

• robandlyn
    il y a 8 ans

If you have kids - don't get swivel!! They think it is great fun to go round and round and round and round.....until the top screws off and mum is completely dizzy!!

• Maureen
    il y a 8 ans
    Designers and architects always put too many stools at counters!
  • 03runyan04
    il y a 8 ans

Backs on swivel chairs & only 3 chairs for this island.

• Suellen Valetta
    il y a 8 ans
    Swivel with backs. I had 3 rattan counter height stools. They were everyone's favorite place to sit.
  • bhindman39
    il y a 8 ans

swivel I have wood floors and stationary would really scratch the floors.

• Dzinfreak
    il y a 8 ans

swivel all the way, fun for kids and easier to get in and out of for adults. Also important are stools that have a the possibility to be raised or lowered. Makes it very convenient for kids or shorter adults who need a higher seat, or for tall people to lower the seat to make it more comfortable.

• Katherine Smith
    il y a 8 ans
    I purchased small profile swivel stools as I only have a small peninsula. I wanted to be able to adjust the height so as you can see I chose the screw swivel. It lets you decide how hi or low you want to be. That being said,if I had kids this would not be my choice.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    il y a 8 ans

I need my back to be supported, so a "swivel high chair like stool" is best because it is easier to hop in without moving it.

• heather glenn
    il y a 8 ans

after a few drinks, don't they ALL swivel????

• User
    il y a 8 ans

I don't find that swivel stools provide easier egress and moving parts mean more stuff can get broken,etc. I have wooden stools to which I added sliders. because the stools are wood, butts can easily slide out and the sliders make it easier to move the stools without using wheels (which I've found to be a pain to maneuver on stools and they change the height).

• J K
    il y a 8 ans
    Swivel at my island bar so one can turn to see outside, stationary with some back support, even if low back, at my formal bar where adults will sit.
  • Jan Kadan
    il y a 8 ans
    Swivel! My stools swivel around so you can talk to people behind you, but the best thing is they swivel back into place when you get out of them. They always return to position so I'm not constantly readjusting them. That's great when you have kids...and husbands :)
  • phatch9
    il y a 8 ans

I love swivel seats but on solid 4 legged stools . They also have to be easy to sit on. Some of the pedestal stools are next to impossible to sit on without ending on the floor especially for mature individuals. As we get a little older, solid base is preferred.

• Patty Elliott
    il y a 8 ans
    I really like this clean crisp look white bright kitchen.
  • Bruce Crawford
    il y a 8 ans

Swivel. The passageway on the side of our island where the stools are narrows on the DR end. Swivel makes it easier to get on & off w/ people around. @Hardware Resources, you may recognize some of your product in my DR fireplace mantel. Acquired through World of Moulding, Santa Ana, CA.

• redecoratingtropicalcalm
    il y a 8 ans
    what's with the multiple bar stool questions - back or no back and now this - just curious
  • Cathy Imburgia
    il y a 8 ans
    I need extra tall stools. Where can I find them.
  • willozwisp
    il y a 8 ans

To swivel or not to swivel, that is the question. Swivel is easier to exit. I would choose Swivel and Lift for height adjustment. Seems that it depends on application and where they are used. The most important issue for me would be seat diameter with swivel. Not all factors are equal when choosing one over the other.

• happy2b…gw
    il y a 8 ans

Swivel with a back. No problem with kids and better for getting on and off.

• Debra Glenn
    il y a 8 ans
    Definitely, swivel, because it's much easier to turn around in a swivel. Otherwise, you have to get up off the stool and turn it around. That may seem trivial, but if you're in a situation where you're constantly back and forth in a conversation, the ease of swiveling makes it possible and fun!!
  • ameya_b10
    il y a 8 ans
    I will prefer swivel with back support and height adjustible bar stool
  • piedmontdiva
    il y a 8 ans

No swivel with a back with kids.... they will bang the darn thing against the rim of the table for the rest of your life.

• debg007
    il y a 8 ans

Swivel with auto return function is my favorite. Also it's best if they have four sturdy legs! Mine with slightly raised back are very comfortable.

• mtgtomney
    il y a 8 ans
    Swivel , keeps you alert and lively ! Kids should never be on bar stools of any sort !
  • lcjinroslynpa
    il y a 8 ans

I'm with rileyestrada - "floating" swivel stools - or better, chairs - attached to the bar/table so they don't have to be moved for cleaning (I and my Roomba care about that!), with a return function so it always looks neat. One of the best things about permanently immovable chairs/stools is nobody will drag them someplace and stand on them and get hurt. They're pricey, but for the convenience and safety factors, I think they would be worth it.

• krootje
    il y a 8 ans

I absolutely dislike barstools! We rather sit at our beautiful comfy dining table to eat, whatever we are having. We have had a kitchen island with room for barstools before and were hardly using them. It was looking great but that was it. Now we have a kitchen island too but NO room for barstools and I think it's looking even better!

• qofmiwok
    il y a 8 ans

If you have a back, it needs to swivel or it's too hard to get in and out and scootch it into place. If it doesn't have a back, then it doesn't have to swivel.

• ouit
    il y a 8 ans

I have had both and the swivel makes it easier and faster to get comfortable at the bar

• jerdawn
    il y a 8 ans

I have swivel with metal arms and backs. My counter is granite. I also have grand children. Care to guess what all that has meant for my counter top? Even the adults are guilty of doing damage to the edge of the counter top because of the metal hitting the counter. My new house will have swivel, but probably NOT with backs. Sad because the ones with backs are much more comfortable.

• INgrid
    il y a 8 ans

Swivel with height adjustment. Also, no toe stubbing with pedestal leg.

• Carol
    il y a 8 ans

Swivel with a back. And foot rest.

• PRO
    Dawen Huang Interior Design
    il y a 8 ans

Considering the look: Bar stools with legs normally are more suitable for traditional or transitional style interiors, pedestal ones often look more modern with visible mechanism for adjusting seat height which are more suitable for contemporary style interiors.

Considering the functionality and practicality: I usually specified the swivel bar stools if the stool has an upholstered back cushion and arms.

Related personal thoughts: 42"H counter tops are so outdated, love the 36"H counter tops.

• PRO
    Montchanin Builders
    il y a 8 ans

Swivel if they are backless, stationary if they have backs and arms. You can destroy your countertop with all the swiveling! Hope this helps!

• Amy Lewin
    il y a 8 ans

Swivels are good if you need to put a lot into a small space, but I definitely prefer stationary. I feel like they're a lot safer, and people with longer legs wont be accidentally turning themselves into someone elses knees.

• PRO
    Dawen Huang Interior Design
    il y a 8 ans

A swivel bar stool with upholstered back cushion will not destroy a hard surface counter top that is normally made of Corian, granite, or Caesarstone.

• mkis99
    il y a 8 ans
    Swivel if children are not present. With children, definitely stationary.
  • eli
    il y a 8 ans

depends on how many drinks are being served

• PRO
    Decor & More, LLC
    il y a 8 ans

Definitely swivel. Much more functional when serving as extra seating.

• Lisa Williams
    il y a 7 ans

I've had 2 different sets of counter stools and they both swiveled. The first set when my kids were toddlers had backs. The first set went with us to a house that had only an island for dining in the kitchen (the kids were 5 and 8) and they did great with them.

The second set I owned also swiveled, had low backs and hydraulic lifts. These went with me in 2 different homes and were used at counter height and then bar height.

So my vote, is for 3 elements: swivel, back, and hydraulic/adjustable height! And I agree with other posters on the swivel that goes back to the original position.

• Maureen
    il y a 7 ans
    Perfect
    Color
    No swivel
  • Lynn Wu
    il y a 5 ans

Lisa Williams Would you recommend (or not not recommend) swivel with little kids? Seems like many people say that, especially with backs, but I'm not sure it matters. My kids are 4, 7, 7.

• Lisa Williams
    il y a 5 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 5 ans

Hi cailgirl123. I had swivel stools with low backs. And I had 4 kids under age 9 (added 2 stepkids by then). I would say it depends on 1. your kids, 2. the island configuration.

Bridgetown in Wexford Plantation · Plus d'infos

This island has an apron and support pillars that are wood and could be dinged by swivel backs.

Byron · Plus d'infos

This island has a simple stone overhang which, as long as its a durable stone, would probably fare OK.

I hope this helps with your decision :)

• Lynn Wu
    il y a 5 ans
    Thanks!
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».