Houzz Logo Print
jazzyb_26

What option would you choose? Exterior Addition Design

Martin L
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 7 ans

Exterior Addition · Plus d'infos

Hello All,

I need advice on the design options for our exterior addition to our house. You will see in the attached picture two options that my husband and I have created. Option A goes to the edge of the lower floor and would require committee of adjustments. It also centres the addition window with the existing garage. Option B is approx. 2 feet from the edge of the lower floor and doesn't require committee of adjustments. However, the window is not centred with the existing garage and is a little off.

I would love feedback on what option you like most and some comments on why. Each design has its strengths and weaknesses, so we are having a hard time choosing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Commentaires (8)

• kellyvorbroker
    il y a 7 ans

from the outside, i think either looks fine. it seems like the biggest difference would be with opt a, you would have a larger room upstairs - and usually people want more space and not less.

• lucidos
    il y a 7 ans

Consider altering the choice of window and roof line for option B thereby choosing the path of least resistance (and cost).

Respectively, with this plan is you may be able to pass a small walk out on the addition that could connect with any back decking.

I propose extending the roof to emulate the end point of the garage roof. Then offsetting the window center line to the garage.

• PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    il y a 7 ans

I would choose option A. My eye would always be going to the window over the garage and the vertical straight line on the right side and the indented line on the left. If Opt. B, I would move the right wall over the garage to match the left side indent, then center the window over the garage door.

• PRO
    Cusano Construction Company Inc.
    il y a 7 ans

Option A is much more clean. They do not have to replicate the hip ridge on the overhang, they can make it end flush with corner and have a birds box. I can see why they have the options, its because of the outside corner and garage overhang transition. I do not know the extent of your 2 story reno, but maybe ask your builder about not bringing the overhang across the garage or at least explore a rendering without. It will give the house a lot more height. It may not be able to be done because the depth of your existing 1st story cladding (brick, stone) but you could change that also.

• PRO
    Point Design LLC
    il y a 7 ans

I have to agree with all of what Barbara Griffith says.

• Martin L
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

Thanks for all your comments.

To help with your questions, I have attached the other angles for the design options, but apparently the quality of the photo is terrible. I can try to upload it again when I get home.

Here is all 4 sides of house:

Again, any feedback is always appreciated!

• Martin L
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Ok, I tried to obtain a better quality shot - here are the 3 remaining sides - still blurry, but slightly better.

• PRO
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».