Houzz Logo Print
azotova87

Suggestions for landscaping (full sun)?

Alexandra
il y a 7 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 7 ans

Hello Houzz,

Purchased a fixer upper in the North Eastern part of the US (NYC Metro Area). No money to fix the siding for now. Thinking of replacing the storm door and adding some landscaping in the front/back.The property gets a lot of sun from all angles. I already purchased a couple of plants that were for the sun, yet burned. At a loss of what to do.

Would appreciate any suggestions/leads!

Commentaires (42)

• PRO
    kustom kourtyards
    il y a 7 ans

Front yard Landscape:

maybe, plant some red knock out roses parallel to the back of the house.

18 inches from the the wall. Space 18 inches from each plant

Use some rose plant food. I use vigoro. Make sure you water any plants daily for two weeks. Morning & Afternoon. Afterwards, three days a week - After you get off work.

Ixora in front- yellow or a reddish orange

Dwarf Bottle brushes

After, winter season - maybe look at some Azaleas. Or, a Bird of Paradise

Fragrance plants - white flower ( gardenias smell wonderful)

Back Fence:

Red Oleanders along the back fence

Alexandra a remercié kustom kourtyards
  • emmarene9
    il y a 7 ans

It sounds like you did not water your plants well enough. It is difficult to get things started in the heat of summer. I think you should wait until spring and that gives you time to research plants. I cannot make recommendations as I am in California zone 9b. Try asking some local gardeners or looking at your neighbors houses.

Alexandra a remercié emmarene9
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm hoping to start off with some Spring flowers. Roses and alike sound like a great idea.

• jhmarie
    il y a 7 ans

Also ask at your local garden store about perennials that are native to your area and like sun. Native plants tend to do well even if neglected a bit after they are established. In my area, purple cone flower and day lilies are just two of many perennials that practically take care of themselves.

Alexandra a remercié jhmarie
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 7 ans

The back 3 - I like red- or yellow-twigged dogwood bushes. Place 2 in between the 3.... Maybe a firepit at a safe distance, or benches --- a destination farther away from barbeque/ eating area... do you have kids?

Alexandra a remercié everdebz
  • 111ideahound
    il y a 7 ans

I would do as much as I could to eliminate the grass in back yard with circular flower beds around a tree that will grow rather big. (sorry not familiar with your zone) There is a 'gardening group' here on Houzz you can find in 'discussions' on front page. Maybe: keep a rectangle of grass (easy to mow) then curvy all along the fence, just flowers and shrubs and some trees.

Alexandra a remercié 111ideahound
  • 111ideahound
    il y a 7 ans

• 111ideahound
    il y a 7 ans

my favorite!

• shirlpp
    il y a 7 ans

Fall is a great time to get your grass started. You might want to go to a garden center and inquire about this, or call in a landscaping service to do it.

You want to ensure that the plants and flowers you use are for full sun - if it is full sun(6+ hours a day) in your yard. If it is partial and full sun, make sure you use the right plants.

Your neighbors might be helpful with what will grow in the area...Good Luck.

Alexandra a remercié shirlpp
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, I have 2 small children. We put small swing set along the wall towards the back of the backyard. Will try to post some updated pictures. I am also struggling with some invasive grass that is super tall and sprouts some seeds. It has killed the little bit of good grass I had. I also purchased some flowers for the spring at Costco and Home Depot. Will take a photo of them as well. Maybe you guys can direct me where to plant them this upcoming week or two?

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Daffodils? love them. In a way, it'd be a shame to remove the bushes in the very back - you're keeping those?

The area by garage with dead grass - not to be lax about planning something else - but since it's dead [and could be removed], is there a play area that'd be better with a 'flat' surface? Will swing set be to right of garage? Do they need a sand box?

Garden Screen · Plus d'infos
    Modern Exterior · Plus d'infos

• gtcircus
    il y a 7 ans
    Plant in the fall.
  • suezbell
    il y a 7 ans

Fall is the best time to plant grass and I'd suggest you focus primarily on that for this fall. You could plant any bulbs you want in the planting areas this fall, too. Follow the directions on the package for either one.

Any trees you want to add can be added early spring.

You should probably wait till after the last spring freeze to add shrubs.

Consider adding a plain concrete bird bath to the planting area. Make sure the bowl is wider at the top than in the bottom of the bowl, such as sunflower design, so any ice can expand and rise up rather than break the bowl.

http://www.rubiconwildbirdsandmore.com/Images/Pics%202-18-10/Concrete%20Bird%20Baths%20and%20Bases.jpg

To add grass seed, you'll need to aerate your yard soil first, add seed and then add a very thin scattered layer of fescue hay to help hold some moisture on the dry soil and keep the seed in place.

You could buy a less expensive aerator or use a garden fork or garden rake

http://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/hgtv/fullset/2012/1/10/4/RX-DK-LGC09501_garden-fork_s3x4.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.1280.1707.jpeg

http://www.bloggerluv.com/images/lawn-aerators-985-lawn-aerator-sandals-584-x-584.jpg

http://www.yardbutlerstore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Manual-Lawn-Coring-Aerator-D-6C-Carded.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31y4cNmYnEL.jpg

or rent one of the better aerators

https://www.google.com/search?q=aerator&biw=1366&bih=673&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOtrDohqLPAhXIez4KHSErDoIQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=OmiIxHNuX5SfVM%3A

Alexandra a remercié suezbell
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

Might this silvery roof blend with your current white fence? PRO /Ibarra Rosano Design Architects: "steel stud track as shading device/guardrail"

PRO/Global Syn-Turf - Artificial Grass Supplier: Just so everyone is aware, recycled tire rubber is under scrutiny right now (as of 02-04-15) because of its purported adverse health effects. However, no conclusive studies have been conducted thus far: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/rubber-mulch-safe-surface-your-childs-playground-n258586

Play Yard at Winter Residence · Plus d'infos

• ribbonrider
    il y a 7 ans

For my ever all season blooming garden I have these: bulbs (daffils, tulips, crocus), shrub roses for structure and summer blooms, lilies for mid summer color, and perennials like cone flowers/guara, geraniums for variety of spring/summer/fall color

• Molly Stewart
    il y a 7 ans

I love that you bought a "Fixer Upper" with no money to fixer upper with...and then have the brains to ask others for free how to "fixer upper it"

brilliant !!!

• Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Tmmay, Thank you for sarcasm. My fixer upper is getting fixed on the inside right now. you don't need to fixer upper it all at once.
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    The exterior won't be fixed in another 2 years as my money has been budgeted elsewhere, like the heating system, kitchen gut, bathroom gut, etc. But what should I know, since you know my situation so well.
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Thank you guys for the sandbox suggestion. Although my little would live it, I'm certain all that sand will end up in my house. I do love your input. So please, let those creative ideas come as my landscaping evolves. :)
  • sandi125
    il y a 7 ans
    I have always been told to plant in the fall. It is not so hot then and the roots will grow over the winter. Everything must be watered faithfully that first year. After the initial few weeks, I still water plants at least once a week if there isn't enough rain. After the professional landscaping was done for our current home, we used soaker hoses on timers. You can purchase both at Lowe's or Home Depot. I suggest you get a landscape professional's advice for a simple plan you can install yourself over time. Properly prepared soil/drainage is a must. We have a lot of clay in our area. I think your house is really cute. Post some before/after pics when you finish.
    Alexandra a remercié sandi125
  • 111ideahound
    il y a 7 ans

My favorite flower (bulb)

along the house front

• Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Hi all, I got these flowers to plant. Will definitely add more, but would like your suggestions on arrangement and any additional plants that will look good with these. Do I mix them? Do I plant them separately? what goes in the front? what goes in the back?
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

suezbell, thank you for such a detailed post. I'm pretty much a beginner at gardening/landscaping, so your breakdown was really helpful. I think the shoe aerator is up my alley. Do I just put them on and run around the yard making holes in the ground?

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

What are the yellow flowers in the photo's front yard? Will they come up again - perennial?

• everdebz
    il y a 7 ans

What is height of each kind?

How much water does each need? You can group light with light, etc... but doubt that's much of a deal.

When is their peak?

• Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    The yellow ones are Daffodils. Hm, don't see anything on the pack about them coming back. I assume they do. Not sure about the others.
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    daffodils packaging
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Muscari
  • everdebz
    il y a 7 ans
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Allium
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Tulips
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    In order of blooming: Tulips early Spring, Daffodils in Spring and Fall (recurring every year), Muscari early to mid Spring, Allium late Spring.

Seems like I am missing some complimentary flowers. The packaging is recommeding Pansies and Mums to compliment Daffodils.

Also, not sure Allium will look good on its own in late Spring...and there is nothing to carry me to the Summer. Any thoughts? I like shrubs as well. Maybe I can get some of those too?
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Great article Everdebs! Definitely tKing tips from there. I agree with you, not a big fant of purple and yellow unless it's part of a medow look.
  • jhmarie
    il y a 7 ans

Bulbs usually come back every year. Pansies like cool weather and in my area people plant them in early spring - but they are an annual in my area. They don't do well in the summer heat and get replaced by summer annuals like petunias. Mums bloom in the fall and are perennials though sometimes I lose one over the winter.

I planted a lot of annuals while waiting for my perennials to get established. Now I usually just plant annuals in my pots or in a few bare places. If you know some gardeners, they often need to thin their perennials and will give some away.

• laurkade
    il y a 7 ans
    All the bulbs you have selected should come back each spring. Check to see if they need refrigerating before planting- some do. The yellow and purple bulbs are planted together in my area ( south) and look very nice. Since you have small kids, stay away from oleanders. They are toxic if leaves are eaten.
    For your front beds, I would dig up everything except yellow flowers. The small plants, I would put in pots and use on back patio to soften concrete. The two cedar trees may be too big to dig up and save. If you can save them, I would plant them in back yard in the corners of back fence. You would have to dig up one plant in back and fill in area to left of garage in order to do this. Keep plants on back fence area. Perhaps make a bed in back fence area and plant pink bulbs (peonies) between each existing plant. In front beds I would plant Nandinas in each corner (not dwarf ones) 2 on each side,
    In between 2 Nandinas on each side of house I would plant an
    Indian Hawthorne. Don't plant it directly between, pull out in front somewhat. This will give you room to plant flowers on each side of Indian Hawthorne . I would buy 3 dwarf nandinas and plant them in pots. Place one pot on left of garage and 2 on right of garage in front area to soften concrete. In the winter pansies and dust miller are my favorite plants. For summer, my favorite plants are caladiums, coleus and begonias, Fall I use chrysanthemums . Many of the mums will re loom each year. like variegated lirope for borders. If you did not want to plant shrubs in front beds, you could plant Japenese maple in each bed. You can never go wrong with knockout roses.
  • Emily Jowers
    il y a 7 ans
    Did you water them when the sun was high? Watering around midday will burn the the leaves. Usually want to water when the sun is going down or early morning.

I like the house. The siding looks nice unless there's something wrong with it that I can't see. I would definitely remove the awnings. They date the house horribly. This house would look cute with a tin roof. You could extend the roof over the porch and supper it with two wooden posts and the end of the stairs. (I realize that's probably not in the budget now). Flowers and bushes will help tremendously.
  • Alexandra
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans
    Hi Emily, thank you for your input. The siding is wooden, but has multiple layers of paint that is cracking and peeling throughout. Not sure if I could get it power washed (which I really want). I may have to replace the whole thing. Love your idea for the roof and the awning as well. Yes, the awning is so dating. I would like to replace it with something more updated (need cover from the scorching sun in the entry). Do you have any suggesions on the awning replacement?
  • Kathy Yata
    il y a 7 ans

Your house is already very cute. I actually like the awnings too. Don't do anything this year, wait and live with it for a few months. A little timber arbor in front of each door would be adorable but drippy after rain. You could grow a vine on them too.

I'd leave the shrubs alone and work on the lawns for this year. The weedy grass didn't kill the good grass, lack of experience and neglect before you even bought the house encouraged the weedy grass and discouraged the good grass. There's a lawn forum on GardenWeb, I'd go read and post there on what to do.

Figure out your USDA zone and never ever buy a plant too tender! Most of the plants suggested won't be found at your local nursery as they are too tender. Walk around your new neighborhood and your local arboretum and take pictures of plants you like then go to the nursery for ID. There are plenty of great plants for the NE but oleanders and such aren't suitable! I don't know about the roses suggested either but there are nice roses that can grow in cold climates.

Plant your new bulbs any way you please between and in front of the shrubs. Look at the packaging for how tall they grow and put them that far away from lawn or path way as the old leaves will fall over and you must leave them or you won't have flowers next year. Bulbs are like cut flowers, beautiful but last only a week.

• Emily Jowers
    il y a 7 ans
    A simpler cloth awning could work in a beige or a color you like. A cedar awning would look nice with the green and brick. You could maybe do a grave arbor type with some kind of dense plant growing on it for shade. Sorry the pictures aren't very good. Hopefully they give some
    Idea of what I'm thinking.
    Alexandra a remercié Emily Jowers
  • Emily Jowers
    il y a 7 ans
    More pics
    Alexandra a remercié Emily Jowers
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».