Houzz Logo Print
elizabethcorr

North facing kitchen with buttercream cabinets

elizabethcorr
il y a 7 ans

I have a huge kitchen that needs some character. When we moved in, we removed hideous floral wallpaper and ended up with a boring neutral that I think does nothing for the cabinets. They are a really buttery cream with a carmelish glaze. I really like Wythe Blue or Palladian Blue but I don't know if it will work. The oak trim also makes it difficult. I really don't want to paint it. My house color palette is blues and greens. The kitchen does get some natural light at one end but over by the cabinets is pretty dark. Help please. I always seem to screw this up.

Commentaires (19)

• zealart
    il y a 7 ans

your kitchen cabinets have a lot going on by themselves.I would not say that this kitchen has no character, quite the opposite. I would replace with three hanging lights with something more interesting and substantial. They look cheap and too small. If you want to paint the walls blue, I think it's fine. I don't think the oak is an issue. Just paint a couple of different blue swatches and pick the one you like most.

• Anne Johnston
    il y a 7 ans
    Do you have lighting under the cabinets? If not, adding them will help. Your kitchen is beautiful.
  • Jess
    il y a 7 ans
    I would think it depends upon the look you're going for. The colors you're considering would look lovely with the cream and the oak, and would provide nice contrast. You could also try a a cream that is lighter than the cabinets for the walls for more subtle contrast. The color on the walls now looks close to the color of the cabinets, which is why you might be feeling like it's too boring.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    il y a 7 ans

the light should be changed, i agree. I would do individual pendants, but if you don't want the hassle then something a little larger would work. I would also paint the wood trim in a white to brighten up the room.

• calidesign
    il y a 7 ans

I think the blue colors would look great in there. I would also update the pendents, and add extra recessed lights as well.

• PRO
    Knight Kitchens Ed Stoehr
    il y a 7 ans

Perhaps just incorporate the blue on just the base cabinets of the island. The fluting on the island is a bit busy, if you repaint it I would remove the round element on top of the fluting with a flat piece of wood.

• arkvillager
    il y a 7 ans

Before I even checked out your color choices I was thinking blue-green so I like both your choices. It does look to me that the Palladian is a little more grey and the Wythe is a little brighter. Wythe would be my choice (but I'm prejudiced because I have a similar color in my master bedroom--Valspar April Thicket).

• tedbixby
    il y a 7 ans

What color is the cabinet on the far left side. And is there anything else that is happening in this kitchen area that needs to be taken into consideration for paint colors? Such as a dining nook or table?

Changing out that pendant fixture will make such a huge difference. Do you have another fixture in the area that would need to be taken into consideration, too?

elizabethcorr a remercié tedbixby
  • PRO
    User
    il y a 7 ans

It could look wonderful to see your cabinets in a shade like the ones you see in our design here. Then you could paint the walls a light blue color. Are you keeping the backsplash?

Modern Country Kitchen · Plus d'infos

Modern Country Kitchen · Plus d'infos

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors
    il y a 7 ans

We wanted to share some of our kitchen designs with you. Observe the pendants over the island?

Daniels Lane · Plus d'infos

Designer’s Cottage: Kitchen · Plus d'infos

Hamptons Estate: Kitchen · Plus d'infos

• elizabethcorr
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 7 ans

Tedbixby thanks for asking. All the cabinets are the same color. There are 4 light fixtures in the room which all coordinate so changing the island fixture is problematic for me and I probably will not do that. This is a very large kitchen with a nook on the other end with large windows and a large area with a table and also a desk area. The lighting is different throughout with a lot of natural light in the half with the nook and table and then not much light by the cabinets. This makes it hard to like a color for the whole room and I don't think I can break it up

• imhofan
    il y a 7 ans

Nice kitchen. Seeing the extension to your breakfast area, I would consider a lighter ivory to your walls and add color with blue/yellow french povencial like pottery and drapes/valence. I would reconsider replacing the island light fixture as there are so many awesome inexpensive options; you can replace the island without worrying about other areas right now--would make such an impact to your room.

• tedbixby
    il y a 7 ans

I totally agree with imhofan. Cream/ivory walls and reconsider replacing island fixture.

• tedbixby
    il y a 7 ans

I came across this kitchen which some what reminded me of yours. Gives you a visual of a lighter paint color and how the right fixture over the island gives the kitchen some character.

http://colorlibs.com/kitchen-ceiling-design/interesting-kitchen-ceiling-designs-photo-album-home-design-ideas-in-for-kitchens-and-a-by-way-of-existing-interesting-environment-in/

• alycatnat
    il y a 7 ans

I agree that the ceiling looks too white, it would be good a cream in the same color family as the cabinets or a light version of the wall color. A saturated color with personality, something peacock-y, would look great on the walls. Lots of added lighting to replace the sunlight you don't have, I agree with others that the island pendants should have more impact. White can look really cold in northern facing, low light spaces, I would avoid going too white.

• marmarsuperstar
    il y a 3 ans

What did you end up doing? I am in the exact same predicament as you.

• enajasereht
    il y a 3 ans

How about some better lighting and a blue ceiling?

Victorian Heirloom · Plus d'infos

• pamtheartist
    il y a 3 ans

The one thing that looks out of place in your kitchen are the white wall ovens. I’d change it to stainless to match the fridge. A paler version of the cabinet color would be nice on the walls. I agree with others that good lighting is the key since your natural light is limited. Maybe a new countertop for the island too. But I think your kitchen is really very nice- spacious, traditional, warm!

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».