Houzz Logo Print
isidora_markovic90

Dark or pale grout - which do you prefer?

Isidora Markovic
il y a 7 ans

Grout may seem like a micro detail, bus as tiling is an often inevitable component of kitchen and bathroom areas, subtle differences between the shade of grout chosen has the potential to quite dramatically alter the overall appearance, atmosphere and style of a space!

Are you a fan of bold, border defining, dark grout, or do you prefer the more understated look of pale grout? And, if and when installing tiles into a space in your home, which would you go for?

Whichever you've voted for, leave a comment explaining the thinking behind the vote below!

Commentaires (15)

• A S
    il y a 7 ans
    Hi, in our small wet room we used a combo of plain white tiles alongside a feature patterned grey and white and decided to use mid grey to help break up the tiles and add another dimension of interest. I think grey adds another level of sophistication contrasting to the usual white...
  • PRO
    The London Tile Co.
    il y a 7 ans

Grey grout goes with most tiles, highlights the pattern you have laid your tiles in, and is easier to keep looking good

• PRO
    Philip Kelsey Kitchens & Interiors
    il y a 7 ans

Agree with comment above. Big lover of grey grout, great for contrast!

• PRO
    Acacia Home
    il y a 7 ans

I must admit, I quite like dark now as you dont have to worry so much about staining ruining the look

• ad_mason
    il y a 7 ans
    I voted dark because this I what I last did when tiling. That said the floor tiles were black so in that case the dark grout blended in but the same dark grout with white metro tiles on the wall really added a bit of wow factor.
  • Katherine Smart
    il y a 7 ans

In my experience, if you use white/pale grout you will be forever on your hands and knees with a toothbrush and bleach trying to keep it clean. When you wash floors with a standard mop and water, it washes the dirty water in between the tiles and stains the grout - even if you wash it regularly.

• Penny Coppin
    il y a 7 ans

For grout in shower units dark is definitely more practical. I have two showers in my house. The one I grouted in annoff white is already discoloured and needs a lot more scrubbing to get it clean. The shower with the dark gray still looks fresh and new and makes the whole area a special feature of the bathroom.

• karen6696
    il y a 7 ans
    I prefer grout closely matched to colour of wall tiles but for pragmatic reasons floor tile grout should be grey or darker.
  • Sue Cooper
    il y a 7 ans

We've got the same tiles in our kitchen with dark grey grout. You need to make sure the tiling is put up well as the dark grey highlights spacing errors. It also doesn't stain as much a white which is a bonus.

• Tellewrig
    il y a 7 ans

Dark grout doesn't show the dirt especially on floor tiles. Our tiler insisted on grey grout even with white floor tiles and everytime I look at other people's grubby white grout and I mentally thank him again

• PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows
    il y a 7 ans

Both, as the colour should compliment the tile colour, regardless of being either pale or dark.

• Norren Bird
    il y a 7 ans

I used white 40x15cm tiles in my shower, fixed brick-bond, landscape, and almost black grout. The tiler said it took him longer than usual to make sure it looks neat and it's pristine. Agree with all comments about flooring - I inherited cream floor tiles with cream grout on my ground floor. Horrendous - just don't look too closely :-) x

• PRO
    Allium Interior Solutions
    il y a 5 ans

Depends on what sort of look you are wanting to achieve; The grey is more industrial and really works well with the wet room shower heads/floor tiles in the image. The white gives a more traditional look. Practically speaking white is fairly high maintenance...

• Heidi Cullen
    il y a 5 ans

For my floors I have black tiles and black grout. I love the 'falling into the abyss' look. On walls with lighter colours I will go light but I have gone black with my bathroom wall tiles as they are the same as the floor.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».