Houzz Logo Print
jrichh3

Private NYC Patio Needs Help!

Jessica R
il y a 11 ans
Hi everyone! I would love your help on how to make my NYC patio more comfortable and homey feeling. My husband and I got super lucky finding a rental apartment on the Upper East Side with a ~600 sq foot completely private patio (the dimensions are approx 30' wide x 20' deep). See the attached panorama shot taken from inside the living room window. You can't really see it but there is a 3-foot wide strip of dirt along the back wall that is surprisingly fertile. I just took this photo last week, so it's pretty sparse out there at the moment. The last couple of summers I have simply planted basil in the whisky barrel and colorful impatiens in the back strip of dirt (plus mulch to make it clean-looking). Both grew very well. There are also two small trellises with ivy growing up them leaning against the back wall. We used to have three tall evergreen bushes/trees (not sure what exactly they were) planted in the back strip as well, but they all died within a year. As for the furniture, the only thing to add is that the chair set has light blue cushions.

So... what would YOU do with this space in terms of gardening and furniture arrangement if you could only spend $500-$600? There's just something missing back there. We use it for dinner parties pretty frequently (we have a small electric Weber grill), but I don't think I've ever just gone out there to sit and relax -- that's the goal!

Some things to keep in mind and a specific question:

1. We're renters, so we can't do anything permanent and we can't paint.
2. The space gets very little sunlight. The whisky barrel is in the one really sunny spot.
3. The back wall belongs to the neighboring building, so I can't drill any holes.

1. If I bought an outdoor rug, where would you place it -- under the table or under the chair set? And how big should it be?

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to hear what you come up with!

Commentaires (106)

• patricia1971
    il y a 11 ans
    Wow! You got people thinking! I think I've seen most of my thoughts already posted except one. Upper east side... How about cheap lattice on the wall, add ivy, boxwood in the dirt, and planters. Solid start.
  • lindaghastin
    il y a 11 ans
    I put in a small waterfall with pond - I got it several years ago at Costco for around $100. I added some grasses and rocks around it and love it. The sound of water is soooo relaxing! An added benefit was that it attracted wildlife - squirrels and birds - to drink from it. Look on line for a small "waterfall in a box." Also came with a light in the pool so it's visible at night.
  • PRO
    Blue Bird Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Hi Jessica, what a fantastic space you have. I would start with the dividing space. How about covering the boarding with something as simple as Oilcloth. Use a bold stripe making sure it has a good element of green in it. This you can attach with thumb tacks without leaving damage. Consider using old crates to create interest up against the back wall. These can be left in their natural state or painted. Use them to make a living wall - use herbs too.
  • PRO
    Blue Bird Design
    il y a 11 ans
    Use mirrors - get hold of second hand ones, the bigger and more ornate, the better. Stand them against the wall or attach to the back of crates if you want to raise them-use other crates or blocks to achieve the height. What about a canopy? Use big planters to set the support poles in and plant around. Cover with what ever you have - old sheets, sheer curtains, tarpaulin... Ikea have a canopy that's used for over a bed retailing at €10.00 in Ireland poss US$15.00 these could be attached to a sturdy support again sat in a deep planter - use 3 or 4 attached at different heights to create a unique design. I'm attaching lots of images showing good ideas. Get lots of plants - ferns are good, thrive and don't need lots of TLC, aloe vera also good, There are lots of very good quality artificial plants out there too. Look forward to seeing the finished project. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Blue Bird Design
    il y a 11 ans
    more pics
  • PRO
    Blue Bird Design
    il y a 11 ans
    yet more pics.
  • PRO
    Blue Bird Design
    il y a 11 ans
    last lot! I've had a lot of fun doing this. Makes me want to get out there and create, create, create..
  • gypsyrose17
    il y a 11 ans
    I think some accessories will probably do it for you...cushions for your metal furniture (you can buy remnants of indoor outdoor fabric and do a mix and match if you make your own, or use vinyl tablecloths as fabric). Add some small tables, an assortment of shade loving potted plants (fushia, begonia, violas, hosta, ferns) in a variety of pots, stick a few tiki torches with citronella oil in the larger pots with the plants (I found beautiful glass ones on metal rods at big Lots for $6 & $8). You can pick up small unpainted stools (usually $5) and paint them different colors and place some of the pots on them to add height and color. You can also just place some straw/jute mats (the ones that roll up with ties that are sold to lie on...just cut off the ties) on the deck as area rugs, most are 4 x 6 ft.. Small statuary, candles, etc.
  • katherein
    il y a 11 ans
    Make sure it's Baltic Ivy or it won't climb. I think you would be better off getting some large indoor type plants and lining them up against your wall to immediately provide greenery. If you were owners and were going to be here for the long time you could plant climbing hydraganas or the ivy Then maybe buy some larger tubs and plant some annuals you like. I love the firepit idea but you could also do a waterfeature which could be soothing.
  • cutiesea
    il y a 11 ans
    I would definitely get some area rugs to soften the look. You can purchase big brown containers at Costco for under $25.00. A fire pit would be nice to have. Constantly check weekly ads from Lowes, HomeDepot etc... Big Lots have an assortment of nice reasonable outdoor furniture. A tall trellis would like nice in the middle flanked by some tall Italian Cypress trees. Kirklands also has nice outdoor furniture. Use coupons when you can because it will reduce your cost of completing your patio. Outdoor bar area/ outdoor cooler to hold beverages. Battery operated or solar candles.
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    il y a 11 ans
    Christin Eggener · Plus d'infos

FL PATIO · Plus d'infos

COVERED PATIO REDESIGN 2009 · Plus d'infos

beverly drive - outdoor dining room · Plus d'infos

beverly hills peck - · Plus d'infos

Transitional Home · Plus d'infos

Paradise Valley Residence · Plus d'infos

Lots of plants, BRIGHT FLOWERS, multiple conversation areas can be for 2 or 4, an umbrella or pergola, outdoor rug, hanging lights, an outdoor bar, lattice for flower vine along back wall of building, an outdoor bar area, candles, bright cushions, add as you can afford.
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 11 ans
    I really like the pallet idea by soneone above.. There was an article on it on houzz for how to decorate with pallets n wine bottle boxes.. Easily available n cheap. Check the article
  • PRO
    EasyTurf
    il y a 11 ans
    EasyTurf is the way to go if you do go plan to use synthetic turf. our drainage is unmatched - The main differentiation in EasyTurf products is the MaxxFlow backing, a proprietary 100% permeable backing that drains faster and cleaner than any other turf backing - which is especially important on balcony and rooftop installations.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPiptLLbaqs
    Let me know if you have any questions ...
    Cheers!
    George
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/164303/Rooftop-Installation
  • leelee
    il y a 11 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 11 ans
    For the money $500 - $600 I'd get two very comfy lounge chairs and a few plants....relax and enjoy!
  • ruthieq
    il y a 11 ans
    wine box's hard to get ..I have tried three different stores and wine distributers..most wine companies are shipping in cardboard boxs now..
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 11 ans
    Oh
  • Jessica R
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 11 ans
    UPDATE #1: Thanks everyone for your great ideas! As you can see in the photos, I haven't done much yet, but I did buy a super bright rug, some blue glazed pots and a few flowers (lots more flowers to come). I also bought some inexpensive reed fencing to cover the ugly side walls. Here's my dilemma... which you probably already see... my awesome new rug really clashes with the cushions on my patio furniture. Like really bad. So I have a few options: 1) buy new cushions that don't clash - prob just a neutral, 2) exchange the blue rug for a neutral rug in the same pattern, or 3) I'm wildly overreacting and it doesn't clash that bad.

I'm realizing that new cushions are crazy expensive. I bought the whole set (two chairs, a loveseat and a coffee table) for $299 and it would cost that much just for new cushions. But I love the rug and how the color works with the blue pots and red umbrella (I've decided to go for a blues, reds and neutrals color scheme). Any ideas for inexpensive cushions replacements or covers? Or am I being crazy and should just leave it be?
  • Brenda
    il y a 11 ans
    maybe it's just the picture (or the way my screen is showing it), but I don't think they clash at all. The cushions look a bit taupey-blue to me.

love the rug -- it already is helping to brighten up the entire space!
  • Dana Evans
    il y a 11 ans
    The cushions are bugging me too. dang. LOVE the rug. Don't change that. Home Depot and Lowes, Target all have outdoor cushions - check them out.
    I recently bought a wicker sofa for $50 with no cushions - and I did invest in cushions from Ballard Designs - love them. Simple neutral color in Sunbrella.
    I think your space is looking great!!!! Sometimes it pays to invest in updated cushions!!
    Attached is a shot of my $50 sofa - with other Pier 1 pieces. I sprayed them all the same color :-) Porch was set for a family movie night :-)
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    il y a 11 ans
    Great start!
  • studio10001
    il y a 11 ans
    Pillows could tie this together -Overstock, Wayfair, fabric and a laundrer. TJMaxx carries both cushions and pillows - try the one in Harlem, first.
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 11 ans
    The clash is minimal. Didn't even strike me.. Colour combo of red n blue will be great... Tho those seats in red would've been good too. Even yellow.. I think with accessories and flowers, clash wouldn't even come to your mind..
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 11 ans
    The rug is perfect!!
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    il y a 11 ans
    Hi Jessica,
    I don't think anyone else will notice the cushions, they will be sitting on them. They will however notice the pretty table set with colorful napkins and dinnerware, enjoying the surroundings, flowers, plants, food and company. Keep the rugs and don't sweat the small stuff : )
  • Brenda
    il y a 11 ans
    Jessica -- have you joined "MYHABIT" yet (Amazon.com's sale/closeout site)? There are some really great outdoor blue patterned chairs and stools on there right now (Color Crush:Julie Brown) ... and cheap! They are a very similar pattern to your new rug. If you have an Amazon ID, then you use that to login (good return policy as well). Here's a link, and once you login click on "home" then "Julie Brown": http://myhabit.com/ref=qd_mr_per_l?refcust=7FARY32SDLHZ6E2L7ZZG2SJBIU
  • gypsyrose17
    il y a 11 ans
    Your rug has elements of a Morrocan design, you might go for some Morrocan accesories and colors to finish it off.
  • nancy lindsay
    il y a 11 ans
    I would do a 3 foot long planter that is like 30 inches or so high on brick wall---u could do two! Trees in large planters in corners---you can add lights when entertaining----two rugs-lots of cushions and pillows and then lots of potted flowers-do in groups. Tall hurricanes with candles on tables. Add lots of color.
  • Jessica R
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thanks, @anumaura!! I bought the red pillows!
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 10 ans
    Great! :) glad that helped
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Globe Solar String Lights · Plus d'infos
    Starry String Lights, Amber Lights on Copper Wire · Plus d'infos
    Lanterns with Glass hurricane · Plus d'infos
    Mediterranean Candleholders · Plus d'infos
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 10 ans
    Found this:
  • PRO
    Soothing Company
    il y a 10 ans
    Adding a water feature

http://www.soothingwalls.com/floor-fountains.html

or ethanol fireplace

http://www.thesoothingcompany.com/fireplaces/bio-ethanol-fireplaces.html

would be a nice touch for that space. Both would add wow factor and keep the area a personal sanctuary.
  • PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    il y a 10 ans
    Don't know how much you've done already - what a lot of great ideas Houzz readers have - but since I'm a horticulturist, I'll suggest a few things about plants. You always get the most bang for your buck from large tropical foliage: a couple of areca or kentia palms, a couple of white bird of paradise, a couple of ficus trees, a few peace lilies and Chinese evergreen, and finish with a container or two of mixed annuals for color.

Two possible problems with this plan:1. the plants have to be watered every couple of days, probably; 2. these are tropicals and have to be brought in for the winter, and you probably have no place to put them. Answer - get in touch with an interior landscaping company that will provide the plants on a limited lease agreement, meaning they will bring them to you, and pick them up again in the fall; they will also care for them, if that fits your budget, or show you how to care for them yourself. You can ask the companies you talk to for their suggestions. I think this might work better for you than investing in more elaborate plantings that can take the winter, although that would certainly be a good plan if you were in a long-term situation.

I blog about houseplants at http://theficuswrangler.blogspot.com/ , also link to YouTube and see my videos.
    Caring for outdoor plants in pots is pretty much the same as caring for them indoors, just a lot more water.
  • PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    il y a 10 ans
    Thought I would just add the name of a company in NYC that might help you: Horticultural Help, at 917-887-8601, ask for Mr. Will Creed, also at www.horticulturalhelp.com
  • Brenda
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Jessica - any updates? WE WANNA SEE PHOTOS!!! ;)
  • Jessica R
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    It's almost done!! I will post updated photos hopefully by Friday!!
  • PRO
    Rocky Mountain Iron Logs
    il y a 10 ans
    Jessica, not sure if you ever decided to add a fire pit to your design. I realize that I'm real late to your party ;-)

Here's an idea to really make your patio cozy, uber cool and much more comfortable/enjoyable. We make Artistic Steel Logs for fire pits and outdoor fireplaces. They will allow you to literally enjoy your patio year round. I'll attach a couple pics here but feel free to check our our website or our houzz page for more. Let me know if you want/need any more info -- be happy to help !
  • Jessica R
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Okay... here it is! I really love it! My big purchases were the rug, the pots and all of the flowers. Nothing that broke the bank, but I think they make a big difference. It's hard to see, but I planted a bunch of different varieties of Coleus along the back strip. Hopefully they'll fill in the space as the summer progresses. Thank you all SO much for your help! I can't wait to sit back there with a friends and cocktails!
  • Jessica R
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    For the sake of easy comparison, here's the "before"...
  • studio10001
    il y a 10 ans
    Congratulations, Jessica! It looks clean and bright and ready for cocktails! Enjoy your summer entertaining!!
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 10 ans
    I like your idea of coleus. It'll add cool shades. The space looks nicer and more inviting than it was before. Have fun!
  • Anum Ismail
    il y a 10 ans
    Love the blue pots
  • handymam
    il y a 10 ans
    Great job Jessica! I know you will enjoy many lovely summer evenings in your new space!
  • madaboutvegas
    il y a 9 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 9 ans

craigslist for bargains - when you know what you want - amazing how cheap people sell things when the need to move away

• handymam
    il y a 9 ans

2 year old post. See above to see how her space came out.

• PRO
    Eagle Bay Hardscapes
    il y a 7 ans

You'd be amazed at what some simple outdoor lighting options can do for your space. Also, consider a firepit for entertaining and more of a design aesthetic.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».