Houzz Logo Print
bradley_singer95

Design Help Please

Bradley Singer
il y a 4 ans

Hey guys

we are completing on the sale of our house next week and was wondering if anyone can help how can we create more bedrooms upstairs and is there anyway of creating a ensuite or walk in bedroom off one of the large bedrooms. As much input would be appreciated.

1. Downstairs we plan to knock the wall through between kitchen and dinning room but still keep the utility area to separate for washing and the downstairs toilet.

2. the living room and dining/kitchen will have access through a double door as we would like to sometimes close that off as kids may play in the dinning area.

3. we plan to either put a extension or modern conservatory at the back of the house leading out from the dinning room.

hope anyone can help or if they have any views on our design ideas

thanks

front living room

dining room

kitchen

bedroom 1

bedroom 2 rear

dressing/bedroom 4

bedroom three which leads into dressing/bedroom 4

shower room

main bathroom

what you think putting a modern conservatory at the rear?

garden we've got kids so was planning to replace with astro turf as we dont want the headache of cutting the grass.

final image of the floorplan

Commentaires (34)

• Maths Wife
    il y a 4 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 4 ans

You may well be able to get more bedrooms by splitting Bedroom 1 and having a re-config, but this is a bettter layout to start with. The pic of the main bathroom looks large, so should stand to be split in to two.

I personally wouldn't put a conservatory up these days..........If you think you need to, then you could extend the Kitchen / Diner for more space, but it's not strictly necessary.

I would convert the garage to a second reception room, as they aren't much good for cars these days as they are nearly always too small.

A floor plan with room sizes would help enormously.

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Hey

Thank you for the tips I’ve added the rooms dimensions

Extended Lounge - 5.51m x 5.11m (18'1 x 16'9)
    Dining Room - 3.02m x 2.72m (9'11 x 8'11) Utility - 3.30m x 2.57m (10'10 x 8'5)
    Kitchen - 4.50m x 2.90m (14'9 x 9'6)
    hallway landing
    Ground Floor Wc
    Separate Shower Room
    Main Bathroom - 3.48m x 2.59m (11'5 x 8'6) Bedroom One - 3.96m x 3.28m (13'0 x 10'9) Bedroom Two - 3.48m x 2.87m (11'5 x 9'5) Bedroom Three - 3.23m x 2.92m (10'7 x 9'7)
    Bedroom four - 2.77m x 2.67m (9'1 x 8'9)

• Discussions associées

Besoin d'aide, please Help me ;-) pour aménagement salon salle à mange

Q

Commentaires (11)
    Bonjour Laeti Jaa, Je viens de voir votre message. Tout d'abord vous habitez où ? Pour ma part je propose des plans et 3D 'à distance', le coût de la prestation est peu onéreux. Vous pouvez aller voir mes avis, des personnes que j'ai aidé à distance. Si vous souhaitez un devis d'honoraires, je vous prie de me contacter directement sur mon mail archipure.lr@gmail.com. Bon W-E.
    ... Voir plus

Dilemme sur mon salon-séjour-cuisine. Please help ^^

Q

Commentaires (5)
    Je peindrais avec un gris très clair les murs de la cuisine. J'imaginerais de la briquette de la télé à l'arrière du conduit du poele (à la place du rouge). A la place du mur jaune une couleur très pâle (blanc cassé / beige très très clair). Les petits plus (selon budget) Je reverrais l'entrée et l'organisation de la cuisine. Je mettrai une verrière (garder un peu de lumière et renforcer l'esprit industriel que vous souhaitez) : Je trouve la table de la cuisine inutile car tellement près de la table de la salle à manger. Je garderai le plateau mais y glisserais les rangement dessous Ainsi vous aurez une vraie entrée délimitée + une vraie cuisine avec rangements supplémentaires et plan de travail conservé. J'opterais pour un nouveau meuble TV (avec rangements également). Je changerais le tapis gris foncé devant le canapé par un tapis "ficelle". Reste à savoir si vous aimeriez séparer la zone bureaux de la zone salon. Cet espace pourrait aussi avoir un peu de couleur sur les murs : reprise blanc cassé / beige très clair avec quelques étagères, tableaux déco accrochés. Voilà quelques idées...
    ... Voir plus

How do you choose your interior designer ?

Q

Commentaires (2)
    Les recommandations permettent de s'assurer que l'on travaille avec le bon partenaire, et c'est important pour démarrer une relation de confiance.
    ... Voir plus

Please Help ! Pour l’aménagement d’un studio de 30m2

Q

Commentaires (11)
    Bonjour Stéphanie, Petite question : êtes-vous en train d'acheter sur plan ? La salle d'eau PMR est très grande en proportion du reste du studio ? Avez vous la possibilité de bouger la cloison entre la salle d'eau et la partie cuisine ? Et quel type de lit voudriez-vous installer ? 140 ? 120 ? 90 ? Votre idée de créer une petite séparation d'entrée est bonne et peut vous permettre d'obtenir un placard supplémentaire ainsi que de créer votre coin nuit. Une simple cloison peut faire l'affaire. En tête du lit vous pouvez installer des étagères et créer ainsi une bibliothèque. La séparation du coin nuit et du coin salon peut se faire avec un claustra. Par ailleurs - et si c'est possible - en réduisant la salle d'eau, vous pouvez vous organiser un coin repas. Bref dans vos 30 m² vous pouvez tout intégrer. Je vous joins un plan fait rapidement pour que ce soit plus parlant ... et comme il manque des côtes, il est sous réserve... Cordialement, Catherine
    ... Voir plus
  • Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Outside - Garage - 5.72m x 2.57m (18'9 x 8'5)

• J
    il y a 4 ans

How about making the entry to the master suite through the main bathroom. That becomes your ensuite, and room for built in robes. Not huge amount of cupboard space, Maybe you could take some space from bedroom 3.

Reinstate the shower over bath in the shower room.

If you want another bedroom upstairs I think you'd need to extend over the utility / WC. With the entry from the landing next to the existing shower room. And you could extend your kitchen at the same time.

I'd also consider using at least part of the garage for another room. Study, playroom or another bedroom.

• Maths Wife
    il y a 4 ans

The sizes of the bedrooms can't be right:- Bedroom 2 and Bedroom 4 ( dressing room ) don't work. Bedroom 4 has to be 3.48 wide as it's the same as the bathroom beyond it, Bedroom 2 can't possibly be right as it's quite large and none of the rooms look like they measure 2.77 x 2.67.

• E D
    il y a 4 ans

Congrats on your house.

At the moment it looks endearingly old fashioned.

I’m sure you’ll turn it into a home suitable for your lives.

There‘s good advice to be had here.

:)

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Hey sorry here’s the correct dimensions for bedroom 4

Bedroom Four - 2.77m x 2.67m (9'1 x 8'9)

Bedroom One - 3.96m x 3.28m (13'0 x 10'9)
    Bedroom Two - 3.48m x 2.87m (11'5 x 9'5)
    Bedroom Three - 3.23m x 2.92m (10'7 x 9'7)

• J
    il y a 4 ans

Looks like the bathroom and bed 4 are about 2600 wide. In line with the garage below, which I presume is a two story extension.

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Yes was originally a 3 bedroom house when built in the 60s but then in the 90s it had a new porch built and extension on top of the garage.

Do you think going half the garage for a room or more as I don’t want a small room but also we need storage for like some tools and other bits and bobs we store.

The bedrooms I was hoping to build a 5 bedroom somewhere and one with a en-suite for me and the wife

• Maths Wife
    il y a 4 ans

I don't think you'll squeeze another bedroom unless you go over the extension at the back ( if you are able ). Therefore, I'd go for this layout if not extending.

If you could extend backwards, it changes the ball game considerably, and, after much consideration, i'd probably do something like this:-

• rinked
    il y a 4 ans

What doest the front of your house look like? Because when I add up the lounge and diner, the depth is quite a bit more as the bedrooms together.

• Maths Wife
    il y a 4 ans

I did that Rinq, they don't add up, the dining room / kitchen / utility are all extension. Take them out. Bedroom 4 and the main bathroom don't add up either, so i went with this:-

• kerry_greenhalgh50
    il y a 4 ans

Hi. Do you need 5 beds for your family or 4 beds for family and 1 guest room? If the latter, you could always convert part of the garage into a bedroom/study with an en-suite in part of the utility (plumbing will be there/nearby). Good luck with everything - looks like a house with great potential!

• Gabby Wong
    il y a 4 ans

I wonder if the downstairs dimensions are also wrong?

Looking at the photo of the back of the house there doesn’t appear to be a single storey extension there, and as rinq implied it’s unusual to have it staggered at the front... but maybe that’s how it is here?

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

hey guys thank you for the advise! really appreciate your help!

rinq - here is a picture of the front of the property

the extension at the back only houses the utility room and the small window on the left is a small downstairs bathroom.

Dimensions - as for dimensions these were taken off the agents advert page when it was listed online.

Maths Wife - thank you for the designs, is there anyway in putting the ensuite to the large front bedroom as my wife prefers having a bedroom to the front. We probably will extend the house in a few years time but at the moment money is being spent purchasing it and refurb.

kerry_greenhalgh50 - ive got 5 young children all under the age of 5 so wanted to try and accommodate for them for the long term. But, who knows maybe 5 years i may sell and go for something bigger.

Garage - I was thinking converting the whole garage into a room and building a separate garage infront of the house but wasn't sure if it would be possible? the garage would go on the grass area. my neighbour where the garage would be going is a bungalow so would this affect them?

• rinked
    il y a 4 ans

If you're planning to extend in the long run (as in might), plan this out already, so you know where you can go right now. Or open up the kitchen-dining wall, give everything some new pain and live with the upstairs for now.

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

As the garden isn’t big I think we are going to get a extension in the roof to be honest hence why were considering going into the garage and building a room.

Do you reckon we could build a garage in that grass area?

• rinked
    il y a 4 ans

What about a second floor? Or on top of the front? Extend the utility and two stories (and create a covered patio in front of the kitchen-dining)?

Wouldn't build in front of the living room, as it would take away the light in there.

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

could i put any skylights in the roof of the pitched roof covering along the front of the house?

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Wow love that design! I take it the current shower room we would need to extend out a little as it’s small to fit and separate shower.

Yeh I would love to make a five bedroom with the current layout but plan to do the roof in a couple of years and may just create 2 more bedrooms upstairs

The new main bedroom could that be split into a walk-in wardrobe and en-suite. I only say walk-in wardrobe because my wife has loads of clothes! You don’t understand I mean loads!

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

But for the lounge lighting I was thinking installing roof lights would that not replace the light from the front?

• rinked
    il y a 4 ans

When doing a new roof, opt for two large dormers (gable) on the front of the house. 'Pull' them outwards a little for some extra floorspace.

• rinked
    il y a 4 ans

" I take it the current shower room we would need to extend out a little as it’s small to fit and separate shower. "

As far as I can see the shower room in Maths Wife floorplan is already bigger. Bottom wall was Bed3 wall. She moved the landing, I guess. Great layout by the way!

• Jonathan
    il y a 4 ans

Great house. I have lots of thoughts too.
    Firstly- check with the planning office but I would bet you will never get planning to build a garage in your front garden. Even if you could I think it would devalue the house as your main reception room would loose any outlook.
    Secondly you need to check if you have enough head height to do a loft extension- you might not.
    You also need to be realistic about which walls can be moved- the 1990s extension will be built on the side, the wall between that and the original house is not going to be cheap to remove (although putting in an extra aperture is easy.). You also can’t just shift the middle front bedroom along as this would require moving the window which adds significant time for planning and work to make the house handsome again.
    Your stated plan is to eventually extend behind the dining room- I think your plan should be to extend behind the current kitchen and utility because this way the extended rooms are close to hall spaces for access.
    Personally I think you should convert the garage and buy a garden shed for tools and toys. Personally I think that with five young children a boot room near the front door would be invaluable for coats and shoes and push chairs and school bags soon. I would use the front of the garage as bootroom- the next people might make this into a study.
    I think a big utility room will be invaluable to store all the supplies your growing family needs- there is probably an argument for more than one washer and dryer too.
    Whilst few people can afford to extend as soon as they have bought a new home I think you need to be planning for it- you have bought a three bedroomed house with an extra bedroom over the garage that you can only access through another. Soon you will need more bedrooms although of course the kids are currently at a great age for sharing. Personally I think you should extend bedroom three making it the master by taking some room from the current master, using the bedroom over the garage as a dressing room and creating a new ensuite and smaller family bathroom above the utility. That would leave two good double for the kids now and the plan would have to be to extend later.
    Later on I would put a 3m extension at the back for a new kitchen with two bedrooms above- I suspect this plan adds the most value too.

• Maths Wife
    il y a 4 ans

Agree with with absolutely everything Jonathan says.

You shouldn't have a re-jig upstairs now without thinking about where you would put stairs in the future, if you were going in to the loft.

Just looking at the pics, I don't think you'll have the head height to do that. So, as Jonathan says extending out the back and then over the top is the only way to gain more bedrooms.

Agree with Jonathan on his point about storage for coats and prams etc nearest to the front door, which is why his long term plan works the best.

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

But the roof is old wouldn’t we would plan to replace and reconstruct it to fit bedrooms there

• Jonathan
    il y a 4 ans

Thanks Mrs Math.
    Here are the plans again as they appear to be showing as tiny on the app.

• Jonathan
    il y a 4 ans

The roof is still many decades away from being at the end of its life- cleaning it will make it look like new.
    You are right that you could raise your roof. Again you need to check the possibility with planners- this is only really likely if neighbours have set a precedent.
    Have neighbours converted their lofts? If so how have they done it?

• Jonathan
    il y a 4 ans

I was just thinking about your earlier comment about the garden not being huge.
    At the moment the path cuts it in half and makes it seem smaller and the borders between the patio and the grass divide the space again. With these things gone and the patio cleaned this space will feel spacious.
    Ps Astro turf is expensive to lay because of early ground work- I would put this at the bottom of the list and if you are short on time perhaps Grandad can help short term by mowing the lawn for you.

• Maths Wife
    il y a 4 ans

Jonathan's right again, you can't just plan to raise the roof, it's not a given that you'd get permission. You can have a free 'pre-planning' meeting with the council and ask them if you might be likely to get permission to do that.

If the answer was yes, then you could take a chance on re-arranging the bedrooms as they are now, but you would still need to provide for access to a loft in an already cramped space. No point doing it twice.

You would not alter the bedrooms as I've shown if your'e thinking of putting in a loft conversion as there's no provision for another set of stairs.

In summary:-

1... I don't think a loft conversion is practical or possible with the roof as is, and that you're probably unlikely to get permission to do so.

2. Rinq's idea of bringing the bedrooms forward via a dormer at the front, might be possible, you'd need to seek planning advice, but it would provide an answer to the bedroom sizes. Especially as the ground floor is perfectly big enough currently, also given that you convert the garage.

3. Going forward if you see yourselves staying in the house, going out at the back and up is the best answer.

4. Given all the above, you would still decide at this stage what you are going to do in the future, do not alter anything now that you need to vastly alter again.

• Bradley Singer
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 4 ans

Hey

The roof conversion I will contact a local architect and council to seek some advice. Sorry I never thought it would be difficult to get a roof change....as for garden I think I will just have it returfed as you said the cost for fake grass is costly.

• Maths Wife
    il y a 4 ans

Before you incur Architect fees i'd ask the council if you are likely to get permission to raise the roof, as if the answer is no, and it may well be, then you won't need the architect. Not being negative to architects, but the answer will be, they won't know, you can draw up a plan and submit it, but the buck stops with the council. If you see my point?

• PRO
    AC Design Solutions Ltd
    il y a 4 ans

If you need any advice regarding planning please get in touch.

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».