Houzz Logo Print
absunitha

Ideas for family living space please

absunitha
il y a 3 ans

We decided to use the space near our dining table as a family area. See pictures.
At the moment we have set it up with what we have but I am looking for inspiration/ideas to make this space more cozy snd appealing. Would be great if you can include pics so I can visualise please.

The plan is to:

1. Place a 65 inch TV above the buffet/ sideboard table.
  2. Get a rug for the lounge area - any suggestions for colour?
  3. Throws and cushions - colour suggestions?

Thank you.

Commentaires (31)

• PRO
    Mytihomes
    il y a 3 ans

While it's challenging without measurements the room appears quite large therefore It may work best if the couch/sofa is placed half way along the room, closer to the TV, just south of the window, allowing 2 zones. Find a rug to fit the floor (from the buffet to under the couch) in a darker colour to ground the space. It would be easier to see what else is in the dining room to help with colour selection. A nice colourful rug that you can pull colours through to cushions or a curtain/blind may help. A nice reading chair for 2 with a small bookshelf can fill the other half of the room. Hope it's been helpful.

• Kate
    il y a 3 ans

Earthy type colours work best with terracotta. Here is one inspiration. Ty typing in rug on terracotta floor in Houzz to see other pics

• Jennifer Bradley
    il y a 3 ans

We have terracotta in a couple of places (walls, couch) and some natural Australian bushland colours also go well with it - like washed out eucalypt tones or yellow ochre ones. (I've a book called Decorating with Australian Colours that has a range of actual pant and laminex names as well as pictures of rooms. It's a good source of inspiration.)

• Maria Anghel
    il y a 3 ans

You have a lot of space, so bring the couch closer to the windows and in the back put a table and some chairs. Brighten up the room with light colors, white, beige, yellow (for the couch throws and pillows) and a light rug is in order.

https://pin.it/A1AoEaT

• searle1298
    il y a 3 ans

Jennifer Bradley could you give me some more information about the book Decorating with Australian Colours, who is the author, publisher. I would like to purchase it.

• Sally Wyatt
    il y a 3 ans

You could zone the room into two spaces: the tv-watching space and a desk space. Each zone should have its own large, rust or ochre-coloured rug. Look for real wool, not synthetics. The couch could be relocated to the centre of the room and turned 90 degrees so it faces the buffet unit.

You have large, bare walls. Look for much bigger artworks and perhaps relocate the inspirational quote pictures elsewhere, to smaller walls.

• Paresh Kunverji
    il y a 3 ans

The wall you want to put the tv I would personally have a timber finish wall so that it creates a different look of the area and will also look welcoming

• KK1000
    il y a 3 ans

I think buffet is to tall to put Tv above it. Maybe get a lower and longer Tv unit in the same place, bring the sofa closer, get a rug of decent size so it’s not looking small in the place 2 x3 m , and move buffet to where sofa is now. You will need a coffee table to complete the look preferably to match new TV unit/ stand

• Mia Kelleher
    il y a 3 ans

I agree with the above comments re terracotta. The cool tones of the navy chairs and green sofa clash with the warm terracotta hue.

• j450n74y
    il y a 3 ans

The plantation shutters will do well with a fresh coat of white paint. Maybe a Dulux lexicon half which will make the space brighter.

The flooring may work well with some luxury vinyl boards without needing to retile or much work.

Distance between couch and wall for TV seems too far. What's the distance?

• K Grassi
    il y a 3 ans

A decorator once told me to position interesting items in each corner to draw they eye to them, making the room seem larger. For example, a glittery floor vase or a stunning lamp would draw the eye to an overlooked corner, making the whole room fill to capacity.

• Pia
    il y a 3 ans

There's a lot of things I'd consider which would require asking about 7 million questions, but instead I'll just add some nice pictures :) good luck with it!

• Βουλα Ρηγου
    il y a 3 ans

Terracotta floor tiles love jute or sisal rugs, easy to care and very affordable too. Also I thing you can change the cushion of the couch using white or off white linen or canvas (much cheaper the second one). Use white as neutral base and add colours as you go.

• josey griffin
    il y a 3 ans

Get the app Pinterest. It’s fantastic. Search for anything you want. Lots of decorating ideas on there.

• josey griffin
    il y a 3 ans

Paint. Use frenchchic paint. Paint the cane setting. Paint the fan. The floor colour doesn’t go with the walls. Paint the tiles if you like, then seal.

• Christine Freeman
    il y a 3 ans

With a great space like this try to organise by taking the natural view and placing a couple of eye catching favorites only, not clutter. Use the natural flow and separate by rugs and I would add floating shelves to optimise your space. This is where you can place your display items and alter site lines.

• Amanda Ruck
    il y a 3 ans

Searle1298 I found this for inspiration on Australian Colours

https://www.templeandwebster.com.au/style-and-advice/Using-Australian-Colour-E9915#

• searle1298
    il y a 3 ans

Thanks Amanda

• simonenotsimon
    il y a 3 ans

Paint the floor white (special paint), paint the sideboard white and spray paint the wicker in the couch white. Get rid of the ceiling fan or get a white plantation timber fan. Move the couch from the corner and place a lamp table (white or glass), a generous white shade lamp and a couple of decorative pieces such as a small vase with flowers. Replace the ceiling light with a suspended fabric drum style light as large as the room will take. Add a few large indoor plants such as monstera. Include a white or glass coffee table. Key word white. It’ll look great and very plantation style🪴🪴🥂. Choosing white also means you can just paint what you have or paint over treasures from hard rubbish ‘finds’.

• searle1298
    il y a 3 ans

I would caution about painting the floor tiles white. We did that, with special paint, on a bathroom floor. The frequent walking on the floor wore the paint off in patches and it looked a lot worse than if we had left it as the original blue tiles. Although the same special paint on the wall tiles lasted well.

• roseB
    il y a 3 ans

You have a wonderfully colourful cushion in the photo, so if you love colour take your inspiration from that. I’d paint 2 walls something cheerful and add colour in your choices for other things. Just start with a colour you love. If it’s to be a family space it needs to be happy not beige.

• rna1962
    il y a 3 ans

Absunitha, I would love to know what you finally decided. I’ve just noticed you posted this last year. I actually love terracotta tiles. They are a funny fashion. I’m nearly 60 and have watch people embrace them with great enthusiasm, only to pull them all up a few years later, claiming they have no idea why they ever thought to use them. This is usually as people decide to wall to wall carpet everything and so the fashions change again. Tiles of any style are the most durable and easiest to clean. They add colour and texture. I also loved your very comfortably cushioned couch. I thought the blue complemented the the tiles well. I found a picture that proves this, that I’ll include. I also have a design for your living area that you may not have thought of, that would allow for a larger group to gather and watch sport, concerts, or non gender biased movies together. I based my measurements on approximates, by using your tiles as a rough guide.

• Utilisateur Houzz - 477105008
    il y a 2 ans

We have terracotta tiles too. I really don’t like them but to replace them is out of the question; so I had to deal with them. Houzz gave me help when this rug was suggested. It became the focal point & I am so grateful for that input. I found a great glass bowl & that just completed the “look”. Also I wasn’t one for colour& at 68 I had to just go with it. Not a designer’s room, but it’s fine for us.

il y a 2 ans

This is the bowl that helped je finalise the room. Good luck with your terracotta tiles.
    Lorraine

• User
    il y a 2 ans

I really like what you have done Lorraine -- classy with a dash of colour .

If it was me , I'd go with a small abstract picture too , maybe 30 x 40 or so , in similar or toned down colours similar to your bowl and rug -- at present the two most interesting pieces are quite low , and IMO it just needs something small but complimentary to lift your eyes too -- you'll find something a bit generic but with the right colours and some knifed on texture on-line for around $50-80 .

Even a black and white print in a black frame ( to reference the tv stand and display unit ) would be good too , or how about both and see which you prefer , for a bit over $100 !

il y a 2 ans

Oh don’t think I haven’t tried! Lol. I have an intransigent husband. Holes in walls? Nooooo! I’ve done well in the rest of the house, so many “holes” - 🙂. There are only 2 walks I can put art on & you can’t see them in these photos; it’s always going to be a work in progress. Thank you for your advice, I will start looking again.
    Lorraine

• PRO
    Ange Robertson Interiors
    il y a 2 ans

Here’s a soft Mediterranean palette that would work for you.

• Kam Mick
    l'année dernière

I would first repaint the walls white, always so much easier with a blank non clashing colours palette (especially for those who struggle in this area) and stick to the navy / timber look you have there, it’s lovely.. against the white shutters, imagine walls too…😍

• PRO
    Richard
    l'année dernière

Thanks

France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».