Houzz Logo Print
webuser_891671212

where to put a pillar support in kitchen?

I have been advised I need a support pillar in my kitchen, as knocking down internal walls to create an open plan kitchen/living/dining room. The removals are in red and the island is there for show. The pillar needs to be located close to the number 3 in the middle of the image...but I don't know how to incorporate it?! Stand alone?! Made into a feature?! Attached to a peninsula?!

Any ideas or images gratefully received! Thank you

Commentaires (11)

• Dee
    l'année dernière

If you keep the little wall section directly behind the toilet wall you can create a little utility / pantry area. This will reduce your steel length and could avoid you needing a pillar.
    I’m no engineer, but I would have assumed you can get a steel long enough as is anyway without needing a pillar at position 3 on your plan.

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié Dee
  • CWD
    l'année dernière

Not answering the question - but does your WC need to be that big? Put the toilet backing onto the understairs and you'll get away with the room being smaller I think, as you don't need full headspace above toilet like you do at the sink. I like that it's got the window but that can be changed to a smaller window. Much prefer more room in the kitchen.

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié CWD
  • Sonia
    l'année dernière

I would have thought a structural engineer or builder would advise on that? My sister’s beam was within the peninsula. The only picture I have is this one of the not quite finished kitchen.

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié Sonia
  • PRO
    Walk Interior Architecture & Design
    l'année dernière

it looks like you could have a better/bigger kitchen design using the LH wall, rotate the island and include a 'feature' pillar in the island. you need to consider the kitchen and other furniture items that will be used in the space to help with the overall design - so more cohesive.

Brockenhurst Cottage - Kitchen extension · Plus d'infos

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié Walk Interior Architecture & Design
  • Nate218
    l'année dernière

It doesn't exactly answer your dilemma, but perhaps you could make a feature of the pillar by using a reclaimed one, similar to this...

• Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212
    Auteur d'origine
    l'année dernière

Thank you all so much for your comments.

• It is a structural engineer who has advised us re: pillar. Just not the design!
    • We are unable to have a full steel beam due to the cost involved and the work that would be required on the foundations and upper floor to support a full beam
    • Yes, the toilet will be slightly smaller, with the window half the size

Thank you again

• cannonja
    l'année dernière

Get a 2nd opinion 

A Pillar will look ridiculous 

Change design to incorporate into a wall if possible 

But if you have money anything is possible!!

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié cannonja
  • Jonathan
    l'année dernière

I agree- second opinion needed

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié Jonathan
  • PRO
    DOR Architecture
    l'année dernière

try to speak with a few good local structural engineers who visit the property with you. It may be that the span for the steel is wide and needs a deeper (and heavier) beam which then needs columns and foundations to carry the loads etc. Or it may be to do with the soil type or even trees in the garden. Definitely a real life structural engineer visiting the house in real time is needed. good luck

www.dorarch.com

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié DOR Architecture
  • pauldrowan
    l'année dernière

Hi, whilst I agree that another opinion and hopefully no pillar would be the best solution, you asked for ideas so here are two. In one of them what I’ve done is just cut and paste your existing kitchen plan to show you that the island could be lined up underneath the existing rear wall where a pillar would be needed. However this would affect the windows/doors arrangement at the rear wall. If you do need a pillar in the space then the rear wall plan would probably be better revisited to address the new flow/traffic lines through the space.

Utilisateur Houzz - 891671212 a remercié pauldrowan
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».