Houzz Logo Print
lam_nguyen2788

Exterior needs Help!!

Lam Nguyen
il y a 10 ans
Dernière modification : il y a 10 ans
Just bought the house. The column look like things look cheap and old school. Paint definitely needs to be changed and landscaping is a must. Front aluminum door does not match the beautiful 8 ft entry doors its hiding.

Commentaires (37)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    il y a 10 ans
    Dernière modification :il y a 10 ans
    Lam, try to delete your first post. Picture is not as good as this one.
    http://www.houzz.com/discussions/840156/Exterior-needs-extreme-help

Here is a color suggestion.
    Formal French Kitchen PIedmont · Plus d'infos
  • Lam Nguyen
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Thanks JudyG!
    The Colors are nice. What color are in play in this picture?
  • Discussions associées

need help with my studio

Q

Commentaires (0)
    im renovating the smal studio 32 sq meter . i would like some help
    ... Voir plus

Choosing an Interior Designer

Q

Commentaires (2)
    So do you think an architect is necessary? This is my decision.
    ... Voir plus

Aménagement petite bande de jardin / terrasse bois: Help needed

Q

Commentaires (4)
    Bonjour, Dans un premier temps, je pense qu'il est nécessaire de déplacer le Mimosa sur la parcelle engazonnée qui se situe à côté. Le système racinaire de cet arbre est traçant sur un rayon pouvant atteindre plusieurs mètres. Auquel cas, le mimosa risque de menacer les fondations de la terrasse et de la piscine. 1/ Vous pouvez conserver l'idée de canisses en tant que brise-vue partiel avec le voisin et l'agrémenter avec une haie paysagère. Pour la haie, essayer d'allier différentes espèces persistantes comme par exemple : Oranger du Mexique, Ciste, petites variétés de Pittospores,... Restez sur une hauteur de 1m50 maximum. Possibilité de créer une bordure de vivaces ou bien de graminées selon vos envies, le long de la terrasse pour apporter un peu de couleurs et de diversité sur les hauteurs et formes des végétaux. 2/ Pour faire place au premier point ci-dessus et à la pergola, il est préférable de déplacer l'Olivier en pot au coin de la terrasse, toujours sur le gazon. Il se situera en diagonale avec le second Olivier. 3/ En ce qui concerne les pots et bacs, vous pouvez rester sur les matériaux anciens (bois et terre cuite) déjà présent. Privilégiez des végétaux de petites tailles (vivaces, graminées, petites plantes méditerranéennes,...) pour apporter de la légèreté, des touches de couleurs, parfums ou autres éléments. Ci-joint, je vous partage quelques rendus 3D que j'ai réalisé qui sont proche de votre projet. J'espère que ces différents conseils vous aideront dans votre projet d'aménagement.
    ... Voir plus

NEED HELP T3 à rénover

Q

Commentaires (6)
    Bonjour, Sans les mesures précises ou au moins une échelle de dimension, c'est difficile de vous aider. D'autant plus que le plan n'a pas l'air correct. Par exemple, le séjour est sensée être beaucoup plus grand que la cuisine en terme de m2, mais sur le plan, il semble plus petit. La salle de bain paraît minuscule. Idem pour les chambres. La chambre de 12m2 est plus grande que le séjour de 18m2. Il faudrait demander un plan plus fidèle à la réalité avec les côtes, les éléments techniques (murs porteurs, gaines...), les emplacements des portes et fenêtres... Sans tous ces éléments, je crains que personne ne puisse vous apporter d'idée. Belle journée.
    ... Voir plus
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    il y a 10 ans
    I agree with Judy's choice of reference.
    When building a garden, always start with traditional.
    You can also try edging: shrubs, a few evergreens to keep building blocks of landscape, and some seasonal flowering for color
    http://vodent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Landscaping-Ideas-for-Houses.jpg
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    il y a 10 ans
    What surface is the substrate?
  • Lam Nguyen
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    it seems to be sort of concrete painted over
  • PRO
    il y a 10 ans
    Okay, it looks like stucco, but it's hard to tell from the photo.
  • PRO
    il y a 10 ans
    I really like the gray color up above... it looks great! I would add come landscaping as well. It's an in expensive way to improve things.
    Lam Nguyen a remercié Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
  • PRO
    il y a 10 ans
    I would figure out what the substrate is before applying the paint. Make sure to get a product that will adhere well to the surface. The paint store can help you with that. Best of luck!
  • Lam Nguyen
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    Would the gray color up above match the color of the shingles?
  • PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    il y a 10 ans
    I like JudyG's color suggestion - I'd take out the front aluminum doors to expose the entry door - I think it would great with some palms that stay fairly low, like dwarf or sago palms, Australian tree ferns and some colorful plants below that are perennials so you have the color year round - dwarf bird of paradise, lilies, agapanthus, ferns and ivy geranium could work depending on the light the area gets
    Lam Nguyen a remercié HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
  • PRO
    A Yard You'll Love, Inc
    il y a 10 ans
    Because your front door is recessed (hidden) you need to draw attention to it with color AND the shape of your landscaping. Use planting beds to create a funnel that ends at the front door. I realize your garage is probably taking up most of your side yard, but you can still curve the beds to suggest a funnel. Palms are difficult to use properly in a landscape because they are extremely strong architectural focal points. Use them very sparingly. If you have the resources, the true solution to how peculiar the front looks is to utilize all the extra concrete (which just looks like an industrial after thought now) by putting a pergola over it to create an outdoor area, but more importantly, to visually move the front door out where it can be seen. This solution works very well. I used it numerous times.
  • PRO
    garden design online
    il y a 10 ans
    I need to more pics of the house.
  • Lam Nguyen
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    here are a few more.
  • libradesigneye
    il y a 10 ans
    When you have a brown tone / earth tone roof, but built in white windows and doors, the one tone that works nicely with both of them (and isn't a parfait) is a green based neutral like camoflauge tones. Definitely take out the fake screen door things before you paint. The front garage conversion single door and man door would bother me from a security point of view - I'd restore the double car garage if I were in your shoes. Then, test some of these colors, and shift all your trim to a creamy beige - it will work better with the roof and bridge the eye to the white windows. Here are some to test . . . try bm sag harbor gray on the body of the house and bm coastal fog on all your trim / eaves, garage door. Get some updated classic oversized oil rubbed bronze finish light fixtures for the front and near the entry and go to the contractors supply to mix up some concrete stain after you pick out your paint colors so you can head in a kind of brown tone - they sell the powder that you can mix with water and spray on and immediately make the walks look better. Look into flowering shrubs between the path and the house in the courtyard and around the front of the home. . .

Look at how Judy G's makeover example uses a terrific classic new garage door - a carriage door option would do a lot for your home. Good Luck!
    Lam Nguyen a remercié libradesigneye
  • PRO
    garden design online
    il y a 10 ans
    A other design pic.
    Lam Nguyen a remercié garden design online
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    il y a 10 ans
    Paint the trim a deeper color. Stain the concrete walkway. Landscape nicely as above.
  • PRO
    Shuler Architecture
    il y a 10 ans
    I think the scale of your entry is off a bit. If you compare the size of the front door to the garage door and then add in the corner columns, everything looks a little out of proportion. So in addition to a new paint scheme, I'd think about some kind of entry element that breaks down the scale of these elements and creates some kind of transition from outside to in - either a covered porch idea or something as simple as an arbor. Take a look at the photos below to get an idea of what I am describing. The point of this little remodel was to break up the stark facade of this little house and to provide a meaningful entry to the house beyond. Without this porch element, my client was simply approaching a wall with windows - no context or interest as she entered her home.
  • leelee
    il y a 10 ans
    Are the aluminum doors for safety? Your neighborhood doesn't look dangerous. I'd remove those strange aluminum doors and let the main entry be the view.
  • Lam Nguyen
    Auteur d'origine
    il y a 10 ans
    The Home is located in sw Florida, a very nice neighborhood indeed. The doors I guess is more of a shield again bugs. You're right, I'd probably be better off removing the entire aluminum entryway.
  • leelee
    il y a 10 ans
    Yes, removing that would help the look of your home immensely. I'd have that done right away!
  • libradesigneye
    il y a 10 ans
    Lovely potential - I wasn't arguing with JudyG's color but trying to point you towards it . . . great look that would be updated . . . her image is a green based camoflauge tone.
  • yytcm
    il y a 10 ans
    JudyG's gray home is beautiful but you are so smart, Lam, to consider the color of your roof. It totally matters, it's not a changeable aspect unless you need a new roof, and so very many people simply ignore it. The great thing about gray, and all other colors, of course, is that they all have undertones with gray generally having green, blue or purple undertones. I agree with libradesigneye about the green undertone to go with your roof. If you have time to read some more about color and undertones, check out Maria Killam, a color expert from Canada. She teaches a system of understanding undertones which is fascinating (and costly) but she does tons of blogs about color and much else. You can check her out at http://www.mariakillam.com/working-with-grays/ for an article on working on interiors but the rules still apply. I'm excited for all the other ideas you're getting about landscaping and other changes. Everything seems doable and not overly expensive. Shuler Architecture's porch with open lanai is so charming. And Garden Design Online's tree out front reminds me of what we did in the home I shared with my late husband - so easy to do and made all the difference in the world. Hope you'll keep us informed on your progress. This should be such fun.
  • jabozell
    il y a 10 ans
    you have alot of fine examples of updating the look of your new home Lam, also living in SW Fl i understand some need to have a front screened entry, bugs and increased ventilation with the nicer Fl other season, however i agree that it is taking away from the overall look of the grand front entry, paint and landscaping are easy fixes, if you intend to remove the alumin. entry yourself it is salvageable as scrap and will pay higher if you can strip all the screws, screening etc and sell it to a local scrap yard or recycle center. best of luck to you, i like the idea of a darker trim color in the darker brown/gray shades any good paint center or large home improvement store should be able to provide you with smaller samples for a reasonable fee that will allow you to test a few different shades, remember to stand back view it from the street, from the driveway and walkway and in different lighting to get the best overall feel...landscaping ideas are easy enough to find here on houzz depending upon what type of them you wish to convey, tropical, beachy or coastal or all of the traditional forms., remember if you have pets to research many of our lovely palms and plants here drop seeds or have toxins that can be deadly.
  • yytcm
    il y a 10 ans
    Lam, forgot to mention Photoshop. It's a computer program that allows you to visualize your house or room in a different color. Don't have a clue as to how it works but someone among the posters here might. Think it would be great if you could superimpose JudyG's color on your house with your roof. Also, maybe drive around your neighborhood and see if anyone else has your roof color and a new paint color you like.
  • aak4
    il y a 10 ans
    Hi, congratulations on your house...it's gorgeous! If you just bought the house, I would wait at least a month or two before changing anything until you get a better feel for the house. Let your ideas dance around in your mind for a bit and then, execute! Look through magazines and online and keep the designs that catch your attention neatly organized in a folder. I like the idea of a trellis, painted in elegant white to match all the trims. I would also take out the storm door and paint the main entrance door white to counter-balance the garage door (too much white on that side). Right along the trellis, plant a climbing vine on each side of the trellis. Small palm plants or foundation plants would look nice around the perimeter of the concrete. To make the entrance even more welcoming, I would add a concrete water fountain and a few perennials (or annuals) on the left side of the entrance. If not enough money for a concrete fountain, then a concrete sitting bench surrounded by plants will also make a pleasing, welcoming entrance. Have fun and please post after pictures!
  • Patunya
    il y a 10 ans
    I just love this look, I think it would work on your house.
    [houzz=
    Fisher Road Residence · Plus d'infos
    ]
  • spenserh
    il y a 10 ans
    I really like what 'garden design online' pictured above.
    I have a entry similar to yours. :-) I'm part way through the re doing portion, so I'll take a pic to post later today. Also, I think you will want to address the downspout that empties on to the sidewalk in front. There is a whole lot of concrete currently at the front of your house and it wouldn't surprise me if you eventually decided to tear out everything that is not driveway and reshape the sidewalk.
  • PRO
    Trio Landscaping
    il y a 10 ans
    you have some great opportunities here- you can focus on keeping the front concrete if you want, but add a short wall parallel to the street a couple of feet from the walk for a courtyard wall- plant up both sides with short plants to create warmth and color- even if it is just a hedge of green.
    the traditional that Judy suggested is a great, but you could also go modern as well- depends on your sense of style.
  • aloycia
    il y a 10 ans
    change front door and replace it with aluminium sliding door
  • greenboat1
    il y a 10 ans
    I think the first and most important challenge is to convert back to the two car garage. The house has lost it's balance with the present conversion, but could be a beautiful home. I would also paint the house a cream, tan, or sand color and take the metal doors off to show beautiful natural wood or painted doors (maybe a pretty blue). The concrete in the front could be coated with a beautiful terra cotta painted finish to look like tile, and lastly landscaping to frame it all in and add the color back.This home has so much potential, and could be gorgeous.
  • Carmela Ferrantino Damante
    il y a 10 ans
    To add drama,make an "an airy way" by building a type of pergola .just long enough to span the open area from th front door to the end of the garage wall.
  • jccbaker
    il y a 10 ans
    Just to have a different perspective. Don't do anything to the front screened in porch until you've used it through a season. You may find that it is more beneficial to You for You to have the porch than it is for Others to have something nicer to look at.
  • Peggy Hardinge
    il y a 10 ans
    What would you think of an arch leading from the driveway up to the soon-to-be-removed screen doors in a contour that exactly mimics the arch of the front door? That way, when folks walking under the arch reach the front door it will seem like the perfect introduction and transition from the exterior to the interior of your house. It will flow.
    Oh, yes, that garage door/man door combo is really distracting from your awesome and high-end-looking front door. I'm assuming it leads into the grage but if the door leads into a hallway it may not work. The cut of the roof above the garage/man door makes me wonder if it does lead to a hallway rather than a double garage. Good luck, Lam!
  • jayvee1
    il y a 10 ans
    Definitely remove the aluminium entryway - it looks flimsy and out of scale.
  • ASN ASN
    il y a 10 ans
    would be really wise to get rid of the aluminum door,
    you could place two symmetrical facades ( put some pictures just to give an idea)...get a-porch like look..
    on the other hand I would use "pure white" ( for the trims etc) and a "beige-white or cream -white " color for the main building ( would go well with your red roof ), again attached another picture..
    welcome your visitors with two beautiful big plants on each side of the main door ..

and you could invest on the landscaping which can make a real statement...
    Good luck :)
  • leelee
    il y a 10 ans
    Lam, what have you done so far....have any decisions been made? Maybe you're busy removing the aluminum door?
France
Personnaliser mon expérience à l'aide de cookies

Houzz utilise des cookies et d'autres technologies de suivi similaires pour personnaliser mon expérience utilisateur, me proposer du contenu pertinent et améliorer ses produits et services. En cliquant sur « Accepter », j'accepte l'utilisation des cookies telle qu'elle est décrite plus en détail dans la Politique d'Utilisation des Cookies de Houzz. Je peux rejeter les cookies non essentiels en cliquant sur « Tout rejeter » ou « Gérer mes préférences ».